AVS Forum banner

761 - 780 of 4446 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
DANGEROUSLY CLOSE! Hope they have the 85"!!!

They only had the 65. I asked them if and when they were going to get 75 and they could not give me an exact date because of everything going on, but they said check back next week.
The 75” is available in Houston. Save a little with the Samsung Q70D (Costco’s Q70r version) or go for the x900h?

·
Registered
49 Posts
32 zones on 900H? Is that all sizes. 65 900E had 45. Hmm which explains why it's not as bright as the 900E and deliver good blacks. It's less bright than the 900E by like 100-200 NITS. On input lag X900H says 16ms, idk if that is 4k\60 or 1080p/120. If the 900H is 16ms at 4k/60 that's twice a better lag response than the 900E's 34ms range on 4K/60 but I'm going to assume it means 1080p/120. Also says the X1 chip is improved yet as to why they didn't add Xtended dynamic range pro or super bit mapping is beyond me, I think they had to downgrade those to add all the other features is my assumption.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
32 zones on 900H? Is that all sizes. 65 900E had 45. Hmm which explains why it's not as bright as the 900E and deliver good blacks. It's less bright than the 900E by like 100-200 NITS. On input lag X900H says 16ms, idk if that is 4k\60 or 1080p/120. If the 900H is 16ms at 4k/60 that's twice a better lag response than the 900E's 34ms range on 4K/60 but I'm going to assume it means 1080p/120. Also says the X1 chip is improved yet as to why they didn't add Xtended dynamic range pro or super bit mapping is beyond me, I think they had to downgrade those to add all the other features is my assumption.

It’s 32 zones on the 65”. It has more zones on the larger sizes. The input lag is much better on the 900h compared to the 900e regardless of source. Thought you said the contrast was better on the 900h compared to the 900e? Are you backing away from that now? Are the two sets pretty comparable in terms of black level and picture quality or is the 900e better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
It’️s 32 zones on the 65â€Â. It has more zones on the larger sizes. The input lag is much better on the 900h compared to the 900e regardless of source. Thought you said the contrast was better on the 900h compared to the 900e? Are you backing away from that now? Are the two sets pretty comparable in terms of black level and picture quality or is the 900e better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah okay. I have the 75", couldn't find the zones, just read they lowered the zone amount. But that's still more zones on X900E by size comparison then. The way I saw it with contrast was that I thought the 900H MUST be brighter because I have to turn down the contrast to keep my white levels in SDR compared to the 900E. It's weird I set my contrast by a particular contrast calibration image and I can have the contrast up to 89 on SDR on the 900E but when I go to play HDR games the contrast is blown out on games like Far Cry 5 or Here they Lie's loading screen and I have to bring it down to like 67. But when I use that same image on the 900H, contrast can only go to 77 on SDR and the HDR in games isn't blown out. I don't know if the 900E is just processing the image more faithfully or is that just a normal thing going up in size? Does contrast change even within the same model sizes?Isn't contrast a ratio of white and black, can the 900H have better contrast with less nits?IDK. So far i haven't noticed any differences in black level they're both showing black bars in movies and in games I haven't had any light bleeding, the haloing is on par on both. Motion like I said is good too. All I can go off on are my impressions, I don't have equipment. Waiting on a review to really see what the specs are.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ah okay. I have the 75", couldn't find the zones, just read they lowered the zone amount. But that's still more zones on X900E by size comparison then. The way I saw it with contrast was that I thought the 900H MUST be brighter because I have to turn down the contrast to keep my white levels in SDR compared to the 900E. It's weird I set my contrast by a particular contrast calibration image and I can have the contrast up to 89 on SDR on the 900E but when I go to play HDR games the contrast is blown out on games like Far Cry 5 or Here they Lie's loading screen and I have to bring it down to like 67. But when I use that same image on the 900H, contrast can only go to 77 on SDR and the HDR in games isn't blown out. I don't know if the 900E is just processing the image more faithfully or what. Isn't contrast a ratio of white and black, can the 900H have better contrast with less nits?IDK. So far i haven't noticed any differences in black level they're both showing black bars in movies and in games I haven't had any light bleeding, the haloing is on par on both. Motion like I said is good too. All I can go off on are my impressions, I don't have equipment. Waiting on a review to really see what the specs are.

You pretty much summed up what contrast is. The variation be lighter and darker colors in a image. HDR is supposed to increase the contrast as that’s the objective. It sounds like the picture quality is very similar bw the two sets. I would think the native contrast will be lower on the 900h and more in line with the 900f which is lower than the 900e as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
Te concern is that although the Sony 900H has them, Costco's Sony CH90 variant might not.
Costco doesn't have a history of buying/selling dumb-down versions of any makers TVs. They simply get a model that receives a different SKU for identification and other purposes (price matching, special delivery/handling needs due to inventory management, etc.). In fact, Costco's versions some times have enhancements like voice-included remotes that aren't available at BBY and other retailers. For certain, Costco does not want people returning TVs because someone thought they bought a full-featured version only to end up with something less. They'd be full of returns for that reason.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Anyone have experience with this stand mount

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CORQRX0/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_mG52EbJ5DYPCS

I purchased it because the legs for the 85" won't fit on my current stand, Amazon says max weight is 143 lbs (900h is 100 lbs), but the company's website says 88 lbs

Wondering if I should look for something else?

