AVS Forum banner

7041 - 7060 of 12140 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Dolby Vision gaming isn't going to launch until 2021 according to the articles on the Xbox being the first console to have it available. So clearly they have some time to figure it out.

In the meantime HDR10 is (or should) going to work with the other new gaming features so jumping off a cliff over it at the moment seems, well, unwise.

It may not be coming for games on Series X until 2021, but it could still be a problem right away if someone wants to watch a Dolby Vision Blu Ray on the Xbox but normally has it set to [email protected], and you'd have to switch back and forth when gaming vs watching movies in that case. Of course we still don't have confirmation yet if the Series X will support DV for discs, so maybe that won't matter, but still...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thats not going to matter for console games. They are either capped at 60FPS and VRR will help when there are frames dropped, or they have a 120FPS mode but at 1080P/1440P.

Xbox series x/s is the only console that will support Dolby Vision and it wont even be active for games until next year sometime.
There are a number of games that have unlocked framerate modes, and with VRR becoming more common, there will probably be a higher percentage of games in the future that support an unlocked framerate as well, so you're wrong, having VRR support above 60fps can matter for console games.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Just updated my 85" with the linked posted previously. Thanks!!! Mine wasn't getting an auto update triggered.

Reactions: 88keyz

·
Registered
20 Posts
For those that haven't already received the new 4K120 X900H firmware update in the US or Canada yet there is now a direct download link available.

Firmware update to v6.0384

Benefits and Improvements
  • Introduces Apple TV app.
  • Enables 4k120 Hz signal support for PS5™.
  • Enables eARC support.
  • Introduces a new parental control function that can limit viewing time.
  • Solves an issue where channels switch by themselves after changing the channel order.
Link: https://tv.update.sony.net/OND/2020.../sony_atvotafull_2020_1600384100_naa_auth.zip

USB Update Instructions: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00119543
Can you confirm this worked? Still seeing the old firmware as the latest download on the US site.

·
Registered
209 Posts
there is no reason why this should be true

if anything, lack of X-wide benefits 900H in this case
I thought the same thing but for some reason, at least at 85”, it does look sharper and more clear. The reality creation can be turned up on the 900h to make it look closer. Maybe there is some extra artificial processing going on with the ultimate chip on the 950h without using reality creation. There is also slightly less color banding without engaging the Smooth gradation feature.

The one negative with my 950h is that I have some clouding near the center that I didn’t notice on any of the 4 900h’s I had. It looks like larger blooming where the cloud is. I think the extra contrast of the 900 hid any clouding issues. The blooming on the 950h is slightly brighter but appears to be a little smaller zones in general, unless it hits my cloud spot. Maybe the 950h has more zones, either way it’s still not OLED black levels.

I would’ve been perfectly happy with the 900h if it didn’t have screen issues. I’m still disappointed that all of these tvs have trade offs and little issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
X65X900H, STRDN1080, UBPX700 4K BluRay player, PS4 Pro, Polk Audio Rc65i, rc60i, rt 255c, psw505
133 Posts
For those that haven't already received the new 4K120 X900H firmware update in the US or Canada yet there is now a direct download link available.

Firmware update to v6.0384

Benefits and Improvements
  • Introduces Apple TV app.
  • Enables 4k120 Hz signal support for PS5™.
  • Enables eARC support.
  • Introduces a new parental control function that can limit viewing time.
  • Solves an issue where channels switch by themselves after changing the channel order.
Link: https://tv.update.sony.net/OND/2020.../sony_atvotafull_2020_1600384100_naa_auth.zip

USB Update Instructions: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00119543
How did you come across this? Support page for North America still says July 21 is the latest update.

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP504C & RP500SA, 4x JBL HLS820, SMSL-SU8, MD THXAAA789, Senn HD6XX
170 Posts
My wife and I are having a bit of disagreement about the bezel colour. She wants the silver one (9077), and I feel its just strange not to have a black bezeled tv. :)

Can you give any advice? Would you say the silver bezel makes any difference in watching, especially at night? Is it easy to get used to?

Thanks!
The silver part of the bezel is really thin, but in extreme bright light it will reflect slightly. I'm not that much of a masochist though to care. You'll never see it.

My prior tv (a sony from 2013) had a wider silver bezel, and I ended up preferring it. During night time viewing I never saw it anyway, and during the day it felt like it blended in with my boring white wall that was behind it better than black would.

The bezel is thin, even the black area around the screen...I've seen phones with thicker bezels.

TLDR: It shouldn't matter to anyone. But if it matters to your wife...you've got a great argument for splurging on an ultra short throw projector and one of those fancy screens that folds into it's base!

