AVS Forum banner

19461 - 19480 of 20200 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes please let me know. What's your take on the lack of Dolby Vision? I was actually close to pulling the trigger on the Samsung TU8500 but the no 4k/120hz support took me off it.

I've not owned a Sony for a long time but I've always been a Sony fan so will be disappointed if I have to return this TV but likely will do if our favourite topic vignetting is too much of an issue.
I want to give people honest advice. If you want a great hdr experience, you need a brighter tv than the ru9000. I'd say the same thing about many oleds. You need a qled or sony x900 ect For me, I Hate hdr so I could careless about dolby vision or hdr10 performance. I find hdr too bright and I simply don't like it. It hurts my eyes. That's a personal opinion. So for me, I think the ru9000 will work great.

As far as hmdi 2.1 and vrr in my opinion, unless you're a competitive PC gamer, it's mostly just hype and totally unneeded. The x900 you have doesn't even support vrr even though it was supposed to. They are just trying to give people a reason to upgrade for the new consoles. They are still filming movies in 24fps and steaming at 60fps. They should be filming at 60fps, but they're stuck in the past. Just be sure you ACTUALLY have a unique case situation that requires hdmi 2.1 Gaming on next gen consoles is not one of them. 4k/120fps aint happening on new release titles(remasters maybe). It would be a total waste of console horsepower. Better to up detail level.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How do you find the reflections on the OLED?

Would it not take extremely repetitive content for burn in to occur? I.e you maybe shouldn't worry so much.
Go visit the a90j oled forum. 3-4k for a tv with major uniformity issues. If you're worried about uniformity check out the grayscale pics. lol You're in a panel lottery. You can get a descent one, but it's luck of the draw and they are very expensive. Even a reviewer b in the installer had to return his due to DSE

Oled burn is a real issue and a risk when static content is on screen. It's cumulative. These tvs are not built to last 10+ years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I want to give people honest advice. If you want a great hdr experience, you need a brighter tv than the ru9000. I'd say the same thing about many oleds. You need a qled or sony x900 ect For me, I Hate hdr so I could careless about dolby vision or hdr10 performance. I find hdr too bright and I simply don't like it. It hurts my eyes. That's a personal opinion. So for me, I think the ru9000 will work great.

As far as hmdi 2.1 in my opinion, unless you're a competitive PC gamer, it's mostly just hype and totally unneeded. They are just trying to give people a reason to upgrade for the new consoles. They are still filming movies in 24fps and steaming at 60fps. They should be filming at 60fps, but they're stuck in the past. Just be sure you ACTUALLY have a unique case situation that requires hdmi 2.1 Gaming on next gen consoles is not one of them. 4k/120fps aint happening on new release titles. It would be a total waste of console horsepower. Better to up detail level.
Seems every TV has a drawbacks.

I think the only games that actually have 4k/120hz on the PS5 are Call of Duty and Fortnite. I come and go with Call of Duty and might play the odd game of Fortnite to kill some time. Used to be hardcore on Call of Duty but not so much anymore but I could see me picking that up again at some point. In terms of new releases I have noticed the majority are 4k/60hz like you say. I think it's more to do with future proofing if in the next year or two it becomes more of a standard.

In terms of HDR I've only seen some videos with HDR10+ and the colours did seem to pop a bit more on DV plus reading DV has far more potential. I could see myself buying some 4k blu rays so I think DV would be important. Although the bloody PS5 doesn't support it so there is that! It's a minefield out here lol.

It's crazy in this day and age that there is so many issues across the board. Maybe it's always been like this but you would think technology would have advanced enough for certain issues.

Like you say though manufacturers seem to be downgrading their TVs each year.

·
Registered
113 Posts

As far as hmdi 2.1 and vrr in my opinion, unless you're a competitive PC gamer, it's mostly just hype and totally unneeded. The x900 you have doesn't even support vrr even though it was supposed to. They are just trying to give people a reason to upgrade for the new consoles. They are still filming movies in 24fps and steaming at 60fps. They should be filming at 60fps, but they're stuck in the past. Just be sure you ACTUALLY have a unique case situation that requires hdmi 2.1 Gaming on next gen consoles is not one of them. 4k/120fps aint happening on new release titles(remasters maybe). It would be a total waste of console horsepower. Better to up detail level.
I think you're one of the first people I've seen say they hate HDR. That's totally fine of course, to each their own. But personally, I think its the main reason to get a 4k tv and is fantastic. I can understand the eye strain though. I struggled with that before getting some bias lighting. If you're still interested in giving HDR a try, I highly recommend installing some bias lighting, even just a cheap kit. I bought one for $30 (luminoodle) off amazon. Its a string of LEDs that attaches via a 3m adhesive to the back of the tv. Its made a remarkable difference for eye strain

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
The way to figure out if it is only the GUI that the Viewport is reporting or if it is the actual TV not reporting full 4k to the apps is for someone with an Nvidia Shield or other streaming device that can look at Stats for Nerds on that with it connected to the Sony and then connect it to a 4k monitor. It should act the same way as the native apps on the TV should it not?
Done that a while back. Like I said above, almost all Android TV devices report 1080p view port. That includes nVidia Shield 2019 I owned and Google's own CCwGTV.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
I talked to Sony tech support and the guy didn't know anything. I asked him what the noise is exactly and all he said was its a noise that happens when you press the power button.
Well tech support is usually pretty useless for technical questions despite 'tech' in their name. But did you really think it was an issue that required tech support ?

