AVS Forum banner

8101 - 8120 of 16617 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
rtings has updated the tv review with the HDMI 2.1 retest. 4k @ 120hz 6.7ms lag and 1440p 120hz is still showing N/A
this is the most important part (besides them confirming 6.7ms lag at 4K-120):

"The Sony X900H supports most common resolutions, except for 1440p @ 120Hz. It properly displays 4k @ 120Hz and doesn't skip frames. Chroma 4:4:4 is supported at all resolutions, and only requires that you be in 'Game' or 'Graphics' mode. However, text still looks a bit blurry with chroma 4:4:4 at 4k @ 120Hz, as you can see in this photo "

so rtings confirms some blur at 4K-120

·
Registered
446 Posts
So I'm trying to compare some hdmi cables (recently received some zeskit cables) and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the sony tv to confirm it's receiving a dolby vision signal.

I'm playing through an nvidia shield connected directly to hdmi4. I have the external inputs set to enhanced mode, with the setting selected for dolby vision of course.

In the nvidia shield, display preferences, I normally have it set at the dolby vision 4k mode where it was 60hz or 59.940hz, and I've tried the 23.976 as well. Same thing, I'm not seeing dolby vision logoed on the tv.

The dolby vision chameleon video at Dolby Trailers – ATMOS, Lossless TrueHD 7.1, AC3 5.1 always looked a little funny to me in the box where dolby vision was selected, the colors always appeared really saturated. I just didn't worry about it, movies looked fine.

Since I'm scrutinizing video quality of cables, I wanted to confirm the tv was receiving a dolby vision signal. If I press the display button on the remote, I never see anything mentioning dolby vision. Just hdr10.

I also notice there's a sharp snapping sound coming out of my speakers whenever I stop playing the video, and the color of the chameleon changes briefly, whenever I'm exitting the video.

I'm really dubious about these zeskit cables right now, but I'm curious if there's a dolby vision related setting I'm missing?
Look at 'Picture Mode' in the picture settings, it will give choice of "Dolby Vision Dark or Light" when Dolby Vision is active.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Normally my solution for all audio issues for -any- tv is to only use external hdmi devices (roku, etc) and route through a receiver with video passthrough to the display (not arc/earc) so the tv will never have anything to do with the audio output. Sooooo many fewer issues that way. But now we're in a situation where there are no fully functioning hdmi 2.1 receivers for this hdmi 2.1 display, sigh.
Yeah, but we really don't need hdmi 2.1 ports for external streaming devices at this point. My atv 4k works perfectly without any of the issues people have mentioned.
rtings has updated the tv review with the HDMI 2.1 retest. 4k @ 120hz 6.7ms lag and 1440p 120hz is still showing N/A
That's freaking amazing... I can't wait to test that out! Silly question: Can 4k @ 120hz still disply hdr? I know Vincent has already said we won't be able to do dolby vision @ 4k 120hz.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Obviously the blur bug at 4k 120hz is only noticed at 100 percent, I see they mentioned it but it seems they didn't make it out to be a very big deal.
Obviously the blur bug at 4k 120hz is only noticed at 100 percent, I see they mentioned it but it seems they didn't make it out to be a very big deal.
i can clearly see it at 200% scaling.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts

Reactions: Neil S. Bulk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess I will have to determine if it is useable when I check it out on Thursday.
It still looks very blurred and edgy on 200% scaling.
Im very interested on what Vincent from HDTVTest has to say tomorrow.
I play a lot of Forza 7 and my PC can handle 100-160 frames on 4K, so not beeing able to use it properly is very annoying.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It still looks very blurred and edgy on 200% scaling.
Im very interested on what Vincent from HDTVTest has to say tomorrow.
I play a lot of Forza 7 and my PC can handle 100-160 frames on 4K, so not beeing able to use it properly is very annoying.
Have you tested it in game? How does it look to you? Screen shots to me at least don't seem to show the blur in game. I know there are a few here that think otherwise, while yes it would be a pain to have to go in between 60hz and 120Hz at desktop it would still be useable at this point.
And yes definitely want to hear what Sony has told Vincent about the issues.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I opened a ticket with Sony regarding my 85X900H and the eARC issue. The issue I’m having (not sure if this is exactly the same as everyone else) is that with eARC set to Off the TV passes DD+ to my Denon X4400H. With eARC set to Auto it only passes stereo.

After working with the first level support over the weekend I got a call yesterday from Sony support and the guy actually listened to all the troubleshooting steps I already have done and took it from there. He mainly confirmed my settings and the exact issue.

He said that there appears to be a widespread issue with eARC since the update that enabled it. He also said I could expect a call back in three days from someone in development who may want to connect to my TV for further testing.

If there is anything you can suggest for me to pass along let me know. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you tested it in game? How does it look to you? Screen shots to me at least don't seem to show the blur in game. I know there are a few here that think otherwise, while yes it would be a pain to have to go in between 60hz and 120Hz at desktop it would still be useable at this point.
And yes definitely want to hear what Sony has told Vincent about the issues.
Outer lines of objects look very distortet and blurred. I will try to take a photo later.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does changing the sharpness setting in advanced picture settings have any influence on the blur?
It can have a minor positive impact yes, but nothing close to getting you back to the original image, it's just a second layer of filter fighting against a first layer that shouldn't exist.

Downside as always with sharpness is you'll also increase haloing.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I opened a ticket with Sony regarding my 85X900H and the eARC issue. The issue I’m having (not sure if this is exactly the same as everyone else) is that with eARC set to Off the TV passes DD+ to my Denon X4400H. With eARC set to Auto it only passes stereo.

After working with the first level support over the weekend I got a call yesterday from Sony support and the guy actually listened to all the troubleshooting steps I already have done and took it from there. He mainly confirmed my settings and the exact issue.

He said that there appears to be a widespread issue with eARC since the update that enabled it. He also said I could expect a call back in three days from someone in development who may want to connect to my TV for further testing.

If there is anything you can suggest for me to pass along let me know. I’ll keep you posted.
When I first set up eARC on this TV, I got the same thing, stereo only. However, when I went in and did the set up where it plays the music demo asking if you have sound (I forget where in the menu this is, I find the menus confusing on this TV) once that's done, I got 5.1 and Atmos.

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP8000F, RP504C, RP500SA, RP600M, SMSL SU8, MD THXAAA789, SennHD6XX
229 Posts
Look at 'Picture Mode' in the picture settings, it will give choice of "Dolby Vision Dark or Light" when Dolby Vision is active.

View attachment 3050593
Hmm...gotta be something else I'm missing. Will try the other cables later tonight, currently it's connected to zeskit cables that I just received today. I've even tried playing the dolby chameleon video from the internal sony app, from shield over my network, and from shield stored on an ssd connected to the shield...When I play the video and select through the picture settings, dolby vision never shows up.

Will try the other cables I have when I get off work.

Oddness

Edit...same thing with another set of "we promise these are 48GB/s cables supportive 2.1".

Gotta be some silly thing I'm missing. I've even tried playing the 1080p dolby vision playback track in the chameleon video...but no luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Vincent tweeted this regarding the input latency in 4k120 mode. This seems to indicate the blurriness ISN'T being caused by post-processing (if it was, there would be an input latency hit).

Worried this might be inherent to the way the panel handles 120Hz refresh rate. Maybe this is just how it looks when you overdrive the panel that much.

I have another 30 days to decide whether to return, hopefully we get an answer from Sony before then.

8101 - 8120 of 16617 Posts