AVS Forum banner

8121 - 8140 of 16893 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Vincent tweeted this regarding the input latency in 4k120 mode. This seems to indicate the blurriness ISN'T being caused by post-processing (if it was, there would be an input latency hit).

Worried this might be inherent to the way the panel handles 120Hz refresh rate. Maybe this is just how it looks when you overdrive the panel that much.

I have another 30 days to decide whether to return, hopefully we get an answer from Sony before then.
I wouldn't worry too much over that particular piece of information. There are all sorts of post-processing techniques that have very minimal latency impact. The sharpness filter mentioned above, scaling 1080p/1440p to 4k (at least via the very computation light upscaling algorithms the tvs use), etc.

'Overdriving' the panel in this sense, just means you've increased the pixel clock rate to where it is capable of outputting the full ~8.3 mil pixels every 1/120s refresh cycle. If the tv is capable of that, (and thankfully it doesn't seem to have any issue with tv inherent stuttering at 120hz), then it is capable of that regardless of what is being displayed. What those pixels output, I can not see how it would matter to them, they are just assigned a color to display, blurred or not. And i would need to hear a very, VERY strong argument as to how displaying pixel perfect 1:1 the data that is sent over the cable, (and we know from the discussion about the problems with the hdmi 2.1 receivers that the 30 series cards are sending uncompressed data.. which also takes less computation) would not take the least processing of any possible output.

The only possibility for a hardware limitation imo, is if the tv is not actually doing a full progressive scan, but is interlacing because the pixel clock -can't- keep up with a progressive 120hz refresh.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
I have the X900H connected by HDMI cables to a Denon S960H AVR (not eARC) to support cable TV and a PS4 console. The computer rig for now is directly connected to the display.

For a month and a half or so, I've been listening to iPhone podcasts via Bluetooth sending the audio to my AVR, which switches to Airplay and the 5.1 audio speaker setup while using my computer on the display... no problem. It's been a couple of weeks that I last did that, and since then I've had to factory reset the AVR and I got the new patch for the HDTV. I may have tweaked a few X900H settings along the way (I'm not sure).

Today for the first time in awhile I've tried to listen to my iPhone's podcast on the setup while on the computer. If I send the audio to the AVR, the receiver auto switches to the PS4 console HDMI port which then switches my display video signal from computer to the receiver's Airplay screen. If I manually switch the display's input signal (not the receiver) back to the computer video signal, audio over the AVR stops working. When I switch the AVR from the PS4 signal to Bluetooth, again it switches the video signal from the computer to the AVR's Airplay static screen.

Maybe my question is this... how can I prevent my AVR from communicating to the HDTV? I want it to work like before, because I don't want the AVR to communicate to anything but my iPhone (for the audio via Bluetooth) and the 5.1 speakers for output. It shouldn't need to display video at all if it worked like before so I can manually bring up the computer screen on the HDTV.

EDIT:

I got the solution from my receiver's thread. The HDTV's setting (Bravia Sync) was already off, but CEC audio's auto switching was still on in the AVR. Once I clicked it off, it works as I want it to work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As long as all postprocessing is done only on the current frame and not even takes the whole frame into account (pixels only influence nearby pixels) I dont see a reason why this would have a noticeable impact on input lag.

After looking at the rtings image it looks indeed to be more of a blur than upscaling

·
Registered
77 Posts
if someone with an RTX 3080 can post photos of actual games running that show the bad blur at 4K-120 (vs 4K-60) - that would help I think.
Not home to post anything atm, but it wont be 'bad' in most all games. It'll be quite subtle on anything much larger than 100% dpi desktop text. But that's the whole purpose and difference between 1440p and 4k to start with isn't it, tiny details? Thus we must be exceptionally picky, heh.

·
Registered
706 Posts
This is a different panel than previous Sony TVs. The blurring is also present at 1080p120 on THIS Sony TV.
Is that true? First I've heard of this. It wasn't mentioned in the original Rtings review when they validated 1080p120.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are no settings that will help. You might have to get crafty with a special power bar that's activated by another device, a HomeKit smart outlet or similar. I'm waiting for my MediaLight MK2 to come in and the random backlighting doesn't concern me just yet. If it does, the smart outlet is probably the way I will go since it will have native iPhone support.
That's actually what I'm doing. In my case, the lights I got say they require a 1A outlet, and I didn't want to risk that 900mA would cause an issue. So, I got a z-wave outlet that I plugged them into. My isy994i has z-wave support and also is integrated with my harmony hub. So, it's set up that if the hub activity is "off" the bias lights are off, otherwise they are on. Before I had zwave support on my ISY, I use the Harmony z-wave hub and just made turning the LEDs on/off part of my activities.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is there a picture of the PQX 2021 doing 4K 120hz with 4:4:4 as rtings notes it also as "bad" just as a comparison using the same 3080 card?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is there a picture of the PQX 2021 doing 4K 120hz with 4:4:4 as rtings notes it also as "bad" just as a comparison using the same 3080 card?
Not sure, but based on the wording it doesn't -sound- like the same issue:

That said, there's a bug with the way that it works right now. To send a chroma 4:4:4 signal, you need to set both the PC and the TV's Color Space Range setting to 'RGB'. This is because setting the PC to chroma 4:4:4 and the TV to Full Color 4:4:4 looks bad and makes text more blurry. We'll retest it once a firmware update is available.

RGB vs YCbCr 4:4:4 makes no difference in the Sony blur. Sony blur isn't related to color space compression but it -sounds- like the PQX issue is.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I wish Vincent would just tell us what Sony said about the blurring issue already. It's getting annoying now. Just tweet it if you don't have time for the video.
Content creators live off clicks... why would he put out a moneyless tweet when he can make a YouTube video that generates revenue ? Especially for something a lot of people want answers to.

He made that 'Firmware might not be out until Spring' video with no actual information because it would generate a lot of views.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a gtx 1060 running 4k 4:2:0 8bit. It looks sharper to me after turning on pc input optimization in the pro settings. Anyone else try this?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Unaware of that setting but looked it up:

Related to aspect ratio scaling by their own definition. Not sure how that could have any impact on a native 4k signal, but who knows how accurate the setting description is. But feel free to post before/after pics.

·
Registered
59 Posts
does anybody that is able to get the new ATSC3 tuner working? I’m in Orlando and we do have a few stations using it, but I’m trying to figure out if it is active yet on the TV?

Reactions: HowieDoin

·
Registered
47 Posts
Content creators live off clicks... why would he put out a moneyless tweet when he can make a YouTube video that generates revenue ? Especially for something a lot of people want answers to.
You're right, but it's still annoying. They also live off their reputation and he's been teasing it.

8121 - 8140 of 16893 Posts