AVS Forum banner

Owner's Thread for the Sony X900H (No Price Talk)

7M views 41K replies 2K participants last post by  MeowWoof 
#1 · (Edited)

MSRP
55X900H: $1,199
65X900H: $1,599
75X900H: $2,499
85X900H: $3,499

4K UHD 3840 x 2160 Full Array With Local Dimming LED Panel
HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision HDR Support
HDMI 2.1|HDCP 2.3
4K/120/eARC

VRR/ALLM(update coming later)

120 Hz Refresh Rate /X-Motion Clarity
Works with Alexa & the Google Assistant
Acoustic Multi-Audio speakers with S-Force Front Surround
ATSC 3.0 tuner

Official PlayStation 5 TV.

See less See more
1 2
#2,562 ·
After changing out my cables to 8K/48Gbps, I’m convinced it’s a cable quality issue.
Even though my previous cables were “18Gbps” premium 4K, I just don’t thinks there’s been enough high quality material to cause an issue. Sort of like a not enough water pressure to test the quality of a hose but here not enough data pressure to test the quality of the cable. Now that data is available and revealing weak spots.

For me, my AVR and sources have been more than capable, but the cables weren’t despite their “premium 4K” claim. I think many others might be hitting this problem if they haven’t recently purchased cables. Seems to me that some of the premium claims just skidded through because the really couldn’t be adequately exposed.
Thanks! I hope this is the case. I plan to replace my cables before I'd install a new tv and avr, which cables did you buy?

#2,563 ·
Heard good and bad about this filter. So without it what’s the angle that’s it’s ok at? I know LG TV’s are better for viewing angles, but worse for blacks/contrast.

Some of the people in my house sit not directly in front of the TV, off to the side, and if the picture is washed out then what’s the point?

Thanks
LG LCDs are not good at all. LG OLEDs are the way to go if you were to get an LG. Sony uses the LG OLED panels though and adds their chip processing and Android TV making it still my choice. But the Sony 2020 oled does not have hdmi 2.1 so I am only going 900h this year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#2,564 ·
Haven’t posted anything in my x900h. As some of you know from previous posts, I was one of the early orders from Value Electronics. Let me say that Robert and Wendy are absolutely delightful to work with. Nicest people around and incredibly knowledgeable. After waiting some time for stock to get allocated, my tv was shipped. Was supposed to be delivered last Monday. I received a call from CEVA Logistics that they lost my tv. After a couple days and with Roberts help, they were able to find it. Received the set Friday. Found the box was opened, straps were removed. Took it out of the box and turned it on.

Picture is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

....Now look at the attached pic and you’ll see why. 😝😝😝. Tv was completely damaged. Value Electronics immediately ordered up a new one for me and started the claim process on this one.

I will have this tv one day!!!!

I also got my tv also from VE, and they used the same shipper, CEVA Logistics in CA. My tv was late by 5 days but it was packed right and straps there, even had extra wrapping, about 1/4” for plastic wrap.

I think someone watched your tv before and then dropped it putting it back in the box.

#2,565 ·
LG LCDs are not good at all. LG OLEDs are the way to go if you were to get an LG. Sony uses the LG OLED panels though and adds their chip processing and Android TV making it still my choice. But the Sony 2020 oled does not have hdmi 2.1 so I am only going 900h this year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Won’t be going OLED for various reasons.

Why do you say LG LCDs are no good?

#2,566 ·
After changing out my cables to 8K/48Gbps, I’m convinced it’s a cable quality issue.
Even though my previous cables were “18Gbps” premium 4K, I just don’t thinks there’s been enough high quality material to cause an issue. Sort of like a not enough water pressure to test the quality of a hose but here not enough data pressure to test the quality of the cable. Now that data is available and revealing weak spots.

For me, my AVR and sources have been more than capable, but the cables weren’t despite their “premium 4K” claim. I think many others might be hitting this problem if they haven’t recently purchased cables. Seems to me that some of the premium claims just skidded through because the really couldn’t be adequately exposed.
Are you saying:
1: The picture quality (colors/sharpness) is better with the new cables. (Which is impossible, that's not how digital signals work.. although I have seen people try to claim that)
or
2: You are getting less dropouts and signal loss. (Which many including me have had with low quality/bad HDMI cables)

I ask because I've got runs over 15' in-wall and I'm trying to decide if I need to lay out the big bucks for optical HDMI 48gb/s cables. I really don't want to re-run them.

#2,568 · (Edited)

Ever since after my Z9D got the Dolby Vision update I switched to HDMI 2.1 cables due to various handshaking issues with Apple 4KTV etc.