I will have experience with it once my TV arrives. I bought that same stand. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Still not sure when the TV will be delivered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone have experience with this stand mount

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CORQRX0/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_mG52EbJ5DYPCS

I purchased it because the legs for the 85" won't fit on my current stand, Amazon says max weight is 143 lbs (900h is 100 lbs), but the company's website says 88 lbs

Wondering if I should look for something else?

I will have experience with it once my TV arrives. I bought that same stand. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Still not sure when the TV will be delivered.
Should be fine. Upon further inspection I found the company website says 143 lbs as well (also says 198 lbs, so....?) not sure where the 88 lb limit came from, I know I saw it somewhere. My only concern though is the paper work in the box says nothing about weight limit at all.

I got my stand set up this morning, it seems pretty sturdy. TV should be here sometime in the next 5 hours. Alos gonna order an anti tip strap just to be safe

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
So update, tv got delivered, got the brackets attached and put it on the stand.... I dunno, I've never mounted a TV before so maybe it's just that, but I don't feel comfortable with it on there.

Been looking for a new entertainment center and nothing fits this TV. Found a few that were wide enough, but not deep enough.

Those with the 85", what are you putting it on? I may just have to build my own

·
Registered
313 Posts
Considering getting a 70x24” solid countertop to put on top of my 60” entertainment center. With the weight it shouldn’t be danger to move.

So update, tv got delivered, got the brackets attached and put it on the stand.... I dunno, I've never mounted a TV before so maybe it's just that, but I don't feel comfortable with it on there.

Been looking for a new entertainment center and nothing fits this TV. Found a few that were wide enough, but not deep enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Costco doesn't have a history of buying/selling dumb-down versions of any makers TVs. They simply get a model that receives a different SKU for identification and other purposes (price matching, special delivery/handling needs due to inventory management, etc.). In fact, Costco's versions some times have enhancements like voice-included remotes that aren't available at BBY and other retailers. For certain, Costco does not want people returning TVs because someone thought they bought a full-featured version only to end up with something less. They'd be full of returns for that reason.
Not true of the Costco version of the LG C9 OLED that didn't have WISA support.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Considering getting a 70x24” solid countertop to put on top of my 60” entertainment center. With the weight it shouldn’t be danger to move.

That's basically what I'm thinking too. I have a 58" x 20" stand now. Think I'm Gonna get some thick plywood 66" x 20" and put it on top of my stand then just build additional support legs out of 4x4s. So instead of building a whole new unit I'm just basically building a shell around my old one. I could probably even get away with just the plywood, the tvs not that heavy, but better safe than sorry

·
Registered
617 Posts
Not true of the Costco version of the LG C9 OLED that didn't have WISA support.
Not accurate. Go to the C9 55 owners forum pages here and you’ll see that many owners of the C9 are reporting that WISA is on the Costco models they own and use.

Again, Costco not asking for feature-reduced models.

·
Registered
176 Posts

I bought http://crimsonav.com/ds84.html in 2017 for my 85" tv and have been using it ever since with no issues. It's definitely more expensive than the one listed here from Amazon but it appears to be much heavier too. It's been very stable with no issues but where I bought appears to no longer sell it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here is my link for the X900H authorized service manual for people who want to learn more about the TV.

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=a40c6f7346bb321d21f66541cb9dec77
Interesting, the X900H signal path diagram (see below) basically confirms the claim from the Chinese review that Sony is performing the X1 signal processing functions on the main SoC for the first time. Compare this with the X950G signal path diagram (see below) and you'll see a "4K BE" chipset between the primary SoC and the panel, this 4K backend is the X1 Ultimate processor. On the X900H there is no intermediate chipset between the primary SoC and the panel meaning no separate X1 processor.

Also of interest is the fact that, thanks to its HDMI 2.1 compliant primary SoC, the X900H no longer requires a separate chipset for the implementation of eARC as was necessary on X950G.

X900H Signal Path Diagram

X950G Signal Path Diagram

·
Banned
308 Posts
I have the service manual for the X950H as well.. As I told everyone before, the two TVs share the same internal hardware. Sony is ripping people off, and no one should buy an X950H. It is an overpriced X950G. I can no longer post in the X950G thread. The mods have blocked me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have the service manual for the X950H as well.. As I told everyone before, the two TVs share the same internal hardware. Sony is ripping people off, and no one should buy an X950H. It is an overpriced X950G. I can no longer post in the X950G thread. The mods have blocked me.
this is the 900H thread, not the 950H
go there please

we really dont care much about 950G/950H, we know what we are getting with the 900H (HDMI 2.1, newer faster SoC, no wide-angle etc. .. also supposedly the X1 in the 900H is not the same old X1 from ~2017)

761 - 780 of 4446 Posts