AVS Forum banner

16061 - 16080 of 16542 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
What Class Action Lawsuit ? It was all just people running their mouths and over reacting. None of it was real.

The clarifications have been issued, this narrative needs to stop.

Some people just want to be mad about something.
Hmm.

4k120 blur is still not fixed with no indication it will get fixed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did i say the x900h needs a dual chip? The x950 does have a WIDER color gamut than the x900h and even provided the Rtings comparison. That's now misinformation? You might want to tell Rtings then.
I don't know much about the wider color part, but you did say the 900 is "missing features" like dual chip processing. This makes it sound like the 950 has better processing than the 900 because it has two chips. The other person is arguing that the 900's chip is more powerful, therefore not NEEDING the second chip, meaning it's not a "feature" of the 950 that we're missing out on. If that is true (I have no idea, honestly), then they would be correct in that part of the argument of misinformation.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Is anyone that’s using an AVR with the tv having it show up twice in the inputs list? Thinking this might have something to do with it constantly switching to my blu ray player input on my receiver.

View attachment 3078094
I have all my devices plugged as inputs into my AVR and only a single HDMI between the TV and AVR (essentially making the TV an input/output but with no speaker or sound out from TV). I named that input Roku/eArc so it shows up as that on input 3 regardless of the fact that all my devices come through eArc on HDMI 3. Just seems to be an old UI mess.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I got over my buyer's remorse back in my hardcore PC gaming days. There's already a better/faster/cheaper version of what you want coming out soon so just take what's the best you can afford now and go with it.

Plus, not only am I happy with the TV as a whole, but I feel like I lucked out pretty well as I mentioned before. Very good panel uniformity (only notice DSE when I run DSE stress tests), no light bleeding, no banding except on some sub-1080p sources, only a tiny dark spot in the upper left corner, no audio dropout or Arc issues with my Samsung soundbar, no major firmware or wifi issues. If I returned it now and went for a 2021 model, I might get a much better picture for only a little bit more money, or I might be rolling the dice and coming up short on any of those things. I'm not going to say "hit me" on a blackjack game where I got 18 because I "might" get 21. :)
I got over my buyer's remorse back in my hardcore PC gaming days. There's already a better/faster/cheaper version of what you want coming out soon so just take what's the best you can afford now and go with it.

Plus, not only am I happy with the TV as a whole, but I feel like I lucked out pretty well as I mentioned before. Very good panel uniformity (only notice DSE when I run DSE stress tests), no light bleeding, no banding except on some sub-1080p sources, only a tiny dark spot in the upper left corner, no audio dropout or Arc issues with my Samsung soundbar, no major firmware or wifi issues. If I returned it now and went for a 2021 model, I might get a much better picture for only a little bit more money, or I might be rolling the dice and coming up short on any of those things. I'm not going to say "hit me" on a blackjack game where I got 18 because I "might" get 21. :)
Agree. I also have this approach with most tech - when I buy almost any hardware, I consider what I get at the time as all I realistically can expect. Updates, enhancements, and other “promises” are just extras if they come. I know many don’t think that way, but it keeps me from buying and waiting and disappointment. If I’m going to wait, I’ll wait before buying. That way it’s never my risk.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah it is very shady.

It wasn't just the website. But lower level support staff telling people that it wasn't coming, probably reading from a crib sheet from supervisors. If it was a mistake, it would've been found/corrected after the army called in to inquire. But nope, some staff still stuck to the message that it wasn't coming.

Maybe they are already preparing to take the L on the tv with upcoming class action lawsuit and instead focusing on 2021 models first, and the VRR update for 2020 was put "on hold" so they removed it with the intention to work on it after 2021 models were updated.
Stop
Beating
The
Dead
Horse

·
Vendor
28,637 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are probably problems with the mt5895 SoC in connection with the XH90's own image algorithm. As I understood it, an attempt is also made to simply pass through the 4k / 120hz image so that the problems of the blurred image no longer exist. But then there are probably other problems (with HDR ...) The hardware itself does not seem to be the problem, so no bandwidth problem either.

