AVS Forum banner

3401 - 3420 of 4408 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys! Been looking at this thread for WEEKS and finally pulled the trigger on the 85" 900H. Will be receiving it thursday and will be playing with it all weekend long. I'll share my experience to you roughly next week. CAN'T WAIT :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
It’s obvious enough with any light screens, blue sky etc.. I had three 85” tvs from Costco that all had it. It’s not horrible, but for the money, it shouldn’t be there. Someone claimed they didn’t have it on their 85”, so I’m trying the exchange through Sony this time. Hopefully it’s not part of the design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let us know how it goes. I might go that route as well

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Cracked my 65' open today and it looks great but I can't get the ARC function to work with my Sony 1080strdn as I hoped...I've had to hook up an optical cable which works fine for what I need it do, but I was hoping to get the ARC function to happen.

Anyone with this receiver, let me know how it works for you! Otherwise I'll just stick with optical for the internal apps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Got the x900h 65inch a few days ago for 1265. Panel looks good no dse or pillars except for a slight vinaigrette in the corners. I do like it I don't have much to compare it too. it's really my first 4K TV coming from an older 2007 plasma. I do have a lot of reflection issues and the screen not getting bright enough to get past the reflections. At night watching movies its great. Just during the day certain movies are tough to watch. I have a chance to get a samsung 65 q80r for 1499 and I'm wondering if that would be a better choice its 230 more and it doesn't have Dolby vision and im worried about it crushing blacks. Seeing which set I should stick with.
The vagaries of selecting TVs there is always just one thing that messes with the logic. The SamsungQ80R will have better reflection handling but as you pointed out you will lose the other nice features. You could get it calibrated so as to not crush the blacks but obviously that is an additional cost.

Couple things may want to post it in the Q80R forum and have you tried to adjust the brightness to compensate during the day. Maybe someone can offer an automated way to do it through the menu so it isnt a chore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is your feedback around that soundbar? Looking to perhaps add one of them or something similar...
Sound bar sounds good but not perfect. Bass is lacking and as far as virtual atmos, it lacks there too. Don't really get the sense of overhead sounds. Other than that it makes a really good 3.1 bar with good sounf

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just re-looked at Rtings and Vincent’s reviews, and the differences in their local dimming demo videos is staggering, with Vincent’s video looking MUCH worse in terms of blooming.

Would any owners mind chiming in regarding which video most closely represents your set? Particularly interested in 75” and 85”, as I wonder if size plays a role in the difference.

Here is a link to each video:

Vincent:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just re-looked at Rtings and Vincent’s reviews, and the differences in their local dimming demo videos is staggering, with Vincent’s video looking MUCH worse in terms of blooming.

Would any owners mind chiming in regarding which video most closely represents your set? Particularly interested in 75” and 85”, as I wonder if size plays a role in the difference.

Here is a link to each video:

Vincent: https://youtu.be/GZWZ7kfWe1g?t=341 (local dimming test starts at 5:41 if link doesn’t take you directly there)

Rtings: https://youtu.be/UURCeiHkZus
I have the 55 900h and I can confirm the local dimming on rtings test are more like my tv. Vincent's test results almost made me cancel my order. I am very happy I didn't.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Just re-looked at Rtings and Vincent’s reviews, and the differences in their local dimming demo videos is staggering, with Vincent’s video looking MUCH worse in terms of blooming. ...snip
Please read the disclaimer in Vincent's video : "*Camera overexposed for zone count. Blooming less obvious in real world view."

·
Registered
660 Posts
Great review here. I love it because he brings attention to this Motionflow bug that many of us are suffering! Starts at around 16:19.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaPI9pYKsI&lc=z225glsgtwnrtxrik04t1aokgxta3asyzx4hyneupusark0h00410
absolutely great video !

my ONLY concern is when he talks about Reality Creation - and says the upscaling (?) isnt anywhere near as good as his old TV and that it barely does anything ...

is he referring specifically to that one RC setting ? Or to the whole TV upscaling in general ? Because rtings rated the 900H upscaling the same as any other good modern TV (good), and in general I expected the upscaling here to be at least as good as ~900F or even 950G

So how is the upscaling ? For 1080p / 720p / SD ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
absolutely great video !

my ONLY concern is when he talks about Reality Creation - and says the upscaling (?) isnt anywhere near as good as his old TV and that it barely does anything ...

is he referring specifically to that one RC setting ? Or to the whole TV upscaling in general ? Because rtings rated the 900H upscaling the same as any other good modern TV (good), and in general I expected the upscaling here to be at least as good as ~900F or even 950G

So how is the upscaling ? For 1080p / 720p / SD ?
I always leave Reality Creation off, so I can't speak to that feature. The upscaling isn't any different than any other Sony TV, I've had which in my opinion is excellent. I had the Amazon Fire TV Cube hooked up to my old X800D since January, and buying the X900H made me realize how truly awful the upscaling on the Fire TV is! I used it because of how slow the apps on the X800D were, but the X900H is even faster than the Fire TV Cube, so I use the built in apps now. My only real complaint with this TV is the darn Motionflow bug which I've whined enough about already LOL.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I always leave Reality Creation off, so I can't speak to that feature. The upscaling isn't any different than any other Sony TV, I've had which in my opinion is excellent. I had the Amazon Fire TV Cube hooked up to my old X800D since January, and buying the X900H made me realize how truly awful the upscaling on the Fire TV is! I used it because of how slow the apps on the X800D were, but the X900H is even faster than the Fire TV Cube, so I use the built in apps now. My only real complaint with this TV is the darn Motionflow bug which I've whined enough about already LOL.
alright
by any chance have you experienced the Nvidia Shield Pro "AI" upscaling ? is it really better than any TVs ?

