AVS Forum banner

5481 - 5500 of 7748 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,481
I don’t think so. HDMI 2.1 is perhaps the single biggest selling point of this TV - how it interacts with upcoming HDMI 2.1 sources is a reasonable topic for the thread.
Yeah but we can slow it down but here's this that recently Sony did...

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
The big screw is what I used with my Panasonic. I think it came with my mono price mount 10 years ago.

The spacer came with the Sony and the black screw was screwed into the hole in the back of the tv. Looks like we are supposed to unscrew that black screw and screw in the spacer. And then screw in the mount using another screw. Obviously the big one from Panasonic is too big to screw into the spacer’s hole. The Sony provided screw fits but not sure it if is engineered to hold the weight of the tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The 'spacer' screws need to go in the holes unless you have a special Sony mount that goes in the recessed holes. Then your mount attaches to them, they may not be the same size as your old set though...may have to buy new if don't have correct size. I would want a screw that seats as far in to the mounting hole as possible while being able tighten snugly. How much space is left with the Sony screw ? I'll be using the screws that came with my mount.

EDIT : My set just arrived !! The M6 X 20 screws seem to be the best fit for the 'spacers' . They are about 2X as long as the Sony screws .

·
Registered
18 Posts
PS5 is not going to use a non-native resolution like 1440p. All games are planned to run at 4k. If they cant run at native 4k, they will run at a slightly lower resolution and then use a scaling technique to run at 4k. Just like previous consoles did with 1080p. I'm not sure why PC gamers are stuck with this 1440p concept. If I had a native 4k PC monitor, I'd run all my games at that native resolution. I've always ran games at native resolution to prevent any type of bad scaling effects. If your video card can't run at that resolution, then buy one that can.
I think you may be right that the PS5 probably won't ever output at 1440p120. Some games might render at that but it'll be upscaled to 4K before it gets to the TV. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Got my 85" 900H in and set up yesterday. Coming from a LG Oled, and I am still very impressed!

Most of that is due to the upgrade in size from my 65" Oled to 85" 900H. The immersion factor really does make the decision to go back to LED feel justified. Maybe when you can get a 77" OLED (new) for around the same price I will be compelled to go that route, but I'm not sure. I'm loving being able to leave my computer desktop up, or the homescreen and not worry about burn in at all.

Also a couple quick thoughts:

PROS:
The tv is PLENTY bright enough, that's not really a problem despite what anyone says. And I'm the type that wants my eye balls to bleed in HDR. Give me all the nits! My in-home demo has proven this is a non-factor. Tonight I'm going to run my HDR torture test and from what I've already seen it's not even necessary.

So once again, HDR has PLENTY of nits. It's just as bright or brighter than my C9 except for smaller window objects, possibly. Full window HDR is brighter than my C9 was for sure.

Motion is incredible. This is my first Sony and now I see why people have a hard time going from Sony to anything else.

I've got almost zero banding. 5% grey test with brightness turned down shows no visible bands. Never got that with an OLED. Better near-black performance than OLED due to this and the fact that most exhibit vertical banding/vignetting in near black scenes and 5% grey tests.

I'm loving Android TV and also Xumo integrating free internet/streaming channels and my OTA channels.

CONS:
Letterboxes show some edge/corner bleed. Local dimming options help but don't completely mitigate. I can live with the amount my panel has.

Subtitle blooming. Again, not really a deal breaker for me. All of this is worth the trade off of not having to baby the panel or worry my $2000+ investment will be ruined by burn-in.

Contrast. It's probably close to or better than my first 4K/HDR tv the Samsung KS8000 which was great in its own right. But no, it's not Oled so no infinite contrast here, and yes the picture will appear slightly softer/less crisp overall because of this.

---------------------------------------------------

So those are my thoughts so far. This tv is worth every penny, and the higher you go in size, the better. Once the HDMI 2.1 update is released these things will fly off the shelves even more than they already are I'm sure. I love all the features this tv has and I'm currently experimenting and seeing which settings I like best

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
The 'spacer' screws need to go in the holes unless you have a special Sony mount that goes in the recessed holes. Then your mount attaches to them, they may not be the same size as your old set though...may have to buy new if don't have correct size. I would want a screw that seats as far in to the mounting hole as possible while being able tighten snugly. How much space is left with the Sony screw ? I'll be using the screws that came with my mount.

EDIT : My set just arrived !! The M6 X 20 screws seem to be the best fit for the 'spacers' . They are about 2X as long as the Sony screws .
Hmm. Doesn’t 20 stand for 20mm. My Sony screws are 20mm long. After the mount’s thickness and the washers I have 12mm left which is what the instruction manual says I should have. I am going to try mounting it with those screws. My original mounts are totally adjustable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just hung up my 85” and on the DSE test screens I have a very faint line going down the very middle of the screen. As if their are two screens and one is just lightly off from the other in the middle. Even my wife could see it. Headed to Costco for a replacement.

anyone else have this?

·
Vendor
27,457 Posts
I don’t think so. HDMI 2.1 is perhaps the single biggest selling point of this TV - how it interacts with upcoming HDMI 2.1 sources is a reasonable topic for the thread.
Or any other TV out there that does HDMI 2.1.......lol. Lots of variables, hopefully every thing works perfectly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmm. Doesn’t 20 stand for 20mm. My Sony screws are 20mm long. After the mount’s thickness and the washers I have 12mm left which is what the instruction manual says I should have. I am going to try mounting it with those screws. My original mounts are totally adjustable.

