AVS Forum banner

2621 - 2640 of 5571 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,621
Update: Using the Sony remote did nothing to fix this problem :(
On the Android TV's I tested included the X900H... A restart fixed weird things like this and should be done here and there anyway.
Are you sure you turned off the All the Motionflow settings and then restarted the TV?
You could try custom and then put the sliders all the way down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am seeing conflicting info from Sony's page stating that the 4K HDR Processor X1 has Super Bit Mapping but looking at the X900H's product page, Super Bit mapping is nowhere to be found. Any reason as to why?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you
On the Android TV's I tested included the X900H... A restart fixed weird things like this and should be done here and there anyway.
Are you sure you turned off the All the Motionflow settings and then restarted the TV?
You could try custom and then put the sliders all the way down.
Hey, I appreciate the input, but yes I have tried all of that and more. I restart the TV by holding the power button down for a 5 seconds every couple days in hopes that it fixes the problem, but it doesn't. The TV has been unplugged for a few hours at the time I am typing this, so I will plug it back in tonight and see if that did anything. The problem is that the MotionFlow settings are clearly on, as I feel like I am watching a super smooth soap opera, even though all of the Motionflow settings are all set to off. I have gone so far as to to make ALL of the preset modes (Standard, Vivid, Game, etc.) match my preferred "Custom" settings, which include turning off all MotionFlow and Cinemotion settings.

·
Registered
163 Posts
X1 HDR chip and Super Bit Mapping

I am seeing conflicting info from Sony's page stating that the 4K HDR Processor X1 has Super Bit Mapping but looking at the X900H's product page, Super Bit mapping is nowhere to be found. Any reason as to why?
That's an unfortunate oversight that Sony needs to correct; the copy writer must have relied on the spec sheet from the old XI. As seen in the table at https://www.sony.com/electronics/picture-quality , the new X1 HDR chip definitely includes Super Bitmapping HDR.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's an unfortunate oversight that Sony needs to correct; the copy writer must have relied on the spec sheet from the old XI. As seen in the table at https://www.sony.com/electronics/picture-quality , the new X1 HDR chip definitely includes Super Bitmapping HDR.
Not necessarily. That page has a footnote on the 4K HDR Processor X1 that says “Feature availability of Super Bit Mapping depends on model.“

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's odd. Since it does include Super Bit mapping HDR, shouldn't we see an option for Smooth Gradation like all of the other processors that include Super Bit Mapping? Unless I'm mistaken, don't these go hand in hand with each other?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm looking to buy an 85" for my bedroom and the biggest concern I have is reflections. I was heavily leaning towards the Samsung Q80T until I learned about the X900H and the pricing makes it enticing. Additionally, Visio announced their P Series Quantum X 2020 will come in 85" and I've sort of been waiting to see that released along with pricing, but that hasn't happened.

I have zero gaming interests/special needs or even HDMI inputs.. my wife and I just watch a Netflix show/movie once in a while. I care mostly about black levels (in a dark bedroom) and not seeing any lights reflected during dark scenes. Also care about aesthetics (Samsung No Gap mount or LG Gallery Design), but not enough to pay too much for it. The TV will be wall mounted without a sound system (would consider a wall-mounted soundbar).

I know the opinions here are biased, but given my needs, does this seem like it would be the right TV to get? If not, what else should I consider? Is there any info out there about how reflections of 900H compared to 900F/950G? Looking for any thoughts to nudge me one way or another. Thanks!
85" might be too large for a bedroom. and you wont be able to wall mount it easily. The viewing distance also might be a consideration.
Also No gap mount might look asthetic however might not give the exact angle you need and there is no scope for avoiding refelections y tilting

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just picked up the Sony 900H this weekend and it is absolutely beautiful. The only things I can't quite figure out are related to the audio and the smart TV apps on Android TV. The issues i am seeing are the following:
1) No Dolby Digital coming through HDMI ARC. The receiver flickers and there is a static-like noise. If I change the setting for audio output to Dolby Digital, the issue goes away. There are no issues with Dolby Digital Plus audio if i stream from a Roku to my Yamaha RXV-473 receiver.

2) Sometimes, when I turn the TV on and stream straight from the TV, there is no audio at all. But if I switch to an HDMI source (Roku/DirecTV) and then switch back to AV4 (the input for TV ARC), the audio kicks in.

The receiver is old and and I will be updating it soon. But I was wondering if anyone else dealt with these issues?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good luck spending over 2 grand to run that on PC. Hardcore pc gamers will not use consumer grade TVs, the input lag and response times are much too high.
What are you talking about input lag being too high for hardcore PC gamers on consumer grade TVs? :confused: Do you have any idea what the actual input lag numbers of the average 144hz and 240hz gaming panels are? I'd suggest you take a look at battle(none)sense's videos on YouTube and compare and contrast a bit on Rtings.com.

