AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 6020 for a few months now... watched LOTS of movies, both DVD and BD, using a PS3.

I notice during many DVD movies, the brightness shifting by itself when cutting from dark or light scenes. I doubt it is the PS3 as it never did this on my previous plasma. The shift is a noticeable +/- 1 or 2, comparing with the regular brightness control. It is NOT on the disc or movie itself as many tests in slow mo back and forth do not show this action. It usually happens about 1.5 to 2 seconds into a different scene and then it shifts. I can repeat the shift by backup far enough into the previous scene. At first I thought it was film transitions like in old films where they overlay the new film for the fade in, and it affects the scene for a moment - but it is not that

This can't be normal.

I've gone through all the TV settings I can get to, and tried them on and off, and also tried different display modes like MOVIE, OPTIMUM, DYNAMIC, SPORT GAME etc and they all do it. I use GAME mostly. Maybe there is a combination I am missing like use full power mode and MOVIE?

Not sure if I notice it on BLU-RAY yet, as I need to do more watching.

Idea?? Yes, I have shut off the ambient light detector thingy or whatever it is called.

·
Registered
20,011 Posts
The 9G Kuros do not have a dynamic black level control. What DVD are you speaking of? What scene? Do you have the power save mode turn to anything besides Off?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dnice for responding. I usually use POWER MODE 2, but trials with no power save produce the same results. I see it on a good number of DVDs, still not sure if it does it on BluRay or not - I gotta watch more....

one specific example is ID4: Independance Day at 11min 22 sec in, the dad is leaning on the red plane, looks to his right and the brightness drops a notch, and he says "Are you sure?". when the scene is played alone the brightness stays consistant. When played with the previous scene where his son is sitting on the bike, THEN it drops a notch shrortly after he looks to the right.

My PS3 is setup properly according to posts, and I don't think it has settings to ...

OH MY GOSH! It's the PS3! I had it set to dvd UPSCALING "FULL" because it fit and looked the best, but when I shut it off, it gets through the scene with no shifting!! but it looks like crap!!! grrrr

k, I'm gonna dig out that PS3 thread again, and maybe contact Sony

Thanks for trying anyway.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd /forum/post/15432147

...OH MY GOSH! It's the PS3! I had it set to dvd UPSCALING "FULL" because it fit and looked the best, but when I shut it off, it gets through the scene with no shifting!!...

I'm doing this totally from memory so I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the PS3 to upscale setting to full was for stretching 4:3 material. I have mine set to normal upscale and I've never noticed the brightness shift on my 6020. I'll have to look at that setting again as I haven't looked at that for quite some time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More info on this: I've discovered that the brightness shift is only happening on regular DVDs played via PS3, HDMI, upscaled via NORMAL or FULL modes. the bright shift ONLY happens using DOT TO DOT screen ratio setting on my TV. Using FULL or AUTO [which cuts off the slightest bit from the sides] keeps the bright shift from happening. What's up with that??

can anyone think of a reason that happens and a way to fix it? Is my set defective?

Also, my buddy has two PS3's and I tested the same disc on his systems and they didn't have any issue. Seeing as it is fixed via switching DOT TO DOT mode back to AUTO or FULL on the 6020, I think that squarely points to the TV.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Check and see that you have your PS3 HDMI output settings and everything else set-up correctly.

Here is a GREAT thread regarding the PS3 and how it should be set-up:

THE SUPER PS3 THREAD!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, thanks, I did go through that whole thing. it is a definite reaction by the TV. It's very subtle, and I been watching for a while and not thinking anything about it. Then I started to notice it and started experiementing. First I thought it was just inferior DVD quality, then I thought maybe it was scene change film overlays - you know in the old days when then edit fades to a new scene, they literally put a second layer of film on top and they made things kinda washed out... it reminded me of that. but further testing and comparisons show it is interaction with the 6020 on PS3 upscaled DVDs. My next test is to take my unit elsewhere and try it, and then borrow a friends PS3 and test it on my 6020. I'm certain this will show the glitch resides in the 6020 handling of side video from the PS3's upscaling. Weird.

