AVS Forum banner

8201 - 8220 of 16984 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Funnily enough, i had the 65 inch version of this TV ordered on Amazon back when it was discounted before Prime Day, but right after ordering it, I decided to cancel the order, i guess it was a gut feeling or something. Either way looks like that was a good move with the recent developments. Now, i guess I'm back to looking for an alternative TV, i wonder if the LG Nano 90 would be a decent alternative at a similar price?
LG Nano is IPS panel = grey instead of black

·
Registered
25 Posts
Funnily enough, i had the 65 inch version of this TV ordered on Amazon back when it was discounted before Prime Day, but right after ordering it, I decided to cancel the order, i guess it was a gut feeling or something. Either way looks like that was a good move with the recent developments. Now, i guess I'm back to looking for an alternative TV, i wonder if the LG Nano 90 would be a decent alternative at a similar price?
LG nano is an IPS panel, it has horrible blacks, contrast ratio and local dimming compared to VA panels

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Samsung Q80t and Q90t had solid pq on display at best buy... but I can't get past them not supporting dolby vision....

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP8000F, RP504C, RP500SA, RP600M, SMSL SU8, MD THXAAA789, SennHD6XX
240 Posts
I have the zeskit cables and have Dolby Vision content.

Do you have access to any of the following?
Netflix - Lost in Space
Amazon Prime - Jack Ryan
Disney + - Lion King

Start playing any of these and hit the gear button (settings) and it will show that the picture is Dolby Vision
My reply and confusion is probably going to get buried with all the hubub about Vincent's recent video, but no luck there.

I don't have netflix or disney+ but I did load up the amazon prime app. I tried in both the shield and the tv's app.

I don't know what it is...as I mentioned earlier, the source I was originally trying to confirm this was dolby's very own dolby vision chameleon video from their site...but it's not triggering for me. I am not seeing dolby vision pop up in the picture settings like the other person sent a picture of previously. (I'm on the october firmware update of the tv of course)

I have no idea.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Myron_H, post: 60197506, member: 8116830"]
I'd need to see a picture of what you see. I watch both 1080p and 4k content and there is no edge enhancement that I notice. Under the Clarity menu, there is Reality Creation, which is the upscaling option. I have mine on Auto, which works well.
[/QUOTE]
Curious: If reality creation (the upscaling option) is turned off, what is performing the upscaling of 1080 to the 4k screen? I am watching ota and amazon from the internal application.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What Sony should do is introduce another "enhanced HDMI" mode.

The tv is capable of doing 4k120, but Sony is prioritizing input lag so they are nerfing the 4k.

There should be another mode that gives full 4k120, but increased input lag.

This will allow users to decide if they want full graphics with increased input lag or reduced graphics with faster input lag. Depending on the game, we can choose what we want.

And sony can continue advertising this tv as 4k120.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I picked the 65" up as a secondary TV, and it is now 5 days past the return period with Best Buy, so I am going to have to fight to return it, or barring that, sell it or throw it out. Unbelievable that Sony thinks this is acceptable, because to me it feels like a bait and switch.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
This thread is a goldmine of information, but it's a little hard to navigate and find what I need. I resort to things like X900H - Google Search"click"+site%3Awww.avsforum.com to help me get information, which is useful, but a bit hit-or-miss. So I have two questions...
1. Does anyone have other recommendations for dredging good information out of this thread?
2. Has someone by any chance put together a popular list of "known issues" with up-to-date status, affected firmware versions, workarounds, etc.?
Get the Tapatalk app and it’s really easy to search the thread using that app. IMO, its just easier for navigating AVS overall as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm past the costco return policy.

But this is false advertising. Instead of 4k120 this is "less than 4k" 120.
I think you would lose that battle in a courtroom since it does display a 4K/120Hz signal. But Costco is pretty liberal and might make an exception for you. Would make a better case for not having 4 HDMI 2.1 ports that Costco advertised.

Anyway, not on this outrage train yet. Will be interesting to see what the reality is on PS5 when it comes out and how noticeable it will really be for gaming. (Have no intention of using as a computer monitor.)

If Sony really did make a choice to go for 'Smoothness' over clarity, then it is possible they could reprogram for clarity. Unless there really is a limitation in the set. But there will be future firmware updates that could bring improvements (or more issues)>

Still enjoying my set. Will watch to see how it plays out.

8201 - 8220 of 16984 Posts