You'll find that there are several TV's that are for instance 9.5ms input lag @ 1080p 60hz & 4K 60hz with the total number going down to 5-7ms in either 1080/4K VRR or 120hz modes. That's literally 1 to maybe 2 ms higher than competitive gaming panels and actually better than the average gaming monitor. So if you know what you're buying, that's just complete ballony ;) There's several high-end gaming monitors that are not aimed at the competitive market per se (read: non-TN) that have higher numbers than these TVs.

There's several reasons why hardcore PC gamers won't use TV's, but input lag is really not one of them anymore. Heck, if you go down the OLED route you won't find a single gaming monitor out there with faster pixel-response times either. Absolutely 0 to be exact. Sure, burn-in and all, but nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quantum TV's new, sarcastic Amazon review of the X900H

Dated July 5, 2020. and titled "Opposite Day With the X900H!" The gist is, "Everyone says it's flawless, so it must be true, even though the photos I'm attaching show otherwise."
He appears to have removed his original his original review from more than a month ago.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Dated July 5, 2020. and titled "Opposite Day With the X900H!" The gist is, "Everyone says it's flawless, so it must be true, even though the photos I'm attaching show otherwise."
He appears to have removed his original his original review from more than a month ago.
No TV is perfect. Not sure why he’s trying to measure this TV against perfection. For every pro he mentions, there’s a con. For every con, there’s a pro. In the end, would this TV make most buyers happy - yes.

There is a difference between taking away features and keeping features that matter. All makers do this. People complain about iPhones, yet Apples sells them by the trainload - many to complainers. The smoothing features were critical 2+ years ago when low quality content was most common and needed otherwise the TVs would not have produced pictures worth the money. Today, content - even low quality content - has improved so TVs probably won’t and shouldn’t be overly focused on upscaling and other features. 4K BR discs don’t need all that processing and is why people aren’t complaining about banding and DSE.

Quantum’s delivery gets in the way of his evaluation. I think it’s hard for him to separate the two. So I just watch him for what’s on the screen that I’ve trying to verify not find out.

·
Registered
787 Posts
No TV is perfect. Not sure why he’s trying to measure this TV against perfection. For every pro he mentions, there’s a con. For every con, there’s a pro. In the end, would this TV make most buyers happy - yes.

There is a difference between taking away features and keeping features that matter. All makers do this. People complain about iPhones, yet Apples sells them by the trainload - many to complainers. The smoothing features were critical 2+ years ago when low quality content was most common and needed otherwise the TVs would not have produced pictures worth the money. Today, content - even low quality content - has improved so TVs probably won’t and shouldn’t be overly focused on upscaling and other features. 4K BR discs don’t need all that processing and is why people aren’t complaining about banding and DSE.

Quantum’s delivery gets in the way of his evaluation. I think it’s hard for him to separate the two. So I just watch him for what’s on the screen that I’ve trying to verify not find out.

I've watched a ton of lower quality feeds like IPTV and dvdrips and too be honest I haven't noticed any banding at all. When watching some HDR 4k youtube demos I've seen it couple of times (mainly because I was looking for it and I was seating very close to the screen). 98% of time it shouldn't affect anyone. Like you said, no TV is perfect. For peeps buying any TV I would recommend buying from a place where you can easly return it. The overall QA for any brand is crap these days, no matter if you buy Sony, LG or Sammy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Okay I finally got the tv set up and mounted! I purchased the 85" version from Costco about 2 weeks ago. First off, I hope we get some settings posted soon so I can tweak it a bit more. I didn't go looking for problems but I don't see any banding at all. If it is there is is very subtle and I can't see it. I actually looked for banding though and I couldn't see anything remotely like what I have seen posted on this thread. I do think I see some DSE but more on that below.

I watched a few movies in 4k with Dolby Vision and didn't see anything that distracted me from the picture during the scenes (ie banding, etc). I do have dark corners like my old 900F which is normal. I set up the PS4 Pro quickly last night and put on Death Stranding. I used GAME picture mode and change the settings a bit. I honestly don't normally use GAME mode as it is to bright/artificial but that is just my opinion. I probably just need to tweak it more and it should look better. I can't remember which mode I used on the 900F but I could tell I was on a different one with how bright it was. Also it seemed to show the shortcomings more on the game (ie the main characters hair looked artificial and not smooth/natural like I remembered it). I am probably describing it wrong but that's just my quick take on it. I think I see some DSE when I pan around with the character in Death Stranding (while looking up towards the sky). I could be wrong but I am used to seeing DSE on most televisions. Honestly I might have had it on my 900F also but I didn't go looking for it.

