AVS Forum banner

8161 - 8180 of 16982 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ok so i tried 4K 60Hz vs 4K 120Hz in gaming with my 3080 and this is really, really weird...
I can clearly see a difference while playing as the 120Hz gameplay is noticably more blurry. You can 1000% see it ingame.
But when i take a screenshot with Geforce Experience, you cant see any difference in the pictures. 😵
I tried Mafia Definitive Edition where you can see the blur the most and i tried Forza 7. I even tried it after taking pictures to be sure and you can clearly see the blur but you dont see it in the screenshots. I dont get it.. 😫

I will post 2 pictures to proof but as i said. You cant see the blur in the screenshot only ingame...
i deliberatley choose this pic because it shows small text.

4K120Hz
View attachment 3050638

4K60Hz
View attachment 3050639
Obviously we need to see it on the screen as a photo. Internal screenshots don't mean anything to displays.

·
Registered
461 Posts
does anybody that is able to get the new ATSC3 tuner working? I’m in Orlando and we do have a few stations using it, but I’m trying to figure out if it is active yet on the TV?
Looks like you have 2 stations broadcasting ATSC 3.0 (Maybe both on same channel ? Only channel 16 listed.). Are you receiving it ?

I don't believe it is enabled yet in the 900H... but your not going to get a lot right now anyway. IF your lucky they will test a 4K channel in your area, but don't count on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't have hdmi 2.1 video card, but I'm running within hdmi 2.0.

4k120 8 bit 420 and same settings at 60hz.

CS:GO max settings no AA. First screenshot is 4k60 and second is 4k120. Take note of the white specks in the top left orange stripe. You can see the white spots are blurred and some are even missing.

I can only imagine 10 bit 444 would show even more differences and a more modern game with even more detail.

If this was the PS5 and you never saw how clearer the 4k60 image was and only saw the 4k120, you may not even notice how much clearer the image should be. This is especially true since consoles have some form of text correction.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
LD high doesn't always behave this way, especially when x-tend dynamic range set to high as well.
On bright scenes, such as sun rise scene, LD high improves the overall brightness but on dark scene, it dims the brightness.

Guardian of the galaxy 2 is my personal HDR reference disc and brightness is all over the places with high setting. (night scenes are too dim, day scenes can be burning bright)

No idea it's a bug or that's just how it works. LD medium on other hand, is very consistent.
Absolutely agree with LD on Medium as the best "average" setting. Both LD and XDR are APL driven, though, so their effect on each other varies as scene brightness increases or decreases.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No idea it's a bug or that's just how it works. LD medium on other hand, is very consistent.
I think it is a bug, and hopefully Sony will fix it.

RTings themselves noted this TV's local dimming definitely behaves differently from previous Sony TVs they’ve tested, including the other 2020 models.

·
Vendor
28,740 Posts
LG CX or C9..... I’m returning mine if they don’t get this fixed by the time my Xbox arrives......

this assumes that there is actually something wrong.... I haven’t seen any actual photos of gameplay..... too bad all the content creators I’ve seen are using lg’s to test the series x at 4k 120hz....
Thats the key right they, we have one devise outputting in HDMI 2.1 today which very few people have. We have to wait and see when these gaming systems are released to see what's up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I'm trying to compare some hdmi cables (recently received some zeskit cables) and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the sony tv to confirm it's receiving a dolby vision signal.

I'm playing through an nvidia shield connected directly to hdmi4. I have the external inputs set to enhanced mode, with the setting selected for dolby vision of course.

In the nvidia shield, display preferences, I normally have it set at the dolby vision 4k mode where it was 60hz or 59.940hz, and I've tried the 23.976 as well. Same thing, I'm not seeing dolby vision logoed on the tv.

The dolby vision chameleon video at Dolby Trailers – ATMOS, Lossless TrueHD 7.1, AC3 5.1 always looked a little funny to me in the box where dolby vision was selected, the colors always appeared really saturated. I just didn't worry about it, movies looked fine.

Since I'm scrutinizing video quality of cables, I wanted to confirm the tv was receiving a dolby vision signal. If I press the display button on the remote, I never see anything mentioning dolby vision. Just hdr10.

I also notice there's a sharp snapping sound coming out of my speakers whenever I stop playing the video, and the color of the chameleon changes briefly, whenever I'm exitting the video.

I'm really dubious about these zeskit cables right now, but I'm curious if there's a dolby vision related setting I'm missing?

I have the zeskit cables and have Dolby Vision content.

Do you have access to any of the following?
Netflix - Lost in Space
Amazon Prime - Jack Ryan
Disney + - Lion King

Start playing any of these and hit the gear button (settings) and it will show that the picture is Dolby Vision

·
Registered
558 Posts
Any chatter about Vincent's newest video?

Looks like we get Full/Standard Dolby Vision on the X900H now... will be interesting to see if that gives better PQ over low-latency DV...

·
Registered
857 Posts
welp, thats it - complete ****show at 120hz
bye bye Sony

whats worse is that they give the excuse of too much bandwidth/computing for 4K-120 - but Vincent confirms [email protected] and [email protected] also still have the same blur ..

its a shame since I genuinely liked this TV and didnt have any issues or bugs even post-update - but this is a deal killer, I specifically bought 900H to use with the RTX 3080 4K-120 4:4:4 HDR - preferring Sony over Samsung (also Samsung only has one HDMI 2.1 port and terrrible HDR Game Mode etc.)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

See 9:45 of the video.
WTF, so sony is not going to fix this?
"We prioritize smoothness"..... sounds like they downscale the resolution.... it's gonna have to go back if the xbox series x looks blurry like that.... I watched a video earlier by digital foundry of the xbox series x showing how the resolution dynamically changes to allow for up to 120hz.... however, never in the video did the image quality degrade so badly.....

Reactions: Orion888999
8161 - 8180 of 16982 Posts