AVS Forum banner

7101 - 7120 of 8082 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi everyone. I am an owner of a 75 inch Q80T from samsung. While the picture quality is amazing, i am very bothered by the amount of dirty screen effect it has. It has a lot of visible vertical banding which honestly ruins the viewing experience. I was wondering if Sonys panel fair any better regarding the DSE issue. Honest responses please. How is the screen grey uniformity for the 900H?
Reading reviews it seems to be panel lottery thing...but seems most are good. Mine has some darkening in the very corners (vignetting which is supposedly 'normal'), but is pretty good across the rest of the screen. Don't notice in regular viewing.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Ugh, updated to new firmware hoping the TV would finally start powering on with actual sync to my Apple TV and not requiring me to soft reset the ATV every power cycle. Now it's actually regressed, and last power on after being off all night was back to the full black screen requiring holding the power button for a soft reset of the TV itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone else here update to the newest update with 4k 120hz and had any really weird issues with resolution? 4k120 looks very blurry, and when I try and set my computer (rtx 3080 build) back to the 4k60, the top half of the screen flashes very badly. Anyone else had any issues?
I also have this exact problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised to see that I am able to use 4K @ 120Hz 4:2:0 8bit after the update over HDMI 2.0 with my RTX 2070.
I was testing to see if I can use 1440p @ 120Hz first after the update using the new enhanced mode.
While I still couldn't get [email protected] to work, it was a nice surprise to see the [email protected] now available.
It‘s limited colors of course since rtx 2070 doesn’t support hdmi 2.1 but still...

·
Registered
488 Posts
No. DD+ is the format that all streaming services uses for Atmos. You can’t get lossless Atmos from streaming services.
honestly, without streaming services offering truehd atmos, I’m not sure I’m getting much of a benefit from eARC. I’m running the panny through the receiver so don’t need eARC for that.... I guess if the Xbox series x offers truehd atmos for gaming then I’ll see some benefit.... but it’s a shame streaming services are looking to cut bandwidth rather than offer better quality.... hopefully, vrr and all that are all they’re cracked up to be!

Ugh, updated to new firmware hoping the TV would finally start powering on with actual sync to my Apple TV and not requiring me to soft reset the ATV every power cycle. Now it's actually regressed, and last power on after being off all night was back to the full black screen requiring holding the power button for a soft reset of the TV itself.
I use the ATV and cec works great. The tv and receiver turn off when I put the ATV in sleep mode.... the only annoying thing is that sometimes when I press a button on the Sony remote it will wake the ATV up and switch to that input....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Anyone else experiencing Apps freezing up with the new firmware?

I’ve had it happen twice over the past couple of days. Once using the internal YouTube app, and then again last night using the Amazon app.

I get a couple minutes into a video/show and then the picture freezes and the audio makes a constant and awful sound. Only way to get out of it is to press and hold the power button on the remote to do a soft reset.

Is it just me? this Had never happened prior to the new firmware being installed, after my TV told me it was available.
That isn’t new, welcome to Android TV, mine did that before the update. Just watching TV, sound goes haywire and the TV eventually reboots.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Brightness bug.

After turning on my tv, the brightness setting will be different then the brightness number displayed. I have to change the brightness setting and immediately the brightness changes. Anybody else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thankfully I'm not alone, I'm going to be calling sony customer service on money or Tuesday (Sunday is for football here) and see what's going on, it's very strange. It almost looks like a busted 1440p going through instead of 4k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone else here update to the newest update with 4k 120hz and had any really weird issues with resolution? 4k120 looks very blurry, and when I try and set my computer (rtx 3080 build) back to the 4k60, the top half of the screen flashes very badly. Anyone else had any issues?
Same problem. This needs serious attention, as 4k120 is a critical feature many bought the set for, but Sony may now handwave this away as ""working"" (it is indeed blurry, but I don't find it so blurry that the less discerning might not fail to notice and/or care, it is firstmost noticeable on very small text which many will increase the size of). Or, it'll get lost in hand waving of people with an incorrect setup, or people claiming that you as well, must be using an incorrect setup or poor cables (see below..). I have already seen posts on reddit already of people complaining their pre-30 series cards aren't working correctly for 4k120.

