AVS Forum banner

19481 - 19500 of 20202 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I was aware of the problem with dark corners/vignetting screen uniformity but I didn't know it can get worse over time. As you can see from the picture from September 2020 corners looked quite good without visible darker line in the left top corner. I don't know if I can live with this. I will have to wait and see. Do you think Sony would change panel after using TV for a half year or its something that I just have to accept?
It doesn't hurt to try and it also lets the company know there is a problem that they need to look into fixing in the future. If customers don't have a problem with something then the company has no incentive to fix it.

You could try, but I personally think there is very little chance of sony replacing the panel. It's considered "normal", which is a joke. You'd likely get a replacement that had the same problem anyway. Those are two different pictures you're comparing so I can't tell if it's gotten worse from those pics, but I believe you anyway. That's really concerning if it's gotten worse. It's bad enough to begin with. Also, I can still seek dark corners in the soccer game picture, albeit not very obvious like in the other pic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It doesn't hurt to try and it also lets the company know there is a problem that they need to look into fixing in the future. If customers don't have a problem with something then the company has no incentive to fix it.

You could try, but I personally think there is very little chance of sony replacing the panel. It's considered "normal", which is a joke. You'd likely get a replacement that had the same problem anyway. Those are two different pictures you're comparing so I can't tell if it's gotten worse from those pics, but I believe you anyway. That's really concerning if it's gotten worse. It's bad enough to begin with. Also, I can still seek dark corners in the soccer game picture, albeit not very obvious like in the other pic.
I remember doing a test patterns when I got and besides slightly dark corners didn't notice anything as bad as its now. I actually was happy that I had luck in panel lottery. Of course I agree that it should not be considered "normal". I will definitely let Sony know that I am not happy about this fact and I will see what they can do about it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
@liamtoh1
I went trough the entire window and matched the settings as in the video.
Saddened to say that it did not make a difference.
My complaints are not about color or blacks levels, it's about details and motion

@greg9x2
You're right, it almost feels like I'm getting a bad stream, but on all inputs even the 4K DVR?
Yes I do have the exact same setup, my Vizio P65 died and I replaced it with this, everything else stayed the same.
And Vizio was excellent.
I'm on Ethernet,
View attachment 3119744

Firestick or built-in Prime Video, same results.
There are times when the image is not moving, the quality and the details are breathtaking, and then it all goes south when there is motion.

Watching this youtube is so garbage, no details at all

then I watch this video, and it is amazing
(of course it doesn't play in 8K)

I compared this
playing on a dinky $300 Toshiba (probably even cheaper now) even at close range, I have much much better details,
I'm watching my 75" from 10 feet, at first I thought maybe I'm seeing all this because I got a bigger TV (my Vizio was 65", Sony is 75") but at 10 feet, it should be fine.
Watching the Toshiba from one foot and it's better, let alone from a distance.

One thing I noticed when I turn on Stats for Nerds in youtube.

See I get this on Toshiba (which by the way is on Wifi, and you can see it's not getting enough speed)
Notice the *2 on Viewport / Frames
View attachment 3119746

Whereas on Sony I don't see the *2
Is this playing at 1080P?

View attachment 3119747

I'm puzzled, people rave about this TV, and I can't bear watching it, I'm going nuts.
Thanks for your inputs and suggestions.
If you haven’t already....You need to go into settings, click watching tv, external inputs, hdmi signal format, go to the hdmi input 3 to change it to “enhanced”format Dolby vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
Go visit the a90j oled forum. 3-4k for a tv with major uniformity issues. If you're worried about uniformity check out the grayscale pics. lol You're in a panel lottery. You can get a descent one, but it's luck of the draw and they are very expensive. Even a reviewer b in the installer had to return his due to DSE

Oled burn is a real issue and a risk when static content is on screen. It's cumulative. These tvs are not built to last 10+ years.
Does not matter what price as TV is, there will always be a panel lottery. It is not 3 out of 4. A study would have to be done to verify any ones guess. Burn in happens but it is rare on OLED. OLED just turned 10 years old this year, so we would have to contact those owners to see if they are still up and running to verify.

Bottom line, pros and cons to every TV made. Pick the one that fits you personally the best.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does not matter what price as TV is, there will always be a panel lottery. It is not 3 out of 4. A study would have to be done to verify any ones guess. Burn in happens but it is rare on OLED. OLED just turned 10 years old this year, so we would have to contact those owners to see if they are still up and running to verify.

Bottom line, pros and cons to every TV made. Pick the one that fits you personally the best.
Reread my original post. I said 3-4k for an a9j oled and still has a panel lottery.That's money. I never said anything about 3 out of 4 in a panel lottery

Rtings did a study for one year. We all know how that went. Even subtitles had burn in. Burn in is not rare when watching static content on an oled. Watch 2 hours of cnn everyday and you're probably going to get burn in within a few years. That's "normal" usage for many people who watch tv. If burn in was rare, you wouldn't care about binge watching cnn/news channels. Even the news anchors body was burned in by the rtings test. Way worse than modern plasmas

Saying burn in is rare for people who don't use static content/subtitles is different than saying it's rare for people who watch static content/video games. Over the long term like 5-10 years, I'd even be worried about black bars in 2:35 content if you only used the oled for movies. better to zoom in for equal wear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nothing can help. It's common. You also have darkness in the right upper corner as well clearly from that picture. The only corner that is barely noticeable is your bottom left.
That's just part of the dark corners/vignetting screen uniformity issues with the 9 series sonys made recently. Read the previous few pages of this thread. I returned mine. I noticed it the first day I had it and drove me nuts.
The line in the top left is not common.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Because the issue exists and denying it is stupid?
I think the only thing that is being denied here is the high level of importance you've associated with the issues you've raised and/or the high percentage of owners (or potential owners) concerned primarily with gaming or computerly uses of the TV. You can't force something to catch on, by plea, repetition or argument if the population simply doesn't share your priorities.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The line in the top left is not common.
The line itself it worse than average, but the darkness on the right side almost extends as far down it's simply not as narrow(with a bright pocket on the edge of the panel) creating the illusion of a line. Hey maybe he gets lucky and sony decides to replace due to the "line".

