AVS Forum banner

4201 - 4220 of 5732 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
The biggest thing that

I have the 85" with a May build date. I have the same slight DSE and corners, but they don't bother me. I do see the line when watching hockey, but only if I look for it. It's not so prominent to where it's distracting. If I don't think about it or look for it, I don't see it. The test vids are one of those "damned if you do" situations. I wanted to make sure I had a good set, but if I see something I can't unsee it.
Same with hockey, add soccer and light blue sky’s. When I put up a solid color test pattern for finding dead pixels I don’t see the line with red or green. I think I can see it very faintly with blue. If I get really close on those solid colors and look at the pixels I don’t see any problem.

Yet on a panning scene, similar to when I see very minor DSE, I can see it. Part of the problem is that it doesn’t make sense. It’s one perfectly vertical thin line in the same exact spot on multiple sets, unlike any DSE. After watching numerous lcd tv tear down videos on YouTube I can’t figure out the cause. There is nothing that makes sense for a cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I initiated return with Sony as I obviously have a defect set. I'm supposed to wait 3 business days now for them to look at the pictures, then they will call me to "determine" if it should be replaced. This is not very good CS in my opinion. It seems obvious there are issues with this set.
Dude you're going through the manufacturer's warranty that isn't that bad. They have to look to see if you're telling the truth and we're in the middle of a pandemic. Luckily mine was so obvious it got approved same day and I got my phone call the day after. Sending them a video (unless it's dead pixels or something) might help speed the process a little. Sometimes pictures are hard to see the issue on

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I'm having a hard time deciding between the 75" 900h or the 950h.
My life is hockey and I'm gearing towards the 950h only because of Rtings sports score being much higher but it looks like it's mostly based due to the wider viewing angle which I don't care about as it's just me sitting in front of the tv.
I don't care much about gaming so 2.1 VRR and all the rest don't mean much to me.
PQ and motion is most important and it's going in a light controlled room.

The 950 is $1000 more up here and I'm not sure it's worth it.
FWIW Visions has a final clearance for Sony X900F 75".

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same with hockey, add soccer and light blue sky’s. When I put up a solid color test pattern for finding dead pixels I don’t see the line with red or green. I think I can see it very faintly with blue. If I get really close on those solid colors and look at the pixels I don’t see any problem.

Yet on a panning scene, similar to when I see very minor DSE, I can see it. Part of the problem is that it doesn’t make sense. It’s one perfectly vertical thin line in the same exact spot on multiple sets, unlike any DSE. After watching numerous lcd tv tear down videos on YouTube I can’t figure out the cause. There is nothing that makes sense for a cause.

I have an 85" but don't see this vertical line. How many inches from the left is this line. I'm curious to see if it is on my set.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have an 85" but don't see this vertical line. How many inches from the left is this line. I'm curious to see if it is on my set.
Just slightly left of dead center. It’s visible with fast panning and a solid color. Grass, white hockey ice, or a blue sky should do the trick with the fast panning. Watching any of those with slow panning I don’t see it. Once it moves quickly, there it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Completely agree, it's a little baffling. I watch a lot of EPL soccer and don't see it on greens. I've caught it on very light blues and whites. It does show more on a panning shot, but I don't remember even seeing it on panning sky shots.

Mine is just to the left of the 'S' in Sony

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don’t think Costco sells open box items. Actually, I’m pretty sure the manufacturer is required to accept all Costco returns.
They don’t accept returns. They send them back to the manufacturer. Not sure where they end up after that but not back at Costco.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Now on to things other than a vertical line. Someone mentioned setting local dimming to medium makes the smaller window sizes brighter than what rtings measured. Watching the below YouTube video seems to confirm this (it’s hdr). Does anyone have a way to test the actual brightness? I watched the end fight scene on the latest Godzilla movie and it was pretty bright.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm a little out of the loop on todays TV connections.
Can I get suggestions for best hookup procedure?
Wont be using TV speakers.
Normally I run everything with Hdmi to my receiver and use it as a switch.
I connect receiver to TV's ARC?