I'm an electronic technician... deal with hundreds of pieces of equipment that 'click' when powered on or off. Power relays are very common in electronic equipment when need to use a low voltage (5-24 volts) to apply a higher voltage 120+ volts. Relays are also used to activate switches, fans, lights, etc. Yes, it is possible to use solid state devices to apply power that are not mechanical so don't 'click', but relays are generally the cheaper and simpler way to do these things.

So again, it's a normal sound...nothing to worry about.

Reactions: dlbsyst

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, I returned a 900 series because of the dark corners(vingetting) about 2 weeks ago. I did not order another one since it's so common I'd likely get one with the same problem. Ridiculous to have that screen uniformity issue as this price range. Just another example of tv quality going backwards and companies getting lazy and just relying on brand loyalty.

Just because something is considered "normal" by a company doesn't mean it's not a problem.
Normal by the technology. All fald tvs have some degree. On my 55" set its so minimal I don't notice it regularly.

·
Registered
49 Posts

So the opposite regarding vrr and this generation of consoles/pc is true. vrr is especially a big upgrade to assist games that have framerates that don't reach a steady 4k120hz. Vrr makes it so bouncing framerates are not as noticeable as it changes the screen refresh rate to match the frames per second that the console or pc is outputting.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So the opposite regarding vrr and this generation of consoles/pc is true. vrr is especially a big upgrade to assist games that have framerates that don't reach a steady 4k120hz. Vrr makes it so bouncing framerates are not as noticeable as it changes the screen refresh rate to match the frames per second that the console or pc is outputting.
These games are going to get locked at 4k 60fps max FOR CONSOLE or we are not going to see much of a graphical improvement this generation.

This is blasphemy, but the goal should be 1080p/60fps, never mind 4k/120. The detail level would be amazing with this next gen hardware at 1080p. Instead they're wasting all that gpu memory bandwidth on 4k resolution which isn't that big a difference gaming at say 8-10 feet on a 55/65 inch like you typically would with a console. You get very little bang for you buck with 4k gaming. It's like running a game on ultra setting at 1080 with ray tracing ect vs running that same game on ultra ultra low setting with 4k. Developers will simply get lazy and not increase textures and simply take an old game and remaster it to 4k. This isn't truly a remaster. It's a joke.

What a waste of the hardware trying to output 4k. 4k is a marketing buzzword. You'll get WAY better looking games at 1080p everything else being equal.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Where did you get a LG C1, all the Best Buys and other local retailer said LG haven't released them yet.

Edit ... I see them on line on the Best Buy (Magnolia) site now.
Yeah I got the C1 at Best Buy. It looks like they only just arrived in stores yesterday in my area. A couple days before the only pickup location was a Best Buy Warehouse several hours from where I am.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
No. Still waiting to see if can be resolved with firmware.

Don't expect any discounts or free TV's over the issue.

Supposedly it is fixed on the new models, but no end users with them yet to verify.
YA, probly have to wait for Rtings to get a hold of one of the new ones :)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
As related to viewport size I used below test pattern to check actual size:

It turned out that native YouTube app is not able to properly resolve 1 px chess pattern. Pattern with 2 px chess was properly resolved. What's interesting horizontal and vertical 1 px lines were resolved correctly.

Not sure what to think about it. Does it mean that we are indeed dealing with 1080p (instead of 4K) resolution as viewport information in stats for nerds suggests?

I've done similar test with my PC connected through HDMI. In [email protected] tv was able to properly resolve 1 px chess pattern , while in [email protected] i could see only gray stain, instead individual black and white pixels.
because no one reported anything else that would mean this TV build in OS runs in 1080p so is limited to 1080 resolution.

the 120 HZ issue may not be the biggest issue on this TV...
i will try local media playback from USB stick with such a test pattern.

edit:
local media playback is full resolution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I m or I can say I was happy owner of this TV until I noticed dark line in the left top corner of the TV. I m 100% sure that was not there when I bought it. I m using it for around 6 months and I was very happy from the quality of the picture and performance. Unfortunately I notice the problem last week and now I can't unsee this while watching any content. I didn't try to do factory reset yet but I don't have my hopes high that it will help. Does anyone had a similar problem with this TV any is there something that could help?
Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
As related to viewport size I used below test pattern to check actual size:

It turned out that native YouTube app is not able to properly resolve 1 px chess pattern. Pattern with 2 px chess was properly resolved. What's interesting horizontal and vertical 1 px lines were resolved correctly.

