AVS Forum banner

12081 - 12100 of 16617 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
The key attribute of HDMI 2.1 support is Enhanced mode with 4K120p with full bandwidth 48Gbps support for uncompressed audio formats. Enhanced DV was added as a separate mode because it won't work at that framerate and Sony also added standard TV-led Dolby Vision capability.
HDMI 2.1 is useless if the image is processed. Those 48Gbps are used to transfer a 4k signal full RGB 12bit @120Hz and to preserve the image quality and at the moment the image is with "blur"/resolution downscale, so the image is not 1:1 like on the input.
Enhanced DV should work in [email protected] at full 48Gbps, but I think there are other limitations like VRR, ALLM, the processing power of the CPU and the "blur"/resolution downscale.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah to be fair Sony could have probably tuned the set for better highlight detail but for whatever reason on this model they've opted for better "average picture level" over better highlight detail as mentioned in both the rtings and HDTV test reviews. The result is an image which looks pretty much just like a brighter SDR image. It's a bit of a bummer for me personally. I should have paid more attention to that information before I purchased it. The Q80T definitely seems like the better buy for HDR content and also has smooth gradation which I didn't realise I'd be so desperate for.
Are you within your return period ? You are not very happy with the 900H it seems.
The Q80T is more $$'s, at least here in the States.
Visit the forums for other models/brands, they all have their issues. There is no magic TV.. Just have to find the one that checks most of your wants and can live with the problems it has.

Reactions: Magiclakez

·
Registered
15 Posts
we as i suspect others are having the same issue. only difference with your setup vs mine is that you have a sound bar that your TV's eARC is plugged into and I am using an AVR. prior to upgrading, my issue was not dropouts but the audio was not in sync with the video. To me that was much more annoying. Once i installed the update that enabled the 2.1 120 and eARC, the audio/video sync was fixed but then the cutouts began. Its possible the cable i have running from my eARC HDMI 3 port to my AVRs ARC port is not up to the task. since its on the return leg (from TV to AVR) you'd think any HDMI cable capable of supporting Dolby Atmos would suffice, but i am going to try a certified high speed cable just in case. I ordered one on Amazon but it wont be here until Wednesday. I fear it wont help though and this will require another update from Sony to resolve. If that is the case, then hopefully it wont be long as I thought I read they have another update coming in December.
The weirdest part with my issue is my PS5 works fine and I have 2 Xbox series X and they both have the same millisecond audio cutout issue. And I’ve tried the same HDMI with Xbox and PS5

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I posted this elsewhere then I found this thread. My 900H 85" comes in two weeks. I want to get my mount up. Does anybody have the locations/measurements of the mounting holes on the back of the tv? Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
HDMI 2.1 is useless if the image is processed. Those 48Gbps are used to transfer a 4k signal full RGB 12bit @120Hz and to preserve the image quality and at the moment the image is with "blur"/resolution downscale, so the image is not 1:1 like on the input.
Enhanced DV should work in [email protected] at full 48Gbps, but I think there are other limitations like VRR, ALLM, the processing power of the CPU and the "blur"/resolution downscale.
I was helping member FinacalFox with his desire to add a PS5 at a later date and his need to understand whether his HDMI ports 3 and 4 were, in fact, HDMI 2.1 capable. I have no intent to address imaging issues or explain why Sony has imposed limits with DV capability on these ports.....at this time it is what it is.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I posted this elsewhere then I found this thread. My 900H 85" comes in two weeks. I want to get my mount up. Does anybody have the locations/measurements of the mounting holes on the back of the tv? Thanks
This is really a good concern. The mounting holes are on the lower 1/2 to1/3 of set. In order to center your set you will need to move any existing mount down at least 3-4 inches. We had the x90H in 75 and thought the 85 would still be close, but it sat on the same mount way too high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the PS4 is going into the TV then you need the audio out of the TV into the receiver via HDMI or optical.
Thanks. I currently have all my other items (Firestick, Chromecast, etc.) plugged into the receiver. The receiver is then plugged into the HDMI ARC input in the tv. Is it necessary for the firestick to be plugged directly into the tv to get 4k on it as well?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Reactions: Cheddarhead

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks. I currently have all my other items (Firestick, Chromecast, etc.) plugged into the receiver. The receiver is then plugged into the HDMI ARC input in the tv. Is it necessary for the firestick to be plugged directly into the tv to get 4k on it as well?
Does your receiver pass 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision ?
If it does then can plug into it, if not we have to bypass if you want all those formats.