·
Registered
138 Posts
How do you find the reflections on the OLED?

Would it not take extremely repetitive content for burn in to occur? I.e you maybe shouldn't worry so much.
Reflections are horrible in my C9, like really bad, but i watch movies in a completely dark room. If you have a bright room for watching TV then OLEDs are probably not your best option, this is one situation in which the extra nits of the LEDs are worth it.

Burn in in OLEDs is a very real thing still, not as bad as 2 years ago but still present. And unlike Plasmas the burn in is cumulative, if you watch the same content only 30 minutes per day with high oled light settings it will burn in over time, you don't have to watch it for hours in a row.

This is why i got myself the 900H for gaming.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Eventually itr would have become an issue for sure, but to go 4K they would need to be twice as thick and the weight as well. So many reason it went away.
We survived for quite a long time with much smaller TV displays that were many times deeper and where their own piece of furniture that required two men to move.

Any TV that needs 400 watts to operate should probably come with an air conditioner and an off-grid solar system.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think the only thing that is being denied here is the high level of importance you've associated with the issues you've raised and/or the high percentage of owners (or potential owners) concerned primarily with gaming or computerly uses of the TV. You can't force something to catch on, by plea, repetition or argument if the population simply doesn't share your priorities.
But I can refute the outright falsehoods which I have done. Maybe this issue isn't a big deal, but people telling others the issue doesn't exist IS a big deal.

I like how you only quoted a fragment of my post, to invent some narrative that I claimed this was the only issue on this tv people should care about. Nonsense. This TV is plagues with other firmware issues like wifi dropouts and STILL eARC issues.

I don't know why this bothers you so much. If reading posts correcting people on this issue traumatizes you so much I'd suggest just blocking me. You haven't; if you don't like me correcting people that defend Sony on this issue then do so and free yourself of the emotional stress. Sony heavily advertised this feature, did not properly deliver, and since then people have been playing internet guardian for Sony's honor going even so far as to invent narratives to defend a company.

I post so much on this issue because people claim the issue literally isn't there or claim that Sony doesn't need to deliver on their promise.

Actually, I think all false advertisements are a big deal. It's telling that the same people that get angry about reading about this issue all like the same posts that defend Sony over this even when what they say is demonstrably untrue....

Frankly I'm not interested in your perception of how important this issue is. When I post about issues with the tv that concern me, I DON'T worry about what you think about it. I don't use eARC but I don't throw a tantrum complaining about reading people endlessly discuss that issue, or wifi dropouts. I can't even imagine being this upset about people talking about that stuff. Geez.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today I contacted Slovenian Sony support since I had problems with installing internet provider TV app. I used the opportunity to mention 4K/120 blurr and told her I will contact Slovene Consumers' Association in May for fraud, if Sony doesn't provide more info and update. She had no idea for this problem and it looked like noone reported it in my country, but I let her know that there are thousands of users on internet and forums all over the world, who know about the problem and are angry. She said I will get answer from technical support, and I said I want official response from Sony. She was kinda shocked about contacting Consumers Association :D. We will see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Am I correct in thinking the 4k/120hz issue affects those who want to be use the TV as a monitor more? Is there issues apparent with PS5 usage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
But I can refute the outright falsehoods which I have done. Maybe this issue isn't a big deal, but people telling others the issue doesn't exist IS a big deal.

I post so much on this issue because people claim the issue literally isn't there or claim that Sony doesn't need to deliver on their promise.

Actually, I think all false advertisements are a big deal. It's telling that the same people that get angry about reading about this issue all like the same posts that defend Sony over this even when what they say is demonstrably untrue....
Thank your for your continued attention to this topic. I don't really post, but wanted to support you here - the false advertising and 4k/120 blur are a BIG deal to me. I can't use the TV for the purpose I intended it for (gaming TV hooked to a PC and XBOX) because of blur and lack of VRR. If I could return it, I would. I have stopped looking for a PS5, and will not buy another Sony product until they make this right.

I get that my use case isn't everyones, but the deniers here are over the top with outright falsehoods. It IS a repeatable issue and immediately apparent when using the TV as a monitor. The lack of VRR is still frustrating, but I hope it's coming. The blur issue is unacceptable to me, and worth repeating every few pages as new users often only read the last couple of posts. The same thing can be said with the eARC and WiFi issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am I correct in thinking the 4k/120hz issue affects those who want to be use the TV as a monitor more? Is there issues apparent with PS5 usage?
The TV cannot display full 4k resolution at 120Hz, not matter the input - PS5 included. You won't notice it with a PS5 though, because it can't really run full [email protected] anyway (upscaled, checkerboard rendering, etc.). Using it as a monitor it is immediately noticeable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The TV cannot display full 4k resolution at 120Hz, not matter the input - PS5 included. You won't notice it with a PS5 though, because it can't really run full [email protected] anyway (upscaled, checkerboard rendering, etc.). Using it as a monitor it is immediately noticeable.
Do you mean in terms it can't produce the full detail?

Could firmware sort this?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19,499 ·
Read through this thread. ACTUAL owners of both PS5 and this TV have no 4K/120 issues it works with this combo as advertised.
Waiting on VRR and some having audio dropouts is a issue though.

19481 - 19500 of 20202 Posts