AVS Forum banner

7061 - 7080 of 8082 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
consoles wont be powerful enough to do 4K-120 in next gen games
That's been said 100's of times, but COD already stated they are running at 4k up to 120fps. Any game that varies between 60-120fps, will benefit from the 4k/120Hz and the other HDMI 2.1 features.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sony's 2018 and 2020 firmware updates are all a ZIP with a ZIP. Check the USB update instructions on this page for the currently posted X900H firmware and you'll see that they describe the ZIP with a ZIP update procedure.
It may have created it's own named firmware folder when initially unzipped the download link, but had to go in that directory and move the zip file inside of it to the root of the USB. May have been a procedural error on my side.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don't have an X900H to confirm but the download is legit and lots of users in this reddit thread are reporting success with the manual update from the link.

A user in the above linked reddit thread posted it.

The link is legit, not sure why Sony hasn't posted it on the US or Canadian updates sites yet.

This is the download link for the currently posted 6.0142 firmware on Sony.com (here).

Versus the new download link for the 6.0384 firmware.

All Sony's firmware updates are hosted on tv.update.sony.net. The download is legit but if you want to wait then that is completely your decision.
Worked without issue thanks.

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP504C & RP500SA, 4x JBL HLS820, SMSL-SU8, MD THXAAA789, Senn HD6XX
101 Posts
So now that we have earc (many thanks for posting the link to the manual update!) what's the best setting to use in the digital audio output section?

My primary sources for playback of movies and the like is a PC and a NAS with plex. Sometimes I use the prime video app.

Auto1, auto2, or pcm?

My first guess was pcm...but when I played a soundcheck file my rear surrounds were not used, so I switched to auto2 and they were. I guess I'm confused on this setting.

My avr does have earc, atmos, truehd, dts:x, and dts:hdma

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello and sorry form my english.

I'm from Mexico and apply the update manually and without problems. Working perfectly.

I test with an LG UBK90 that not working the DV with the Low profile DV that Sony use in this tv. But whit this update is working perfectly.

Whit the enhanced settings of both HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 and with the new DV option form the 2.1.

Enviado desde mi RMX2063 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
And why wouldn't the Xbox Series X support DV for discs, the Xbox One X does.
Not true, unfortunately. I assumed the same as you until buying the 900H, a TV which supports DV. The Xbox One X only supports DV via apps NOT disc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello and sorry form my english.

I'm from Mexico and apply the update manually and without problems. Working perfectly.

I test with an LG UBK90 that not working the DV with the Low profile DV that Sony use in this tv. But whit this update is working perfectly.

Whit the enhanced settings of both HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 and with the new DV option form the 2.1.

Are you saying DV worked on the enhanced mode hdmi setting (not the enhanced with dolby vision setting)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you saying DV worked on the enhanced mode hdmi setting (not the enhanced with dolby vision setting)?
Yes, I change both options and recognize the DV. The ubk90 don't have DV selector like Sony UHD player like X700 or 800-m2.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you view 'page source' for the firmware link, it links to the same tv . update . sony . net address. Assume someone poked around and found the download file even though it is not officially live.

Odd issue with it though is that there is a zip within the zip file that has to be moved to the root directory for it to work. It successfully updated, but it did not fix my wireless wifi connection issue which is what I was hoping for more than the 2.1 update since don't have any 2.1 devices right now. My TV is hard wired for internet, but he wireless connection has never worked (and still doesn't).
The wireless works, you have to unplug the hardwire. Just found this out testing last week

·
Registered
156 Posts
So now that we have earc (many thanks for posting the link to the manual update!) what's the best setting to use in the digital audio output section?

My primary sources for playback of movies and the like is a PC and a NAS with plex. Sometimes I use the prime video app.

Auto1, auto2, or pcm?

My first guess was pcm...but when I played a soundcheck file my rear surrounds were not used, so I switched to auto2 and they were. I guess I'm confused on this setting.

My avr does have earc, atmos, truehd, dts:x, and dts:hdma
Try the following settings on the TV, these should give you the results you're looking for.

Code:
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Sound mode sync (Disable)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > A/V sync (Auto)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > eARC mode (Auto)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Digital audio out (Auto 1)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Dolby Digital Plus output (Dolby Digital Plus)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Pass through mode (Auto)
Settings > Device Preferences > Sounds > System sounds (Disable)
If you start having issues with audio drop outs when using the internal apps then set 'Pass through mode' to 'Off'. You'll lose DTS output/passthrough but it'll stop (or at least help with) the audio drop outs.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
And hardwired works too, just shouldn't have wireless turned on while hardwired.
First time I have had one not work while the other is on or connected. They usually will both work with anything else I have connected in the past, I was just testing that it worked. Found it strange wireless wouldn't connect while hardwired.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The wireless works, you have to unplug the hardwire. Just found this out testing last week
Well damn ! I swear I tried it with ethernet unplugged before and didn't connect. But I just pulled it and sure enough the wifi connected immediately !
Glad you prompted me to try again... feel much better about things, even though will leave wired connection, nice to know wireless works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just picked a 65" up yesterday. Set up the basic custom settings - wondering if anyone has some calibration settings for colour etc?> I realise each panel is different but usually a good place to start. I couldnt see any links in the thread (certainly not on first post as used to be the case). Anyway I am pretty impressed so far - I bought the TV after a bit of reading mainly for the HDMI 2.1, VRR etc ready for the PS5 .. Looking forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077 when the PS5 update drops :)

Also I must say I am most impressed with how this TV integrated with my devices. I have a almost decade old Onkyo Receiver with 4x HDMI 1.4 outputs and after buying the TV realised I probably will need to update this.. But to be honest no need, all my apps/media pc etc is integrated into the TV and I literally dont need the media pc, the setop box is fine at 1.4 and the console the boys have I plugged into another HDMI port which pushed the sound to the receiver perfectly.. so when I do get the ps5 it will simply plug into the hdmi 2.1 and push out the sound to the receiver.

No buyers Remorse here.. And a worthy upgrade to my Sony 55HX925 which has been amazing for a long time :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I manually updated this morning. Haven't really noticed anything different. Then again, I don't have anything that supports eARC or HDMI 2.1 yet. The next few weeks are going to be torture.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's been said 100's of times, but COD already stated they are running at 4k up to 120fps. Any game that varies between 60-120fps, will benefit from the 4k/120Hz and the other HDMI 2.1 features.
That's not how it was worded. They aren't going to have 120fps at 4k or unlocked over 60fps mode.
The game is 4k 60fps "or up to 120fps" meaning there is a mode that targets 120fps and will be a different resolution, most likely 1080P or 1440P.

The only officially confirmed 4k 120fps game so far is Ori. Small or non demanding games like that are the only games that will be doing 120fps at native 4k on next gen consoles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's not how it was worded. They aren't going to have 120fps at 4k or unlocked over 60fps mode.
The game is 4k 60fps "or up to 120fps" meaning there is a mode that targets 120fps and will be a different resolution, most likely 1080P or 1440P.

The only officially confirmed 4k 120fps game so far is Ori. Small or non demanding games like that are the only games that will be doing 120fps at native 4k on next gen consoles.
yeah probably 4k @120 hz does not necessarily mean it has to target 120 fps.. i can play games on 1440p @120 hz at 60 fps.

7061 - 7080 of 8082 Posts