AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 5732 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is my 65" panel. Horizontal black bars across the whole screen.
(*Vertical)
That looks like a defect with the back lighting zones. I had an edge lit monitor a while back that did the same thing just on the edges; a s/w update fixed it though.
Take pictures too with 'real' content and contact the seller or service center. It's not normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry if I may have missed it but has anyone looked at sports content other than hockey? I watch a lot of football and soccer so I'm curious as to how this tv handles pictures for those. Any insight would be appreciated

·
Registered
76 Posts
If i'm watching crap quality content can I really blame the TV? If you're the one guy who watches low quality content, then save yourself some scrap and buy a westinghouse. Your eyes probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway. But for those of you who feed it good source material you'll be more than pleased with the picture.
The problem here is that the vast majority of all content is still SDR. It would be nice if every single platform and content producer recorded, mastered and distributed HDR, but it's still not that common.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm a Rtings insider. This set only gets a 7.0 in HDR Brightness vs. 8.4 for the now 2 year old 900f. 556 vs 894 cd/m2 in real scene peak brightness.

That a pretty horrific downgrade in what many of us feel is the most important spec besides screen size.

I wouldn't assume that until you see it in person. I had the 900F before the 900H (both 85" versions) and I have no issues at all with peak brightness especially with HDR. It's almost blinding at times. I have watched multiple 4K movies with HDR since I got it and played some game and the brightness has been amazing on this set. In fact for me, this set beats my old 900F in so many ways (black levels, way less blooming, etc). I think my only issue is I might have some DSE but that's about it (besides dark corners but that is normal with this model and the 900F).

·
Registered
186 Posts
so owners - do you think 900H lacks brightness or not ?
Not at all. I had a 900F before and the 900H is just as impressive to me with regards to HDR. My wife was even commenting on how great the picture looked. We have watched a ton of 4k HDR content since we set it up this past saturday and nothing is muted about the HDR picture. It is almost blinding at times with regards to brightness.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Will this be good a bright room for all content, AD, HD, 4K , HDR etc?

Heard a lot about dark room but what about it being in a bright room where mine would be?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Will this be good a bright room for all content, AD, HD, 4K , HDR etc?

Heard a lot about dark room but what about it being in a bright room where mine would be?

I have mine in a bright room. We have three huge windows on the left side of our living room that give in a ton of light during the day. Even if we shut the blinds, there is a good amount of light that still comes through. The 900H has been great in our living room. I don't feel like this tv is a downgrade in any way versus the 900F it replaced. I think I have some DSE but I am betting I had it on the 900F also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I mentioned a few pages ago that I feel that the 85" lacks brightness. I went to BB and they had the 950H and 900H next to each other and the 950H was much brighter and had a clearer PQ. The TV's were on the same settings and the same content. Another customer was there looking at both sets and we both agreed that the 950H had the better PQ. Watching SDR content on the 900H is not the greatest. My 5 year old Samsung does a better job with motion and clarity. But once you play anything on AppleTV or 4K discs, the 900H is really nice!! I'm not expert, so this is just my opinion. Still undecided if I will take it back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I mentioned a few pages ago that I feel that the 85" lacks brightness. I went to BB and they had the 950H and 900H next to each other and the 950H was much brighter and had a clearer PQ. The TV's were on the same settings and the same content. Another customer was there looking at both sets and we both agreed that the 950H had the better PQ. Watching SDR content on the 900H is not the greatest. My 5 year old Samsung does a better job with motion and clarity. But once you play anything on AppleTV or 4K discs, the 900H is really nice!! I'm not expert, so this is just my opinion. Still undecided if I will take it back.

A lot is still SDR on my viewing, so that’s disappointing to hear. I can’t stand judder either, so to heat you think a 5 year old TV is better is alarming, and making me think again!!

I have mine in a bright room. We have three huge windows on the left side of our living room that give in a ton of light during the day. Even if we shut the blinds, there is a good amount of light that still comes through. The 900H has been great in our living room. I don't feel any type of downgrade with this tv versus the 900F it replaced. I think I have some DSE but I am betting I had it on the 900F also.

That’s exactly how mine will be setup, windows on site shine all day, and even closing the same shine through so it’s important. Thanks.

Do you have an iPhone/iPad? If so do you have an iTunes purchased movie, or even try a trailer? Could you test AirPlay for me and see if it does 4K and Dolby vision.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have insider — they're listing 1440p 120hz as "No". For now, ResultZ is one of the only people I've seen who claim that 1440p 120hz HDR works, so it would be nice if he could provide instructions for others to reproduce it.

Other thoughts: their findings for HDR brightness is a major bummer for me. However, it does seem like Sony has done a good job creating a dimming algorithm which focuses on bloom suppression, seeing as it scores higher on "dimming algorithm" than older sets and dips to a peak of 307 nits on a 2% window (as opposed to 25% which sees the highest value at 739 nits), most likely to preserve surrounding black levels.

Older sets with worse blooming would often have 2% window peak brightness about equal to larger windows, if not brighter. Then again... they were also much, much brighter overall.

I was hoping to get this set as a larger replacement of my XE93 for PC gaming — but for me, going from 1442 nits real scene peak brightness to 556 is not going to work.

I wonder what settings Rtings had on. X-tended Dynamic Range states it will assign surplus power of darkened areas to bright areas using local dimming (I have it on high). Rtings typically has everything turned off. I think this tv is plenty bright. It seems brighter than my Lg b7 and Tcl 615. Watching Tron Legacy light cycle scene I was getting blinded by the headlights. The movie is only SDR.