#2,571 ·
Are you saying:
1: The picture quality (colors/sharpness) is better with the new cables. (Which is impossible, that's not how digital signals work.. although I have seen people try to claim that)
or
2: You are getting less dropouts and signal loss. (Which many including me have had with low quality/bad HDMI cables)

I ask because I've got runs over 15' in-wall and I'm trying to decide if I need to lay out the big bucks for optical HDMI 48gb/s cables. I really don't want to re-run them.
Think of it this way. If you drink a normal glass of water that is fine. Grab a big yard glass than try to drink. What happens is a certain point its going to come gushing in and your mouth etc. wont handle the stream. Just because its a digital doesnt mean the cable can handle the bandwidth nor could possible the processor keep up at either end. Almost gaurantee 8/10 times it will be the cable when people upgrade their tvs. Especially going to 4K.

If I even take my own example when I went from 1080p LG LM8600 to Sony 930e the PS4 Pro worked fine every time on the LG. Plug the same into 930e had synch issues and 1 out of every 3 times the screen would be black but sound would come through. Purchased a quality high speed hdmi with ethernet problem solved. How an issue manifests will depend on a number of factors. sometimes it is more than one issue when dealing with a problem but starting at layer 1 first (i.e. the cables) you can than move up the troubleshooting stack with more confidence. BTW I did replace every hdmi cable I was using and rearranged the way my peripherals were connected. Now only have the tv plugged into the soundbar (soundbar could not pass 4k reliably either).

But try it first see what happens. Make sure you give it a couple of tries and test everything out. For example if your avr supports earc check that its handshaking properly every time.

#2,572 ·
From the video, it looks like the white dot only travelled the very top and side of the screen. Is it possible that the dimming zones are staggered and not all in the same rows and columns?

Also, I wonder if there are more dimming zones in the 85” (my desired model) than the 65”.
Using the same video, I attempted to count the zones for my 55" X90CH, and I counted 24 (4 horizontal and 6 vertical).

#2,573 ·
Won’t be going OLED for various reasons.

Why do you say LG LCDs are no good?
IPS and it's issues like glowing blacks.
the 2020 LG Nano 90's are actually much improved this year IMO (better dimming algorithms and power control).

For off-angle non-OLED's there's also Samsung's Q80T & Q90T which have a similar filter to the Sony's.

#2,574 ·
the 2020 LG Nano 90's are actually much improved this year IMO (better dimming algorithms and power control).

For off-angle non-OLED's there's also Samsung's Q80T & Q90T which have a similar filter to the Sony's.

Was looking at a 2019 65” SM9010, specs are good and decent reviews.

Have discounted the Samsung’s as no Dolby Vision.

Have looked also at the newer LG NanoCell, the 65” Nano86 and what you mention, the Nano90.

Probably down to these now....

#2,575 ·

Have looked also at the newer LG NanoCell, the 65” Nano86 and what you mention, the Nano90.

Yes, the inclusion of Dolby Vision completely by itself totally makes the LG far superior to Samsung. It will be a glorious HDR experience, for reference: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-sm9000-vs-samsung-q80t/887/1819?usage=11114&threshold=0.1 or https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/com...ung-q80t/10618/1819?usage=11114&threshold=0.1
:)

#2,577 ·

Yes, the inclusion of Dolby Vision completely by itself totally makes the LG far superior to Samsung. It will be a glorious HDR experience, for reference: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-sm9000-vs-samsung-q80t/887/1819?usage=11114&threshold=0.1 or https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/com...ung-q80t/10618/1819?usage=11114&threshold=0.1
:)
We've had a number of reports, please let's take the non-Sony TV discussions to PM or another thread.

#2,579 ·
Ethernet speed

Anyone know what the maximum speed of this TV's Ethernet port is?

Pretty sure it's 100 Mbps. I have gigabit FiOS. My actual max speed is around 330 Mbps. But my X900H Ethernet speed test always shows 80 to 90 Mbps. I'm using premium cable, but it's a Cat5e cable, not Cat6 or Cat7.

#2,580 ·
Pretty sure it's 100 Mbps. I have gigabit FiOS. My actual max speed is around 330 Mbps. But my X900H Ethernet speed test always shows 80 to 90 Mbps. I'm using premium cable, but it's a Cat5e cable, not Cat6 or Cat7.
I think Sony claimed/quoted 300Mbps, but I can’t remember where I saw that. If I come across it, I’ll post it. I only use WiFi so I can’t say what the port does.