as for the motion bug - I have a EU XH9096 model and have never had it happen, Im convinced there are small differences between US/EU models/software and maybe even the panels ..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I contacted Sony via text chat support in reference to the vertical line on the 85” tv’s. They are setting up an “advanced exchange” through Sony. Hopefully I can get one without the problem. I know their was one person on here with an 85” that said they did not have the problem.

It was quick and painless contacting them. They will want you to reset the tv though, which of course doesn’t fix the problem.

Are they sending you a costco model? ETA?

We are all waiting in anticipation for you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are they sending you a costco model? ETA?

We are all waiting in anticipation for you.

Don’t know yet. I would hope it’s from Sony since I contacted them directly. They gave me the usual reference number and stated someone would contact me. They sent emails asking for photos. This was hard to photograph by the way. Just waiting on their next email.

The chat support said “approved for advanced replacement”. Though I wonder if they will look at the photos and change their mind. It looks worse in motion than on still photos.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don’t know yet. I would hope it’s from Sony since I contacted them directly. They gave me the usual reference number and stated someone would contact me. They sent emails asking for photos. This was hard to photograph by the way. Just waiting on their next email.

The chat support said “approved for advanced replacement”. Though I wonder if they will look at the photos and change their mind. It looks worse in motion than on still photos.
It's probably a good thing that you contacted Sony for the issue and not the retailer. Sony will probably send an authorized service provider to handle the replacement. What that eventually means is that Sony will get the TV back for analysis to see what the issue is. Could be bad panel from their supplier or it could have been caused by the way the TV was shipped.

Way upthread when people were discussing CostCo availability, someone posted a pic of the sets at CostCo. One pallet was shipped with four or five in the vertical position with two laying flat on top of them. They're not supposed to ship them flat.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's probably a good thing that you contacted Sony for the issue and not the retailer. Sony will probably send an authorized service provider to handle the replacement. What that eventually means is that Sony will get the TV back for analysis to see what the issue is. Could be bad panel from their supplier or it could have been caused by the way the TV was shipped.

Way upthread when people were discussing CostCo availability, someone posted a pic of the sets at CostCo. One pallet was shipped with four or five in the vertical position with two laying flat on top of them. They're not supposed to ship them flat.
I have been pointing out that shipping and handling has been the major issue with this TV. They're literally being shoved around like furniture in many cases. Lucky if you get good warehouse to home handling (which I did :)).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering the 65 inch model of this TV as our bedroom Television. I was hoping for a couple of pieces of info if anyone feels like jumping in -

Firstly,
has anyone bought this off Greentoe, if so may I ask what you paid for it?

Secondly, Costco had a decent deal for this TV that very recently expired (just my luck), I believe it was approx $1269 or something? Any one hazard a guess if/when Costco might go down to this price again? Costco appeals for the extended warranty.

Thirdly, this is probably hard to answer. But I'd appreciate if people could be as diplomatic as possible. If it was the exact same price, would you either get the 900h or the Samsung 80t? I'm kinda torn at this point. Both in 65, and my primary use would be streaming movies, a little bit of gaming. I have a C9 in the living room which would still be my primary TV for movies and a higher ratio of gaming.

Thanks in advance! I wish you all good health in this crazy time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering the 65 inch model of this TV as our bedroom Television. I was hoping for a couple of pieces of info if anyone feels like jumping in -

Firstly,
has anyone bought this off Greentoe, if so may I ask what you paid for it?

Secondly, Costco had a decent deal for this TV that very recently expired (just my luck), I believe it was approx $1269 or something? Any one hazard a guess if/when Costco might go down to this price again? Costco appeals for the extended warranty.

Thirdly, this is probably hard to answer. But I'd appreciate if people could be as diplomatic as possible. If it was the exact same price, would you either get the 900h or the Samsung 80t? I'm kinda torn at this point. Both in 65, and my primary use would be streaming movies, a little bit of gaming. I have a C9 in the living room which would still be my primary TV for movies and a higher ratio of gaming.

Thanks in advance! I wish you all good health in this crazy time.
Costco will drop in price again probably in a month or so? The price drop seemed to be authorized by Sony, since all retailers had $100 off the 65". If you can hold out until Black Friday, you'll get an even better price. I agree about buying TV's at Costco, makes things a lot easier (better return policy and warranty).

As for the Q80T, it's a little better than this Sony. The Samsung is brighter in HDR, has better reflection handling, and has a better viewing angle. The Sony has better contrast, and better black and gray uniformity. I guess it all depends on what you value most. This tool from Rtings should help you.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x900h-vs-samsung-q80t/12284/1819?usage=11114&threshold=0.1

3401 - 3420 of 4408 Posts