AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not belong in this forum, but since there are so many OAR nuts here maybe it does...

How difficult would it be to broadcast movies as OAR (sometimes plus the extra top and bottom that is often used to create a 4:3 image) and also include a datastream that instructs P&S location across this image?

I would think that this datastream could be extremely small given that the P&S window is not moving constantly and only movements would need to be indicated or flagged and then only the center of the window and occasionally a zoom ratio needs to be keyed.

??

Aslan...

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Search for "coordinate" and "vector" here in the forums. We have been talking about this since I joined AVS. It's a shame that the "experts" were comatose when this most obvious of solutions smacked them in the face. Dorks.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
The best solution would have been for all STB manufacturers to have done from day one what Dish did with the 6000. There is full aspect control for 720 and 1080 signals. You can stretch. You can partial zoom. You can full zoom.

This should satisfy the black bar haters as they can eliminate the bars on a 2.35 movie by zooming. Those who fear burn in with 4:3 on a widescreen set can stretch the 4:3 image to fill the sides.

I realy doubt that the black bar haters would care that much about a straight zoom versus a programmed pan and scan. The lost side information isn't that important to these folks anyway, so it just isn't worth the trouble to create the vectoring needed to do pan and scanning via programming. It didn't take off with DVD and it wouldn't with HD.

I suspect that if this capability was present in every STB from the beginning, HBO might not have instituted their version of HDTV (Horribly Disfiguring TV) with 2.35 movies as they simply would have told those who complain about not getting their screen filled to zoom the image. I've tried zooming a 2.35 Showtime movie on the 6000 and the resulting quality is quite good, and certain good enough for the pan and scan advocates.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
What is more ironic is this feature was included in the DVD specification but apparently not in the ATSC spec.

Resolution and aspect ratio are two separate issues and should have been set separately. At least three aspect ratios should have been included 235,178, and 133. Pan and scan instructions could also have been included.

The display device could then scale and resize at will.

Alas, this was not done.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The ATSC spec is open. It is not a video and audio platform, but a data platform and as such could include all kinds of enhanced features on future STB's. Pan & Scan vectors would be ignored by older STB's.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Pan and scan vectors could be added and ignored by older STB's.

Unfortuntately, I am less optimistic about adding aspect ratio control in an upward compatible manner. What I am talking about is the ability to specify the aspect ratio of the content being transmitted, with at least three options. The bandwidth (i.e., number of pixels) would be redistributed according to the native aspect ratio.

Changes of this kind appear to me to not be upward compatible.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I suppose that you could extend ATSC in such a way that would let you transmit say a 720p stream of 2.35:1 movie pan and scanned to fill out a 16:9 display. Then you transmit an additional stream containing the sidepanel information to fill out the whole screen for those of us with 2.35:1 displays. We can afterall transmit two programs at a time, or do datacasting, or whatever ... so why not?

Maybe not now, but what about 20 years from now? Or two? It probably inevitable. We've lived with NTSC for long time. Its nice to consider that what we have now with HD is pretty good - and it doesnt have to be made obselete by advances in technology; nor does it seem that we would have to make our newest equipment unusable by similar advances.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.