Worst cases: they fix it, or I watch in FULL mode instead of DOT TO DOT. Which is not a big deal in the end I guess

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd /forum/post/15453157

More info on this: I've discovered that the brightness shift is only happening on regular DVDs played via PS3, HDMI, upscaled via NORMAL or FULL modes. the bright shift ONLY happens using DOT TO DOT screen ratio setting on my TV. Using FULL or AUTO [which cuts off the slightest bit from the sides] keeps the bright shift from happening. What's up with that??

can anyone think of a reason that happens and a way to fix it? Is my set defective?

Also, my buddy has two PS3's and I tested the same disc on his systems and they didn't have any issue. Seeing as it is fixed via switching DOT TO DOT mode back to AUTO or FULL on the 6020, I think that squarely points to the TV.

Just curious if your Side Mask Brightness Synch is set to Fixed or Auto?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim /forum/post/15459661

Just curious if your Side Mask Brightness Synch is set to Fixed or Auto?

I tried that also. Although I enjoy SYNC's darker tones, I switched it back to FIXED during my testing and it made no differenece. It's narrowed down to DOT TO DOT mode, ONLY on upscaled DVDs. TV, BluRay games all work fine on DTD mode. weird

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd /forum/post/15459785

I tried that also. Although I enjoy SYNC's darker tones, I switched it back to FIXED during my testing and it made no differenece. It's narrowed down to DOT TO DOT mode, ONLY on upscaled DVDs. TV, BluRay games all work fine on DTD mode. weird

Just wondering if it might be mistakenly seeing the video as having side masks. Did you also try using a different DVD player to do the upscaling? Do you prefer to let the PS3 upscale rather than sending a 480p signal for the Kuro to upscale?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd /forum/post/15459785

I'd try another player, the PS3 isn't exactly know for it's upscaling capabilities. Oppo makes some good stuff and not expensive either. If you can find an old HD-DVD player (XA2) they are terrific too, that's what I use for my DVDs and never really noticed any issues. I upscale it to 1080i and let the Kuro do the rest.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, I suspect the PS3 is signalling SOMETHING to the 6020, but what and why? One would not think any side mask settings would affect DOT TO DOT mode. The PS3 looks better upscaling to 1080P than the 6020 "upscaling" it from 480P.

I no longer have another upscaler to test since the PS3 came in. I hope to try other PS3s soon though.

I guess I am the only one with this issue... or that notices it?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
To really upscale the picture you'd have to send the panel 480i, problem is players that do this are few and between, apparently this is the best solution (none of my 3 dvd players do)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm impressed with the PS3's DVD upscaler [other than this issue] and hadn't read anything negative about it. and it's easily updated. looks better than my previous upscaler

anyone else reading in this thread notice this sort of issue?

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd /forum/post/15469030

I'm impressed with the PS3's DVD upscaler [other than this issue] and hadn't read anything negative about it. and it's easily updated. looks better than my previous upscaler

anyone else reading in this thread notice this sort of issue?

I think the PS3s upscaler looks real good also. I just have used my twice on regular DVDs and I tried sending the Kuro (5020) upscaled and non-upscaled video over HDMI and I think the PS3 does a better job than the kuro for upscaling DVDs., it really should do better given all the processing power it has, as long as the software running it is good code.

As far as your problem goes, I have not noticed any said effect, but will watch out for it. Also, have you checked the output on the PS3 for the "white output setting" can not remember the exact setting, but I think it needs to be set to limited for the Kuros.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an older Oppo DVD player that looks way better than the PS3 for upscaling DVDs. If you think your PS3 does a good job, you are missing a much better picture on your 6020 by using the PS3 as your DVD player. Of course for BluRay it's great. With a $4k+ investment in a Kuro I would spend another $200 and get a much better Oppo DVD player.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My PS3 upscales very well. It looks 10 times better than sending 480i to the set. It's night and day IMO. Some DVDs end up looking as good as some BR movies I have seen. I read many articles about how if you have a top end set, that an uc dvd player in not needed. Well I strongly disagree with that based on the diff in PQ I see.

I have noticed some very odd issues that happen in all modes but dot by dot. There is something very different about dot by dot regarding processing in relation to all the other modes. Maybe it's due to the lesser amount of processing in this mode? It's a different issue than yours but worth noteing. Good luck and let us know how it turns out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.