Not sure what to think about it. Does it mean that we are indeed dealing with 1080p (instead of 4K) resolution as viewport information in stats for nerds suggests?

I've done similar test with my PC connected through HDMI. In [email protected] tv was able to properly resolve 1 px chess pattern , while in [email protected] i could see only gray stain, instead individual black and white pixels.
Useful video, 1px chess pattern looks the same on my PC and the app.
Though playing with my settings with video on pause I noticed that High local dimming in game mode makes the centre circle in contrast disappear.
Doesn't happen in any other mode I tried (all other settings the same). Think I'll use Graphics mode from now on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi. I m or I can say I was happy owner of this TV until I noticed dark line in the left top corner of the TV. I m 100% sure that was not there when I bought it. I m using it for around 6 months and I was very happy from the quality of the picture and performance. Unfortunately I notice the problem last week and now I can't unsee this while watching any content. I didn't try to do factory reset yet but I don't have my hopes high that it will help. Does anyone had a similar problem with this TV any is there something that could help?
Thanks
Nothing can help. It's common. You also have darkness in the right upper corner as well clearly from that picture. The only corner that is barely noticeable is your bottom left.
That's just part of the dark corners/vignetting screen uniformity issues with the 9 series sonys made recently. Read the previous few pages of this thread. I returned mine. I noticed it the first day I had it and drove me nuts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nothing can help. It's common. You also have darkness in the right upper corner as well clearly from that picture. The only corner that is barely noticeable is your bottom left.
That's just part of the dark corners/vignetting screen uniformity issues with the 9 series sonys made recently. Read the previous few pages of this thread. I returned mine. I noticed it the first day I had it and drove me nuts.
Thanks for the reply.
I was aware of the problem with dark corners/vignetting screen uniformity but I didn't know it can get worse over time. As you can see from the picture from September 2020 corners looked quite good without visible darker line in the left top corner. I don't know if I can live with this. I will have to wait and see. Do you think Sony would change panel after using TV for a half year or its something that I just have to accept?
IMG_20200904_235059.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just checking back in here. So going back to a LG OLED, even with it being a smaller sized tv, was the best choice I could have ever made. Having 4 working HDMI 2.1 ports, no issues whatsoever with 4K/120 and getting working GSYNC/VRR is amazing.

I went from the 85" 900h to a 77" C1. The C1 is catered to gamers, and the new Game Optimizer and working ALLM is very nice in tandem. I ended up taking a $1000 loss on the Sony when I sold it, but I've had more than $1000 worth of headaches from it since buying it back in October. So it's a wash in my mind. The loss in screen size is almost negligible.

The biggest difference that even my wife noticed was in the contrast being SO much better (the picture just pops and has much more dimensionality) and black bars actually being black. I know its NOT a fair fight comparing these tv's, so don't get upset as I'm just comparing what I used to have to what I have now. I won't purchase anything Sony again out of principle, so I don't have a PS5 and went with a Series X a couple months back when I was in the market for a new console, and I can tell you it plays very nice with the new tv.

I know what you are thinking, and yes I was hesitant and afraid of burn in since I did get it before on a 2017 B7 Oled. These newer Oleds have improved a lot in that area with the ability to dim static logos and other panel improvements like having a larger red subpixel.

But yeah my first thought was to wait for the new LG QNED mini LED's since LG caters to gamers best IMO - but with all of the LG Mini LED's having IPS/IPA panels and the new Samsung mini LED's that do have IPS panels like the QN85A that Rtings just reviewed having a low native and local dimming contrast - I wasn't willing to wait for them and go that route. Yes, the VA Panel Mini LED Samsung QN90A looks great but only one HDMI 2.1 port just seems scummy to me. And I don't trust Samsung with their firmware updates or just in general, plus not updating some tvs after year 1, and not delivering on eArc as promised on a certain tv they released not long ago.

So anyway, I did get a 5 year Best Buy warranty that covers burn-in and I think I will sleep better at night. BTW, they will begin to clearance the 2020 Oleds at BB soon, so keep an eye out on Slickdeals and grab one with a warranty so you'll be covered on burn-in or other panel issues if you also decide you want to switch to something that will give you less headaches as a gamer.
Yea, sony best give us a solution here quick, or im dumping my 900e and 900h and getting this Lg oled ! Might get rid of the ps5 too since theres a bunch of BS related to that too and get new xbox instead.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for posting the feedback. But not everything is perfect in LG land either. 4K120 + VRR gives the flickering problem on CX/C1.

The difference is that LG has acknowledged the problem, explained that it is at the panel level and can't be fixed in software, and introduced the adjust black levels feature in the game optimizer to help users cover it up better.
Ahhh man, flicker with the sticker $2,496.99 ? Sigh.. , Also the lg only comes with a wall mount and no legs, you have to buy the legs separately.

19461 - 19480 of 20200 Posts