It's more a problem that Sony uses its own code instead code from the mt5895. There is a TV from Xiaomi with same SoC and no problems with 4k/120

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did i say the x900h needs a dual chip? The x950 does have a WIDER color gamut than the x900h and even provided the Rtings comparison. That's now misinformation? You might want to tell Rtings then.
Yes, wider color gamut is correct. My bad.
I don't know much about the wider color part, but you did say the 900 is "missing features" like dual chip processing. This makes it sound like the 950 has better processing than the 900 because it has two chips. The other person is arguing that the 900's chip is more powerful, therefore not NEEDING the second chip, meaning it's not a "feature" of the 950 that we're missing out on. If that is true (I have no idea, honestly), then they would be correct in that part of the argument of misinformation.
Exactly. If the MT5895 is powering the next gen of Sony TV's including a model (x95J) higher than this one, it's safe to assume we're not missing out on anything due to power, but due to the software being purposely limited.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm happy Sony have finally addressed the issue. But it does make you wonder why they removed it in the first place.
I'll give you MY guess. That is the SUPPORT matrix, and support doesn't offer support on features not yet released. I think its function was to pause those calls until the feature existed. Our (yeah, me too) misreading it as what is to later come backfired on them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm not arguing whether 4K/120 will be fixed, I'm just doing my homework

Out of curiosity, I called BB corporate (because none of my local stores aren't picking up the phones, an hour and 4 calls later). I was transferred to a Geek Squad rep as I categorized my inquiry as "extended warranty related". After explaining what Sony's silence regarding "blurry 4K/120", I asked what my recourse would be should Sony not be able to correct it. In her own way of repeating herself so I can "get the hint", she said Geek Squad would have to come out to attempt to "repair the issue". I asked her "what if the issue isn't repairable, because it's a manufacturer's flaw", to which her response was, "Geek Squad would have to attempt to repair the issue three times, and if they cannot, you are entitled to a replacement."

Quite obvious and understandable that BB doesn't not want to be responsible/liable for manufacturer shortcomings, but I'll be visiting a couple of store managers this weekend to personally get a better vision of potential outcomes. I am having a blast with my set so far, but at the end of the day, I'm still a consumer and like to know my options in the long run.

Reactions: desiwood

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So my tv is in. Everybody keeps talking about updates. How do you get them?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
So my tv is in. Everybody keeps talking about updates. How do you get them?
Via the on-screen menu (if your TV is connected to the internet) or via USB thumb drive and the file is on the Sony support site.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does anyone know if the Sony is going to get the update to Google tv from Android tv? I know the new models are but I keep seeing mention that older Android TV's will be upgraded as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are probably problems with the mt5895 SoC in connection with the XH90's own image algorithm. As I understood it, an attempt is also made to simply pass through the 4k / 120hz image so that the problems of the blurred image no longer exist. But then there are probably other problems (with HDR ...) The hardware itself does not seem to be the problem, so no bandwidth problem either.

It's more a problem that Sony uses its own code instead code from the mt5895. There is a TV from Xiaomi with same SoC and no problems with 4k/120
Really encouraging, thx for that kind of info

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is anyone that’s using an AVR with the tv having it show up twice in the inputs list? Thinking this might have something to do with it constantly switching to my blu ray player input on my receiver.

View attachment 3078094
this is just BraviaSync listing your CEC compatible devices i'm pretty sure. I have it too for each device that has a name. then the HDMI 3 input generically.

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP8000F, RP504C, RP500SA, RP600M, SMSL SU8, MD THXAAA789, SennHD6XX
226 Posts
this is just BraviaSync listing your CEC compatible devices i'm pretty sure. I have it too for each device that has a name. then the HDMI 3 input generically.
True.
I have cec turned OFF on my ps5, and it doesn't show up in that menu. I have it turned on for my avr and shield, and they both show up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a common issue with Bravia TV's and 9 times out of 10 it comes down to CEC, Bravia Sync, Power Saving or something similar misbehaving with something else you are plugging into it. See if any of these options work for you. (Also, sometimes it has to do with something you plugged in misbehaving with it, so your first option would be to see your inputs and if you can turn off CEC or something that is supposed to turn the TV on when you turn the device on and turn that off, before moving on below.)

This is me. I don't really get bothered by motion blur so I leave Clearness off. I put Smoothness on 1 and the Cinema Mode on Auto. I feel like Smoothness on 2 completely removes any judder or shaking from slow pans but gives you that really fake movement look. 1 removes the majority of it and you only have a bit of that fake soap opera on 4K content and it's still not that bad, so it's the best compromise for me. Frame Rate Matching on my Apple 4K always causes lip sync issues so the smoothness is necessary to tackle some of the judder.
Hmm wonder if it’s my bias lighting kit? I have a 900e in the living room and have never had an issue with it so this just struck me as odd. Aside from a little dse which i can live with its a great set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16061 - 16080 of 16542 Posts