Many people have stated motion smoothing keeps turning back on for them (I keep both settings at 1). If clearness is resetting to 1, I believe it is using BFI which will dim the picture slightly. I’m not sure though on what settings are reseting for people though.

Digital trends rated it at 750, but didn’t state what window size was used for their measurement. Also I wonder if the tv is dimming the windows they use in an effort to control blooming.

If this tv is really that dim, I can wait to see a brighter tv. Actually, maybe I don’t want to since I own the 900h already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
A lot is still SDR on my viewing, so that’s disappointing to hear. I can’t stand judder either, so to heat you think a 5 year old TV is better is alarming, and making me think again!!

That’s exactly how mine will be setup, windows on site shine all day, and even closing the same shine through so it’s important. Thanks.

Do you have an iPhone/iPad? If so do you have an iTunes purchased movie, or even try a trailer? Could you test AirPlay for me and see if it does 4K and Dolby vision.
I do and I just tried it. Worked great for me without any issues. Also I have watched a lot of SDR content also and I don't have any issues with it (no judder, etc.). I mean obviously SDR content isn't going to look as good compared to 4k but I don't have any issues with the image at all. To me, SDR content on the 900H is just as good as my old 900F.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do and I just tried it. Worked great for me without any issues. Also I have watched a lot of SDR content also and I don't have any issues with it (no judder, etc.). I mean obviously SDR content isn't going to look great on any of these tv's (compared to 4k, etc) especially if you get the largest model. However SDR is handled just as good as the 900F when I had it in my opinion.

Great to hear, so it was definitely in 4K with Dolby Vision, is there an info button or something that shows it all?

I expect as you say that SDR won’t be great, and worse on the biggest TV that I’ll ever have bought, but that’s to be expected.

As long as judder is ok, eg football and F1, as I definitely need this.

Thanks for testing that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wonder what settings Rtings had on. X-tended Dynamic Range states it will assign surplus power of darkened areas to bright areas using local dimming (I have it on high). Rtings typically has everything turned off. I think this tv is plenty bright. It seems brighter than my Lg b7 and Tcl 615. Watching Tron Legacy light cycle scene I was getting blinded by the headlights. The movie is only SDR.

Many people have stated motion smoothing keeps turning back on for them (I keep both settings at 1). If clearness is resetting to 1, I believe it is using BFI which will dim the picture slightly. I’m not sure though on what settings are reseting for people though.

If this tv is really that dim, I can wait to see a brighter tv. Actually, maybe I don’t want to since I own the 900h already.

Yeah I agree completely. I haven't changed a lot of settings from the default since I haven't had time to play with it (also hoping we get some users settings in this thread soon). To me the picture is plenty bright. It doesn't look dim at all. When we watched Scary Stories You Tell in the Dark the other night, it was blinding during the day scenes. Great picture though and the black levels were noticeably better than my old 900F. Blooming was also noticeably reduced from my old 900F.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Great to hear, so it was definitely in 4K with Dolby Vision, is there an info button or something that shows it all?

I expect as you say that SDR won’t be great, and worse on the biggest TV that I’ll ever have bought, but that’s to be expected.

As long as judder is ok, eg football and F1, as I definitely need this.

Thanks for testing that.

Yup I could go to settings on the tv and it showed the dolby vision option (day or night setting) being used just like if I was on the apple tv input instead (along with it showing it was 4k). I use the apple tv for all my streaming needs normally though.

Yeah SDR on a big tv is going to look good but not great. It is just the nature of it being SDR content. However I have no issues with it at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have it in an 85". I think it looks great. For the money I really can't do any better at the moment for something in an 85". Now if I was just getting a 55 or 65 maybe I would get the Q90T or an OLED but I knew I wanted an 85". For the money spent and what I got I am really happy. I think the screen is plenty bright and looks really good. It all depends on the content you are watching though. Very pleased so far though like I said.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brightness measurement

\
Digital trends rated it at 750, but didn’t state what window size was used for their measurement.
The YouTube review just notes a 750 nit peak brightness and it actually shows the Calman screen for this. Their is a webpage writeup that states, "Using Portrait Display’s Calman software and a SpectraCal C6 colorimeter, I measured the X900H’s peak brightness in a 10% window at 750 nits for a sustained period of time." So there seems to be a discrepancy between this and Rtings.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/sony-x900h-4k-hdr-tv-review/

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do and I just tried it. Worked great for me without any issues. Also I have watched a lot of SDR content also and I don't have any issues with it (no judder, etc.). I mean obviously SDR content isn't going to look as good compared to 4k but I don't have any issues with the image at all. To me, SDR content on the 900H is just as good as my old 900F.

I tried airplay also, 4K and Dolby Vision work but I’m only getting stereo sound. Does anyone know if there is an airplay setting to enable surround sound?

·
Registered
79 Posts

Digital trends rated it at 750, but didn’t state what window size was used for their measurement. Also I wonder if the tv is dimming the windows they use in an effort to control blooming.

I am one of those people that keeps having the motion settings turn back on. I have literally tried everycombination I can think of: Turning off MotionFlow and Cinemotion, setting MotionFlow to Auto and Cinemotion Off, both one, etc... Every time I turn on the TV, the picture is obvious that MotionFlow smoothness is on 3 and Cinemotion is on Auto.

2721 - 2740 of 5732 Posts