Yes, about 20mm... maybe I was a bit off saying 2x size (was comparing with the washers still on the Sony bolt)... seems the screws that came out of my set are 15 mm (just measuring thread portion) but they were defiantly shorter than ones came with mount. They are marked M6 X 20, and bottomed out in the 'spacer' with about 1/8th of an inch still out, so with bracket and washer it was just right.

Edit: According to manual there should be 10-12mm of thread in to the spacer (on the TV side of the bracket/washer).

Edit Edit: See you already mentioned that. :whistle:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just hung up my 85” and on the DSE test screens I have a very faint line going down the very middle of the screen. As if their are two screens and one is just lightly off from the other in the middle. Even my wife could see it. Headed to Costco for a replacement.

anyone else have this?
Several of us had it with the 85”. I had 4 sets in a row. I returned the last 900h and bought a 950h that doesn’t have it. A few people had the 85” 900h and didn’t have it. Part of the panel lottery.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Several of us had it with the 85”. I had 4 sets in a row. I returned the last 900h and bought a 950h that doesn’t have it. A few people had the 85” 900h and didn’t have it. Part of the panel lottery.
I didn’t have it. Have had my 85” since June. Really think this isn’t just panel lottery and is more how it was shipped and stored. Laying flat face-down really doesn’t seem like it would have taken much to compress the front screen into the internal components. Seems like that line is a line of LEDs too close the the front panel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I recently purchased a 65X900h and am a bit disappointed with the color compared to my 85X900F. I used the same picture settings for both but the 900h just looks washed out. Has anyone compared the 900F and the 900H? I am wondering if I have a bad panel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I notice my screen occasionally has this dimming issue (blacklight flickering?), only happen in cable channels where I have motionflow on auto.
It's the kind of flickering when you adjusting Clearness, screen get dimmer for split second. Probably it has something to do with black frame insertion.

Is it something to worry about? I don't notice it on custom mode where Motionflow is off by default.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got my 85" 900h. TV is great. Just one question: I thought the internal storage space on the TV for apps and such was 16GB. However, in checking the storage in Settings, it says there's storage of 4.4 GB (about 2GB of which is used, so about 2GB remaining). That seems awfully low if true. Can anyone confirm their storage on their 900h?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got my 85" 900h. TV is great. Just one question: I thought the internal storage space on the TV for apps and such was 16GB. However, in checking the storage in Settings, it says there's storage of 4.4 GB (about 2GB of which is used, so about 2GB remaining). That seems awfully low if true. Can anyone confirm their storage on their 900h?
I’m curious about this as well. I very quickly filled up my storage.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I tried wall mounting my 85” last night using the old mount I had. The mount itself holds but since it can tilt up and down, my mount was automatically tilting up. Looks like it is a little loose. Yikes. So we put it back on the tv stand. My wife likes it on the stand and I agree too. Now I have to figure out whether to install the center channel above the tv or raise the tv using a riser and put the center channel in the middle. My tv stand is 14.5” tall. My wife likes this height for the tv so we don’t have to look up at the tv and it is more at a horizontal level. If I were to install the tv on the tv stand I will have to put a riser for the tv feet to raise it up by 8”. Anyone see a problem with this riser. I need to research what the best way to build a riser is. Other choice is to install the speaker on a shelf above the TV.

Regarding the TV, so far no problems. It looks great on UHD content. Lower resolution not so good. I don’t seem to have any dead pixels. I have not done much in calibration except I turned on calibrated mode for Netflix. Is anyone using this for Netflix? Does it work?

Finally, does the remote control control any other component? I have a Sony x800 UHD player and I also have an Apple TV and an older NAD receiver connected via optical. I would have liked to control everything using the Sony remote since the Sony remote also has a microphone. Otherwise I have to my harmony universal remote.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Also is there a plan to bring Apple TV+ to the Dony TV? My Apple TV is not 4K capable. I would hate to spend money on Apple TV+ if the Sony is going to have it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve been playing around with the various black level settings. I originally set mine to the ones shown in the popular CO Guy Stuff video on X900H picture settings. However, I compared his settings to the ones on rtings.com for the X900F and saw one major difference between the way these two set their defaults.

Both CO Guy Stuff and rtings.com leave Black Adjust and Adv. Contrast Enhancer to ‘Off,’ while leaving Auto Local Dimming to ‘High’ (or to taste). However, they differ on X-tended Dynamic Range. CO Guy Stuff leaves it off, while rtings.com leaves it to ‘High‘ or ‘Medium‘ (assuming that you have Auto Local Dimming on).

Rtings makes the argument that X-tended Dynamic Range is a compliment to the hardware capabilities of the tv’s local dimming. IE, they are both hardware related, while Black Adjust and Adv. Contrast Enhancer are software adjustments.

Two dude’s opinions, but food for thought!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could we add external storage using a usb stick?

I added a USB stick for storage but it doesn't work as I thought it would. Many of the apps don't allow you to move them to the external storage by default. You have to activate developer mode and then you can move most apps, but not all. Apps like Netflix and Prime can't be moved. This video explains how to do it.
ANDROID TV SSD DRIVE UPGRADE (INSANE SPEED)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I added a USB stick for storage but it doesn't work as I thought it would. Many of the apps don't allow you to move them to the external storage by default. You have to activate developer mode and then you can move most apps, but not all. Apps like Netflix and Prime can't be moved. This video explains how to do it.
ANDROID TV SSD DRIVE UPGRADE (INSANE SPEED)
Funny that the video shows 12 gbs of storage, while mine shows on 4.4 GBs. I need to look myself, but what is the quoted storage on the X900H???

5481 - 5500 of 7748 Posts