For the record, I have a 3090 attached, and yes, all the color format settings are correct. I also have a 4k 144hz (via dp of course) monitor attached to the PC and the clarity difference is night and day between the two. I have also tested 4:4:4 color test images, and yes, even with the bluriness, it is still actually receiving a 4:4:4 signal.

The only remaining unknown is if it somehow our 'unofficial' cables producing a precisely similar effect to each other as there are no 'official' cables yet. But I've never seen a digital hdmi cable act such that it unfailingly maintains signal but has a consistent blurriness like a form of poor post-processing AA has been applied when it isn't keeping up with bandwidth issues. Usually this should manifest via signal dropouts or just no signal at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Brightness bug.

After turning on my tv, the brightness setting will be different then the brightness number displayed. I have to change the brightness setting and immediately the brightness changes. Anybody else?
I think it has to do with the a daylight sensor, I know you can turn it off in the settings.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Do you guy's leave the motion setting to 1 (I think that's the default) in dolby vision? Or put it to off or min? I usually like to keep motion settings off, however, I noticed during some scenes in "Our Planet" on Netflix that it was easier to see the full motion of the birds and other quick moving animals when it was set to the default settings instead of off...
The motion handling is excellent on this TV. I leave all on "Auto". It's not like previous TV generations, where you had the trailing soap opera motion effects. This TV has AI recognition of objects like hands, faces, etc. Everything looks good to me with it on. With Motion off, everything is very jerky due to the fast pixel response of this TV.

Okay, so I just tested it out. I have my Xbox one x plugged into where my series x will go (hdmi 4).... I was able to get dolby atmos truehd from the Alita 4k uhd disk on the Xbox via eARC.... internal sony apps (Netflix, Apple TV, and fandangonow) are only providing atmos via dolby digital plus....

so that begs the question, will any streaming services be offering truehd atmos content?
Dolby's document goes over why Atmos needs a Dolby bitstream over HDMI.
WHY CAN'T I JUST SEND PCM?
There's a lot more to Dolby audio than just compression! You get the best possible audio quality when the final device in the chain does the audio decoding. Dolby audio bitstreams have metadata parameters that define how surround sound is downmixed to stereo, what type of dynamic range compression should be applied and other useful information. To get the best sound quality out of a television or home theater system, it's best if they receive a Dolby bitstream over HDMI. Additionally, there is NO way of sending Dolby Atmos over PCM over HDMI, so you have to send Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD to get the Dolby Atmos experience.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Same problem. This needs serious attention, as 4k120 is a critical feature many bought the set for, but Sony may now handwave this away as ""working"" (it is indeed blurry, but I don't find it so blurry that the less discerning might not fail to notice and/or care, it is firstmost noticeable on very small text which many will increase the size of). Or, it'll get lost in hand waving of people with an incorrect setup, or people claiming that you as well, must be using an incorrect setup or poor cables (see below..). I have already seen posts on reddit already of people complaining their pre-30 series cards aren't working correctly for 4k120.

For the record, I have a 3090 attached, and yes, all the color format settings are correct. I also have a 4k 144hz (via dp of course) monitor attached to the PC and the clarity difference is night and day between the two. I have also tested 4:4:4 color test images, and yes, even with the bluriness, it is still actually receiving a 4:4:4 signal.

The only remaining unknown is if it somehow our 'unofficial' cables producing a precisely similar effect to each other as there are no 'official' cables yet. But I've never seen a digital hdmi cable act such that it unfailingly maintains signal but has a consistent blurriness like a form of poor post-processing AA has been applied when it isn't keeping up with bandwidth issues. Usually this should manifest via signal dropouts or just no signal at all.
I find it strange that Vincent from HDTVTest connected his 3090 to it and didn’t mention anything about it not displaying correctly. Obviously any pre 30 series card won’t work with 4K 120 444 because they are not HDMI 2.1

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think it has to do with the a daylight sensor, I know you can turn it off in the settings.
I have the sensor off. It doesn't happen all the time.

It's hard to notice. But I use my tv as a monitor and view a lot of blank white backgrounds so I do notice it from time to time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I find it strange that Vincent from HDTVTest connected his 3090 to it and didn’t mention anything about it not displaying correctly.
It sounds like he is new to using a hdtv as a monitor for a pc. The new hdmi 2.1 technology is the reason he is doing all this with a pc.

So he may not have the experience to notice these things if they are subtle.

7101 - 7120 of 8082 Posts