·
Registered
89 Posts
It may not be coming for games on Series X until 2021, but it could still be a problem right away if someone wants to watch a Dolby Vision Blu Ray on the Xbox but normally has it set to [email protected], and you'd have to switch back and forth when gaming vs watching movies in that case. Of course we still don't have confirmation yet if the Series X will support DV for discs, so maybe that won't matter, but still...
I really Hope Series X supports DV for discs that way maybe they will fix the Xbox One X to support DV for discs as well. Really stupid I have to choose between a 4K disc with no DV or streaming with DV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The silver part of the bezel is really thin, but in extreme bright light it will reflect slightly. I'm not that much of a masochist though to care. You'll never see it.

My prior tv (a sony from 2013) had a wider silver bezel, and I ended up preferring it. During night time viewing I never saw it anyway, and during the day it felt like it blended in with my boring white wall that was behind it better than black would.

The bezel is thin, even the black area around the screen...I've seen phones with thicker bezels.

TLDR: It shouldn't matter to anyone. But if it matters to your wife...you've got a great argument for splurging on an ultra short throw projector and one of those fancy screens that folds into it's base!
Just to be clear, EU has two variants 9077 and 9096. The former has an actual grey/silver bezel. Im not talking only about the thin silver line, the area between the silver line and the screen is grey on 9077 and black on 9096.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
^^^ Yeah, the official Sony TV site for downloads is at www.sony.com The link on the last page is at tv.update.sony.net. Looks fishy to me... I'll wait for the official site.

Reactions: HowieDoin

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That's not a "problem", it's an inconvenience to switch between the modes, taking a few seconds to pull off.

And why wouldn't the Xbox Series X support DV for discs, the Xbox One X does.

Either way, a lot of nervous people in this thread, weeks before the console launches and possibly a full year before DV HDR gaming poses a "problem"

As it is it will do HDR with the new gaming modes without having to switch anything. Worst case scenario you have to switch to turn DV on to watch a disc encoded with DV. I would expect them to figure it out at some point and why wouldn't they? People were freaking out the 2.1 update wasn't happening until Winter 2021 and yet here we are.

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP504C & RP500SA, 4x JBL HLS820, SMSL-SU8, MD THXAAA789, Senn HD6XX
170 Posts
consoles wont be powerful enough to do 4K-120 in next gen games
A few games have said they will have 4k/120 modes. Pretty sure cod and dmc have said they do. There's also the reality that not every game has to be some photorealistic 5 year development monstrosity with 200 characters on screen all shooting off particle effects.

Many games will surely support 4k/120. It just won't be assumed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
^^^ Yeah, the official Sony TV site for downloads is at www.sony.com The link on the last page is at tv.update.sony.net. Looks fishy to me... I'll wait for the official site.
If you view 'page source' for the firmware link, it links to the same tv . update . sony . net address. Assume someone poked around and found the download file even though it is not officially live.

Odd issue with it though is that there is a zip within the zip file that has to be moved to the root directory for it to work. It successfully updated, but it did not fix my wireless wifi connection issue which is what I was hoping for more than the 2.1 update since don't have any 2.1 devices right now. My TV is hard wired for internet, but he wireless connection has never worked (and still doesn't).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can you confirm this worked? Still seeing the old firmware as the latest download on the US site.
I don't have an X900H to confirm but the download is legit and lots of users in this reddit thread are reporting success with the manual update from the link.

How did you come across this? Support page for North America still says July 21 is the latest update.
A user in the above linked reddit thread posted it.

I think I’m going to wait for the support site to update.
The link is legit, not sure why Sony hasn't posted it on the US or Canadian updates sites yet.

This is the download link for the currently posted 6.0142 firmware on Sony.com (here).

Versus the new download link for the 6.0384 firmware.

All Sony's firmware updates are hosted on tv.update.sony.net. The download is legit but if you want to wait then that is completely your decision.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I really Hope Series X supports DV for discs that way maybe they will fix the Xbox One X to support DV for discs as well. Really stupid I have to choose between a 4K disc with no DV or streaming with DV.
So the xbox one s or x doesn't support dv on disc? So only streaming apps. I assumed I'd did, but I only use my xbox for games

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you view 'page source' for the firmware link, it links to the same tv . update . sony . net address. Assume someone poked around and found the download file even though it is not officially live.

Odd issue with it though is that there is a zip within the zip file that has to be moved to the root directory for it to work. It successfully updated, but it did not fix my wireless wifi connection issue which is what I was hoping for more than the 2.1 update since don't have any 2.1 devices right now. My TV is hard wired for internet, but he wireless connection has never worked (and still doesn't).
Sony's 2018 and 2020 firmware updates are all a ZIP with a ZIP. Check the USB update instructions on this page for the currently posted X900H firmware and you'll see that they describe the ZIP with a ZIP update procedure.

7041 - 7060 of 12140 Posts