Assume if PS4 didn't work, then firestick won't either.

Although haven't even used firestick since getting TV, internal apps have worked fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The bottom holes are 6" from the bottom of the TV and the top are roughly in the middle.

I use a Kanto FMX3 and it's amazing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi at all, is there actually an update about the blur which still exists in 4k120hz mode? Didn't found anything, is somebody in contact with Sony and heard anything? My retailer in Germany contacted Sony about it, but it takes serious time to an answer of them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you within your return period ? You are not very happy with the 900H it seems.
The Q80T is more $$'s, at least here in the States.
Visit the forums for other models/brands, they all have their issues. There is no magic TV.. Just have to find the one that checks most of your wants and can live with the problems it has.
Sorry if I'm coming across as negative in my posts. I still have mixed feelings about it as I honestly expected more for the price but that's not to say it's a bad TV. I'm sure it'll grow on me eventually though. I have high hopes for the improvements Sony will bring over the next few months with firmware updates. 🙂

The Q80T is the same price as the Sony here in the UK and I was considering an exchange but the cost of doing that after returns and courier costs will be almost a 3rd of the price I paid for the TV so its not worth it. On the plus side the retailer did offer me a £40 discount if I did decide to keep the TV which is cool.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One thing I can say is that compared to a 1000 nit Hisense and an LG C9 OLED the HDR performance on the X900H isn't remotely as good. There's no "pop" to the highlights in HDR. It's like everything is being displayed at same brightness level if that makes sense.

But that's just me.
Yeah it's just you. The 900H does HDR very nicely. If I have to squint or blink because an explosion or flash was super bright, then I don't think there's a lack of "pop".

·
Registered
752 Posts
3. with xbox series X you def want the newest update, so go to Sony US site and manually download/install it. its pretty straightforward and easy to do with the directions provided.

1. use this guys video for initial picture setup.

and this guy's channel for all the other technical stuff and more related to this model TV.

2. I don't have much to say on the motion flow bug as i have my settings all disabled per the setup I did.
I wonder if that guy knows how popular his video has become around here.:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah it's just you. The 900H does HDR very nicely. If I have to squint or blink because an explosion or flash was super bright, then I don't think there's a lack of "pop".
While I agree the TV gets squintingly bright for a mostly bright scene.. there is a different factor of brightness for HDR that the TV can show bright 'highlights' in a dark/normal scene. More of a range of dark to light in the same scene that people seem to think is lacking.

But I'm not one of them either.. Seems good to me.

Reactions: Aggie PT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does your receiver pass 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision ?
If it does then can plug into it, if not we have to bypass if you want all those formats.

Assume if PS4 didn't work, then firestick won't either.

Although haven't even used firestick since getting TV, internal apps have worked fine.
I believe the receiver passes 4k, HDR as it shows it on the sticker on the front. The model # is Sony STR-DN1080 of that helps. We watched Netflix off the Firestick last night and it seemed to be better quality than my previous tv (not sure if it was 4k though).

·
Registered
446 Posts
I believe the receiver passes 4k, HDR as it shows it on the sticker on the front. The model # is Sony STR-DN1080 of that helps. We watched Netflix off the Firestick last night and it seemed to be better quality than my previous tv (not sure if it was 4k though).
Hmm.. Quick glance says your receiver should pass the formats and it should work with your PS4 Pro, but there are settings have to check.
I don't have the Pro, so not sure what settings have to change.
And verify have good cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey everybody. first time poster long time lurker in this sub.

I absolutely love the 65x900h, it's such a stunner of a tv.

with that being said, I'm trying to ensure I'm watching UHD movies in the best format there is.

I have a ps5, and was wondering if the TV automatically outputs in 2160/24fps/24p? unfortunately there are no settings on the ps5 to allow it like the old ps4 did "blu-ray output to 1080/24hz"

I'm able to recreate the 1080/24hz while watching a standard blu-ray but cannot seem to figure out if it does the same with a UHD disk.

thanks for all your help in advance!

12081 - 12100 of 16617 Posts