AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 4446 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
^If it’s truly an IPS panel, that’s a big oof. Might as well buy the Nano 90 in that case.

From the Chinese review posted a few weeks ago. indicates to me that the screen is different then LG's IPS screens. We don't know until someone looks at the pixels though.

To add: 9000H uses a soft screen, PWM dimming. The advantage of the soft screen is that it has high light transmittance / not easy to leak light / high contrast, so Sony Samsung ’s high-end machines use soft screens. Only LG insists on being its own and has always used hard screens, and finally killed its LCD TV . The PWM dimming is mainly for the smoothness of the motion picture, Sony is generally 960HZ PWM.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I read in an article today on Australian site GadgetGuy that said the X900H would be a FALD IPS display which lead me to ask myself, have I seen it confirmed anywhere that the X900H would in fact be a VA-type LCD panel? The answer is that I haven't, only people assuming that it will be.

https://www.gadgetguy.com.au/sony-2020-tv-range-preview/

Wait: It's called the X900H in Australia? I thought it's called:

X90H in Australasia
XH90 in Europe and the UK
X900H in the Americas

·
Registered
660 Posts
I guess if they position X900H as the successor to the 850G then it could have IPS, as 850G had IPS too

but one is 800 series, this is 900 series, which should be more like ~900F (that was VA)
also 850G was edge-lit, but this is FALD

·
Registered
174 Posts
wait, that link is from March .. no way he could know nearly 2 months ago

I assume its not true
I don't know its from a chinese page, in this very thread with a ton a pictures and measurements. They are made in china, and everything on the page looked legit to me. just scroll back its on page 9 of this thread I believe

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not sure anyone has seen it, but here is a brief review of 65" X9000H in Chinese (X900H in NA, XH90 in Europe)

https://post.smzdm.com/p/awx0r4mm/

1) Confirmed the first Sony TV equipped with the brand new MT5895, first HDMI 2.1 SoC from Sony

2) Peak Brightness only ~850 nits, X9500H/X9500G 1,200-1,300 nits, Z9F > 2x this number

3) FALD Local Dimming Zone only 4*8=32, 65" X9500H/X9500G have 6x10=60, 65" Z9F has 13*8=104

4) Picture Processor is the lowest tier X1 rather then mid-tier X1 Extreme, Z9F/X9500H/X9500G all use X1 Ultimate

Sony probably had some issue implementing MT65895 in higher-end Extreme/Ultimate chips, which leads to the inexplicable decision that only X9000H will get HDMI 2.1

Meanwhile, 2.1related software development is way behind the hardware, the reason being why a later firmware update is needed.

In the end, this is certainly a weird combination, probably gonna wait until A9H comes out later this year to see how MT5895 really performs.
this was the post.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I guess if they position X900H as the successor to the 850G then it could have IPS, as 850G had IPS too

but one is 800 series, this is 900 series, which should be more like ~900F (that was VA)
also 850G was edge-lit, but this is FALD
Cleaning their lineup? 750 and 850 gone or specific retail versions (used to be 730/830?). We'll see.

Doesn't the X800H use PLS instead of IPS?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Guys just a little OT: do you think upcoming Ampere graphics cards will support HDMI-Forum VRR? I mean, nvidia will support both gsync and HDMI-Forum VRR (over HDMI) or do you think will block HDMI-Forum VRR via driver?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Guys just a little OT: do you think upcoming Ampere graphics cards will support HDMI-Forum VRR? I mean, nvidia will support both gsync and HDMI-Forum VRR (over HDMI) or do you think will block HDMI-Forum VRR via driver?
-yes it will
-RTX 2000 series already support HDMI-VRR, Ampere will continue that but with 48 gbps ports (at least it should)
-there is no such thing whatsoever as "Gsync via HDMI" .. there is only HDMI-VRR (which RTX 2000 already does) and Nvidia simply tests some models (like the LG OLEDs) and slaps a 'Gsync Compatible' sticker .. but its still just HDMI-VRR

·
Registered
190 Posts
Releasing at the end of may from Techradar-->techradar.com/news/sonys-new-4k-tvs-have-some-premium-features-but-why-do-certain-sizes-miss-out

Not sure what's the point of that story - personally I don't care what speakers the TV has, if I could save money by buying a TV without speakers at all I would be all for it. Personally, I always connect the TV to the AVR and listen to my sound system. I don't believe that anything anyone includes inside a TV set can sound better that the 7 speakers + subwoofer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,

I just registered here as I am looking for a new TV and the Sony XH90 (X900h) is one of my favorites so far. Just found this message from today on another website, it was in German, so I and Google translated it for you:

"Update (May 20, 2020, 2:11 pm): Sony informed us on request that all four HDMI ports of the XH90 series will initially be limited to 18 Gbit/s. Only the mentioned firmware update will unlock the so-called fixed rate link feature for ports 3 and 4, which should ensure the HDMI 2.1 maximum bandwidth of 48 Gbit/s and, among other things, enable 4K at 120 fps. So it seems to be two native HDMI 2.1 interfaces, which are artificially limited to version 2.0b specifications until the software update."

Source: >prad.de/sony-xh90-preise-und-termine-zur-neuen-4k-tv-reihe/<

I don't understand the point why you limit your own hardware, even if HDMI 2.1 is not supported at the moment.

I think I will wait for the first reviews and then decide, if I go for the Sony or for an alternative like the Samsung Q70r/t Q80r/t.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi guys,

I just registered here as I am looking for a new TV and the Sony XH90 (X900h) is one of my favorites so far. Just found this message from today on another website, it was in German, so I and Google translated it for you:

"Update (May 20, 2020, 2:11 pm): Sony informed us on request that all four HDMI ports of the XH90 series will initially be limited to 18 Gbit/s. Only the mentioned firmware update will unlock the so-called fixed rate link feature for ports 3 and 4, which should ensure the HDMI 2.1 maximum bandwidth of 48 Gbit/s and, among other things, enable 4K at 120 fps. So it seems to be two native HDMI 2.1 interfaces, which are artificially limited to version 2.0b specifications until the software update."

Source: >prad.de/sony-xh90-preise-und-termine-zur-neuen-4k-tv-reihe/<

I don't understand the point why you limit your own hardware, even if HDMI 2.1 is not supported at the moment.

I think I will wait for the first reviews and then decide, if I go for the Sony or for an alternative like the Samsung Q70r/t Q80r/t.
To work out bugs. I can't imagine that they would not have the full firmware in place at launch if they could do so. And since, as far as I'm aware, there aren't any devices out there outside of PCs that utilize HDMI 2.1 at the moment, it would be a pretty easy decision to release the hardware before the software that enables those features is ready for public consumption.

361 - 380 of 4446 Posts