AVS Forum banner

2981 - 3000 of 4196 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm actually a little surprised (disappointed?) by the local dimming section, more than any other. Watching the video, it's easy to see the square as it moves showing the zones. Digital Trends review said that it was hard to see it do that and their video supports that too. Also, they state: "There's a bit of dimming, though, and some small details are crushed in darker areas." What? How small? How noticeable is it? How much shadow detail is lost due to this?
The local dimming is better on this set compared to my 900F (85"). I had very noticeable blooming at certain times with the 900F. The 900H blooming is way less pronounced and the black levels are considerably better. I have the 85" version so I know the zone count will be different. However I believe the 900F had considerably more dimming zones than the 900H so I wouldn't read much into that at all. I can't answer your question on dark areas being crushed. I have watched a lot of movies (4K Dolby Vision/HDR) and regular tv and haven't had any issues at all with the picture. It has been amazing and definitely a noticeable improvement over my 900F.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m have this issue now on my PS4 over ARC. Turning on AV SYNC fixed the audio lag in YouTube videos but added input lag on games. I think it has something to do with the audio output settings.

Interestingly enough I’ve had to turn it off at times to sync audio on YouTube. In fact I’ve mostly defaulted to keeping it off unless the source I’m using at the time has delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
So the Rtings review mentioned that the X900H supported 1440p at 60hz natively, which is a surprise to me. Can anyone confirm this? This would be huge for me, as it's one of the big cons I had for this TV (my PC gaming rig is optimized for 1440p).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Off topic but:

For you hockey fans, you can create an NHL.TV account and watch all the regular season games from 2019-2020 for free.

This will allow you to evaluate your TV using a picture unaffected by the compression your cable/satellite company applies.

Plus it's free hockey, you can't beat that. Go Blackhawks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So the Rtings review mentioned that the X900H supported 1440p at 60hz natively, which is a surprise to me. Can anyone confirm this? This would be huge for me, as it's one of the big cons I had for this TV (my PC gaming rig is optimized for 1440p).

Thanks!
1440p at 60 Hz works for me. No 1440p at 120 Hz though, until the HDMI 2.1 firmware update, I hope.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Honestly the 900H isn't any more reflective to me compared to my old 900F. If it's worse, I don't see it (nor do my wife and kids).

It’s more reflective than my 900e when the tv is off. However, I’m not having any issues with reflections impacting the viewing experience in my room. I wouldn’t tolerate that if it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Off topic but:

For you hockey fans, you can create an NHL.TV account and watch all the regular season games from 2019-2020 for free.

This will allow you to evaluate your TV using a picture unaffected by the compression your cable/satellite company applies.

Plus it's free hockey, you can't beat that. Go Blackhawks.
Nice, I'll check this out later. I only have access to MSG network and they have been showing like 99% classic games from like 1980-2003 which doesn't help when checking out content.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah I don't get it honestly. I had a 900F 85" for the past 2 years. This tv HDR wise is noticeably better than that tv. It's almost blinding at times when watching something with HDR.

I own the X950G from last year, and I know what you mean. Nothing would entice me to this model (900H). 4k 120hz will never be utilized in gaming consoles as their hardware isn't even close to capable, so what is the draw compared to better models?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think, hdr real scene +500 nits in hdr with good local dimming, good contrast will make perceived brightness good enough..
Yes, but according to the test XH90 has worse contrast than XF90 has (which has worse contrast than XE90). Yet there's people claiming XH90 is better in that regard compared to XF90. Is the black level that much better?

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you own a harmony remote, it seems that they now have SONY XBR-85X900H and XBR-65X900H as options for TV devices. They didn't have any 900H when I set mine up, so I used the 950G. I'll update mine later tonight.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow the blacks on the one with the Eagle seems to be deep an inky without noticeable bloom. Gradient control/banding seems to not be present also. Do you see a clean image with no banding and blooming as represented in the pictures? It looks as if it is pitch-black blacks.

I'm constantly blown away by the black levels and the lack of blooming on this set. It's nuts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm returning my PX75 for this TV, but the PX75 has a better review on Rtings. Does Rtings adjust reviews over time?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x900h-vs-vizio-p-series-quantum-x-2019/12284/848?usage=11114&threshold=0.1

Having both sets, the Vizio does Dolby Vision better then the Sony. The Vizio is also brighter if you have daytime viewing issues. Sony is far superior when it comes to the picture on Direct TV. The built in apps are much better on the Sony. I don't think you can go wrong with either set, leaning a little towards for Sony for long term reliability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own the X950G from last year, and I know what you mean. Nothing would entice me to this model (900H). 4k 120hz will never be utilized in gaming consoles as their hardware isn't even close to capable, so what is the draw compared to better models?
You're in for a nice surprise. Can't say much more than that, but you'll see what I mean in the next few months (probably before September with a bit of luck). No, don't expect full new titles in the vein of The Witcher 4 to be 4K 120fps, but you'll find more 4k (or dynamic res 4k) with 120hz/fps target than you think. Besides there's several other ways in which this'll be very useful to gamers. Input lag alone can make a huge difference on certain sets. You can play a game at 30fps, but the second you send that as a 120hz signal, your input lag number generally halves when compared to normal 60hz. That's more interesting to those of us very sensitive to this, of course, but it's useful none the less.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Actually, with software 4K upscaling improving significantly, the next gen hardware can easily manage 4K120 - but this is is on developers to implement, so we'll get 4K120 over the course of the next 24 months as AAA game titles continue working it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, but according to the test XH90 has worse contrast than XF90 has (which has worse contrast than XE90). Yet there's people claiming XH90 is better in that regard compared to XF90. Is the black level that much better?
Probably vincent video may answer that question. Anyway, I read many owner here says little to no bloom, but hdtvtest show worse HDR bloom especially on blackbar compared to x950H.. as he said 32 dimming zone is 32. :p

2981 - 3000 of 4196 Posts