AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 4271 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have no idea, but I only use 2 tower speakers in stereo.

And a downgraded image processor (according to Sony's own nomenclature).

Your recommendation costs $700-1700 more, and have 3x worse contrast ratio!

Future proofing is great and all, but in your case if you're >100 miles from the targeted cities, I don't see how spending $500 extra could be worth it. Plus, 5 years from now, any ATSC 3.0 tuner you could buy will probably be better than the one integrated in the 900H; the first gen is never the best, and it might be missing features that come out over time.

My 900e has the same “downgraded” X1 image processor and the upscaling is excellent and the contrast is rated higher than the 900f which supposedly has a higher level processor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Isn't anyone talking about this? I did a search for "Vincent" and "Hdtvtest" but found nothing. I'm really surprised. It was watching this after CES that I knew that the 900H would most likely be my next tv. I feel like I've been waiting a long time to upgrade to a 75". I can't wait for the reviews, especially Vincents.

"We were given a demonstration of the new Sony XH95 vs the XH90 at CES 2020, and even though the XH90 is supposed to be the step-down model, it can be firmware-updated to support ATSC 3.0 and [email protected], suggesting that it has the most advanced SoC (system-on-chip) among Sony's 2020 TVs unveiled to date."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-svXRvTOc
Not his best work. I believe RTings reviewed the 800H and found it ok but not great. Not sure anyone's saying they're big upgrades from previous year's model.

I'm waiting to see what the best 75" and 85" are, but the reviews are slow and spotty so far. Just have to be patient.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There was a review of the X950H I saw the other day and I wasn't too impressed with the HDR performance. I was left disappointed when I heard it only a had a peak brightness that barely broke 1000nits, with real world brightness at around 800/900nits. That left me worried about what the X900H was going to be like, even with it's more advanced SoC.

Thought this year they would have really improved over previous models, enough to see HDR1400 become a standard. 😞

·
Registered
660 Posts
Isn't anyone talking about this? I did a search for "Vincent" and "Hdtvtest" but found nothing. I'm really surprised. It was watching this after CES that I knew that the 900H would most likely be my next tv. I feel like I've been waiting a long time to upgrade to a 75". I can't wait for the reviews, especially Vincents.

"We were given a demonstration of the new Sony XH95 vs the XH90 at CES 2020, and even though the XH90 is supposed to be the step-down model, it can be firmware-updated to support ATSC 3.0 and [email protected], suggesting that it has the most advanced SoC (system-on-chip) among Sony's 2020 TVs unveiled to date."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-svXRvTOc
talking about what ?
I already decided to buy 65" 900H, just waiting for availability

but lot of non-gamers dont really care about HDMI 2.1

·
Registered
660 Posts
Do you think it will be gsync compatible?
they stated 900H will have HDMI-VRR, which is far as i know is what the RTX cards have for LG OLEDs now .. so it may work with RTX now

but the upcoming Nvidia HDMI 2.1 GPUs will definitely have that same HDMI-VRR (standard VRR of the HDMI 2.1 spec) anyway

·
Registered
5 Posts
sheshechic said:
No problems with my 2017 Denon AVR-X1300W and the 900F.
This was my first time ever using ARC, so I might not have done it correctly. I had my STB sending HDMI to my receiver, receiver HDMI to the X900F HDMI3, and receiver set to use AV4. This should work based on diagrams I've seen online. But I've also seen people run all sources into each TV HDMI input, and then connect a dedicated HDMI cable from the TV to receiver just for the ARC; is that what you do?

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
People on YouTube chattering about how 2.1 won’t be added until December. Doesn’t it have the port already? Isn’t the VRR the only thing they need to update? What are these folks going on about?

·
Registered
660 Posts
People on YouTube chattering about how 2.1 won’t be added until December. Doesn’t it have the port already? Isn’t the VRR the only thing they need to update? What are these folks going on about?
the port is there but it still needs a fw update for 4K-120
how would they know about December though ?

although I dont expect any new GPUs or next-gen consoles to come out until Fall anyway, so .. December wouldnt even that bad tbh, cause until those come out - you cant make use of 48 gbps anyway

now HDMI VRR is something you potentially can make use of already, if you have RTX GPU ... they should implement that ASAP

·
Registered
151 Posts
"Later Update" always leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Remember that all this advertised Features can be put in via HDMI 2.0 and a 18Gbps Port just like the Samsung Q90R did last year.

·
Banned
308 Posts
The X950G, X950H, and X900H all have HDMI 2.1 mainboards in the TVs. Sony has crippled all of these TVs at the firmware level. People need to be aware of this, and call Sony out on their lies. I have the service repair manuals for every Sony TV since 2014, which includes the schematics for all of the internal parts.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
This was my first time ever using ARC, so I might not have done it correctly. I had my STB sending HDMI to my receiver, receiver HDMI to the X900F HDMI3, and receiver set to use AV4. This should work based on diagrams I've seen online. But I've also seen people run all sources into each TV HDMI input, and then connect a dedicated HDMI cable from the TV to receiver just for the ARC; is that what you do?
How old is your receiver and have you been able to use ARC with it on a different tv before?
Be certain that the port you're connecting to is an ARC port- on both the tv and the receiver. Check the hdmi settings in the tv to be sure that it's "on". Also, check the settings in your receiver for hdmi control too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote me if im wrong but other than the installed hardware you also need a compatible and powerful processor. We talk about only 1 supported port on the X900H which features are added later. Also it could be a licensing problem.

121 - 140 of 4271 Posts