Equipment:
900h
Denon AVRX4500H
Nvidia Shield runs Emby
Satellite receiver
Oppo UDP-203

·
Registered
167 Posts
People gotta realize coming here you are getting the most nitpicky nitpicks from the most experienced nitpickers....if that's what you're looking for (like myself), it's a great resource, but you have to compare what you see here to the larger consensus on a TV model too

So many people get scared away reading these forums, I used to get scared away from every TV model I was researching on this site until I realized all this too 😂
I agree. If these defects are inherently bothersome, we should expect to see men and women seeking bothered at comparable rates. I ask the male complainers: Are your wives or girlfriends as bothered by the "defect" as you are?
New members who have joined the forum to complain. Why are all they all men?
See a pattern?
For women, a TV that's "good enough" is good enough. Yes, even at the X900H's price point.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I initiated return with Sony as I obviously have a defect set. I'm supposed to wait 3 business days now for them to look at the pictures, then they will call me to "determine" if it should be replaced. This is not very good CS in my opinion. It seems obvious there are issues with this set.
Sounds like a piece of cake in comparison to the hell I endured with Samsung.

The KS8000 I bought went bad and required three in-person visits from techs. The first one didn't see it, the 2nd one did, took photos and put through the warranty claim. But that wasn't the end -- the 3rd tech had the replacement panel on his truck, but then had to talk with Samsung live and confirm the problem while streaming from his phone before they would agree to it. They couldn't see it, and were going to refuse the panel replacement until the tech decided to pretend his connection was bad and hung up on them. He had someone in their office call them and re-send the still photos from the prior visit, and only then did they agree to it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I'm a little out of the loop on todays TV connections.
Can I get suggestions for best hookup procedure?
Wont be using TV speakers.
Normally I run everything with Hdmi to my receiver and use it as a switch.
I connect receiver to TV's ARC?

Equipment:
900h
Denon AVRX4500H
Nvidia Shield runs Emby
Satellite receiver
Oppo UDP-203
From my experience, the ARC connection over HDMI on this set is extremely flaky. It works for a while then drops out, requiring the use of the optical out connection (which works fine) instead. It can be corrected by unplugging them for a time then resetting, but it's a time consuming, frustrating process. Maybe when eARC is available on the set it'll be more consistent but it seems like something that needs addressing.

If you have an AVR I'd still lean more heavily on that as it's going to be far more reliable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ordered a 75" from Costco this morning! Upgrading from a 10+ year old Sony KDL-46V5100. Am excited to get next week and see how I do in the panel lottery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From my experience, the ARC connection over HDMI on this set is extremely flaky. It works for a while then drops out, requiring the use of the optical out connection (which works fine) instead. It can be corrected by unplugging them for a time then resetting, but it's a time consuming, frustrating process. Maybe when eARC is available on the set it'll be more consistent but it seems like something that needs addressing.

If you have an AVR I'd still lean more heavily on that as it's going to be far more reliable.
Weird, I have had no problems with arc so far it even properly detects if I turn the avr off and switches to internal speaker and back when I turn it on.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Weird, I have had no problems with arc so far it even properly detects if I turn the avr off and switches to internal speaker and back when I turn it on.
It's the same phenomenon as with PQ complaints, people with problems are more likely to complain plus a much higher percentage of AVS users are using ARC than the general population.

The ARC complaints go back to the earliest implementations. For the Record I have very few issues with ARC on my 900e/STR-DN1080 and the HT-NT5 I had before.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My Sanus Advanced Tilt arrived today and getting ready to wall mount the 85 inch. Should I use the Sony supplied wall mount attachment screws (VS) for the back of the TV or the Sanus.?

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
My Sanus Advanced Tilt arrived today and getting ready to wall mount the 85 inch. Should I use the Sony supplied wall mount attachment screws (VS) for the back of the TV or the Sanus.?
I used the same mount for my 85 and I used the stand-offs that came with the TV and the screws that came out of the Vesa holes on the TV. Works great!

Reactions: Youhall

·
Registered
239 Posts
I used the same mount for my 85 and I used the stand-offs that came with the TV and the screws that came out of the Vesa holes on the TV. Works great!
[/QUOTE
Sounds good! I was going to follow up and ask about the existing M6 screws that came with the TV and noticed they were a hair longer than the Sanus M6.

4201 - 4220 of 5732 Posts