I have only spent an hour or so tweaking the tv so I will be diving in a lot more today and going forward. Again hopefully someone gets a settings thread started soon when more people have the set. Maybe custom mode would be better? I am a big gamer but normally I just settled on one picture mode and used it for everything. The black levels are definitely better than my 900F. There is some blooming I noticed while watching a movie with all the lights off but it is less pronounced than the 900F. Overall the image is better than the 900F. None of the shortcomings that have been mentioned (ie less dimming zones, not all of the options of the 900F, the weaker X1 chip, etc) should distract anyone from purchasing this tv. This TV is clearly better than the 900F.

The DSE thing is tricky as is banding. I have never used GAME mode on any tv so am not used to the bright punchy picture it is giving off. Maybe this shows flaws more easily but I am not sure. I am very picky but I am not going down the rabbit hole with DSE. DSE was on all of my Pioneer Kuro's back in the day. Some where better than others. If you started swapping back then, you could get one that was worse or had other issues. That's kind of where I am right now at least on my quick first impressions. I could swap it for the perceived DSE (again I literally spent 5 minutes in the game and panned a little bit with the character) but also risk possible banding and other issues with another tv.

I will also say the banding comments are overblown. I don't doubt one bit that some of the people in this thread got a tv with banding. However, to suggest that it is on every set and this model is doomed is crazy. If I got one with pronounced banding, I would be swapping it immediately. Obviously they are not all like this. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Side note, the Sonos ARC arrived as did the Sub. The sub box was badly crushed even after being in another box. The UPS driver dropped it on one of it's corners and I could see other damage from shipping. Rather than risk it, I drove up to best buy and just did a swap. The new one box wise looked better so hoping for the best. Also my tv stand arrived and it has been a disaster. The wood arrived damaged, the holes for the wood were not drilled correctly so they are off a bit, the metal poles weren't the correct fit or length, and it wasn't the correct height that I ordered. They are being very cooperative but I am just trying to get my money back at this point. They offered to try and fix some stuff but my wife and I are pretty frustrated at this point so hopefully we get a quick resolution.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has there been any definitive reviews yet for the 65” XH90. Trying to rush read through this (long long!) thread.

Any links appreciated in reply to me. I’m reading a lot about banding etc. This has to (hopefully) be a perfect purchase for me. It’s our main TV, 1st 4K one and don’t buy big main TV’s often.

Also putting marketing waffle aside how is the sound on the TV? I won’t be using a soundbar, and with these extra tweeters/speakers anyone who has one and uses the TV sound are they decent enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts

I am not sure what his deal is. If he got a bad set with banding, then just swap it out. If it happens again, just move on. If you don't like some of the features (or lack of), then move on. No reason to trash the tv. I can say for me this was an upgrade over the 900F I had previously. The black levels and blooming are definitely better than my old set. It was very obvious when we watched Scary Stories (4k, Dolby Vision) on Saturday night. I didn't even have the local dimming set to high at that time and it still looked better than my old tv.

I see no banding on mine at all after being very thorough looking for it. Banding was probably the only thing I looked for critical on the tv so far. If it's there, it's super faint and I can't see it. DSE wise I think I see some while playing a game as I stated in a previous post. I'm not sure though honestly as GAME mode looks WAY different than what I am used to. I didn't play the game on GAME mode on my 900F so I am not sure if what I am seeing is more pronounced than normal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Has there been any definitive reviews yet for the 65” XH90. Trying to rush read through this (long long!) thread.

Any links appreciated in reply to me. I’m reading a lot about banding etc. This has to (hopefully) be a perfect purchase for me. It’s our main TV, 1st 4K one and don’t buy big main TV’s often.

Also putting marketing waffle aside how is the sound on the TV? I won’t be using a soundbar, and with these extra tweeters/speakers anyone who has one and uses the TV sound are they decent enough?

Thanks
I would personally buy it if it's what you are leaning towards. If it has issues (ie banding), just swap it out. The tv sound is pretty good in my opinion (I have the 85" version). That is what I am using right now on mine until I get the Sonos stuff setup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would personally buy it if it's what you are leaning towards. If it has issues (ie banding), just swap it out. The tv sound is pretty good in my opinion (I have the 85" version). That is what I am using right now on mine until I get the Sonos stuff setup.

Thanks, it’s a lot of money (to me), and before reading all about everything, I probably would have got a TV, even a Sony for half the price of this! I blame the research ha ha.

Looks good, just trying to justify to myself the cost really over other TV’s.

Seems to have good future proofing features, should be ok as it’s a Sony, haven’t had a Sony TV in years and years.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quantum TV's Amazon review

WOW at that review. What was the point of that exactly?
To remind us, for the umpteenth time, that he is the only honest Sony TV reviewer on the planet. :D

Reactions: dethpuck
2621 - 2640 of 5571 Posts