AVS Forum banner

8081 - 8100 of 11669 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
So can anyone confirm if Auto Local Dimming set to High is bugged, or is it actually working as intended? Basically with it on High, if there is a small bright box in the center of the screen, it is actually dimmer than with it on Medium. Not only that, but setting it to High also seems to mess up the white balance and clips some whites! It's very obvious on certain images if you switch back and forth between the settings.
It doesn't seem to be a big issue leaving it on Medium, but it definitely doesn't let the screen get as inky black as it can on High (hard to notice in normal usage).
I noticed a couple of posts in this thread refered to this same issue but the discussion never went anywhere other than "Medium is the proper setting".
So in summary, firmware bug or working as intended?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sony has this USB idle bug for years. They haven't fixed it and high chance they won't
You can plug your bias lightning system to power outlet instead.
Hope this isn’t something that stays unfixed. Might just have to unplug from the USB 3.0 when not in use. Probably only use the bias lighting when I want lights-out movie watching anyway. Still better than overhead lighting.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well this varies depending so many things such the GPU, CPU, and even drivers.

Sounds like you have Vsync turned on. That’s the #1 latency culprit. Also turn on Nvidia’s Low Latency Mode to Ultra if you have an Nvidia 2000 series or better. Turn the TV to Game or Graphics as well. Also I bypassed my receiver had everything hooked up to Port 4

As far as network latency I use a Asus AC5300 hardwired. COD usually grabs me less than 50ms ping games depending on the available players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m just using an Xbox one s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hope this isn’t something that stays unfixed. Might just have to unplug from the USB 3.0 when not in use. Probably only use the bias lighting when I want lights-out movie watching anyway. Still better than overhead lighting.
No remote for your bias lighting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
So can anyone confirm if Auto Local Dimming set to High is bugged, or is it actually working as intended? Basically with it on High, if there is a small bright box in the center of the screen, it is actually dimmer than with it on Medium. Not only that, but setting it to High also seems to mess up the white balance and clips some whites! It's very obvious on certain images if you switch back and forth between the settings.
It doesn't seem to be a big issue leaving it on Medium, but it definitely doesn't let the screen get as inky black as it can on High (hard to notice in normal usage).
I noticed a couple of posts in this thread refered to this same issue but the discussion never went anywhere other than "Medium is the proper setting".
So in summary, firmware bug or working as intended?
This is working as designed. For accuracy of image, you set it to Medium. If you care more about blooming, you want it set to High.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is working as designed. For accuracy of image, you set it to Medium. If you care more about blooming, you want it set to High.
Luckily I don't notice blooming even on Medium, just sometimes larger black patches exhibit that ever so slight backlight glow, but even that's only noticeable in a completely dark room. I just find it strange the High setting screws with the white color balancing and not just brightness...

P.s. I'm just being nit-picky, I still love this set and think it's one of the best you can get at this price!

Reactions: gamermwm

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I agree, it's probably as Sony intended.

I would also add that Medium is the setting you want to choose for the brightest HDR. If you have letterbox bars on a movie and notice too much flashlighting from the corners of your tv, or the bars seem too gray, then that might be the one time to go ahead and use High (but I usually don't).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Luckily I don't notice blooming even on Medium, just sometimes larger black patches exhibit that ever so slight backlight glow, but even that's only noticeable in a completely dark room. I just find it strange the High setting screws with the white color balancing and not just brightness...

P.s. I'm just being nit-picky, I still love this set and think it's one of the best you can get at this price!
That's why the settings are there, to adjust to your liking.
Knowing what the 'right' settings are supposed to be is good... But if you prefer something different, then it's your choice.

Know back in the day the 'right' brightness and contrast made for a pretty dark picture... Usually ended up cranking them up a couple notches (way down from torch mode, but still up from calibrated).

·
Vendor
27,930 Posts
Guys i have a really bad feeling about this 4k 120HZ issue. When i updated my TV a few weeks back manually the patchlog said:

„activates support for 4K 120Hz“

Now it says

„activates support for 4K 120Hz signals FOR PS5“
There may be a glitch or two when these gaming systems come out. What do you all think?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone else experiencing random reboots, frozen screens, and clicking noise from time to time after the update? Driving me nuts on my 2 week old TV.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wish they would figure out the motion bug !
Put motion and other settings on AUTO. This TV has great motion interpolation which is AI enhanced. There is no blurry trails nor soap opera effects like on older TV's. It works great and I leave it on.

I agree, it's probably as Sony intended.

I would also add that Medium is the setting you want to choose for the brightest HDR. If you have letterbox bars on a movie and notice too much flashlighting from the corners of your tv, or the bars seem too gray, then that might be the one time to go ahead and use High (but I usually don't).
There is no difference HDR brightness in medium or high backlight setting. I measured with my X-Rite i1 Display Pro. Same 600-700 nits on my TV. If you want higher HDR, you set the contrast enhancer to high and max out the other settings.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Anyone else experiencing random reboots, frozen screens, and clicking noise from time to time after the update? Driving me nuts on my 2 week old TV.
On the TV go to Settings > Remote Control > RS232 > and change the type to "serial."

TV will reboot and that should solve the random power ons. There is a bug with the TV and it defaults to HDMI and Off doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the TV go to Settings > Remote Control > RS232 > and change the type to "serial."

TV will reboot and that should solve the random power ons. There is a bug with the TV and it defaults to HDMI and Off doesn't seem to work.
I dont have these in my settings

I don't have that setting either i have EU model i found some rs232 settings in different location but it had only hdmi and off no serial option and it didn't help with clicking when changed to off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have that setting either i have EU model i found some rs232 settings in different location but it had only hdmi and off no serial option and it didn't help with clicking when changed to off.
Same, i toggled off to see if any difference. Will update.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Same, i toggled off to see if any difference. Will update.
You can try enabled Simple IP Control > ON (or something similar) to see if that helps. Similar function to the RS232 function.

Reactions: Neil S. Bulk

·
Registered
12 Posts
European models have the settings here:
Settings -> Watching TV -> External Inputs -> Advanced Settings -> RS232 Control (Off or HDMI)

·
Registered
263 Posts
SNIP-
There is no difference HDR brightness in medium or high backlight setting. I measured with my X-Rite i1 Display Pro. Same 600-700 nits on my TV. If you want higher HDR, you set the contrast enhancer to high and max out the other settings.
Sorry but I have to disagree on this. This might be true full field but using contrast checkerboard measurements or in real scene content where dimming zones are involved in keeping blacks "black" the ALD Settings of High clamps down on brightness. For example, the attached HDR video scene of the egg at the16 second mark demonstrates this to the eye easily if you toggle between High and Medium. When measured, you'll find that High drops the peak highlight on the egg by @18%, 219 nits down to 178.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can try enabled Simple IP Control > ON (or something similar) to see if that helps. Similar function to the RS232 function.
Toggled simple ip on still got the clicking noise.
European models have the settings here:
Settings -> Watching TV -> External Inputs -> Advanced Settings -> RS232 Control (Off or HDMI)
Yes i found the RS232 options on eu version but we are missing the serial option which has said to help with clicking the hdmi and off option doesn't help with that. If you were just telling where the options were then yes they are there.

8081 - 8100 of 11669 Posts