1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This makes me Mad As Hell.

2.35:1 P&S'd to 16:9

A crime against Humanity.

I was afraid this would happen. Ordinary consumers would never know the difference - or care. However, "ordinary consumers" are NOT the ones buying this HD stuff.

Go figure.

I'm furious about this.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
28,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt
I'm furious about this.

Anyone else?
Here? Nah, you're probably the only one. :D :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Archigun,

You're trolling me, right?

Seriously, maybe here is where to ask the question:

Earth Girls are Easy is 2.35:1, however, I saw in the WalMart DVD Bin, a version that was "optimized" for "wide screen" TV's .... or something like that. Usually they quote the aspect ration on the cover but they didn't say a word. What I fear is that this version is P&S to 16:9.

NOTE: I think HBO would cough up blood before they would show letterbox. Being a fanatic about LTX, I probably should have DirectTV, eh?

___________________-

Hey Marcus,

Yeah, that avitar is how I feel most of the time!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Archigun,

You're trolling me, right?

Seriously, maybe here is where to ask the question:

Earth Girls are Easy is 2.35:1, however, I saw in the WalMart DVD Bin, a version that was "optimized" for "wide screen" TV's .... or something like that. Usually they quote the aspect ration on the cover but they didn't say a word. What I fear is that this version is P&S to 16:9.

NOTE: I think HBO would cough up blood before they would show letterbox. Being a fanatic about LTX, I probably should have DirectTV, eh?
Use the resources available on the Internet:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0097257/dvd

That will answer your Earth Girls question. "Enhanced for widescreen (or 16x9) sets doesn't mean it's a 1.85 transfer. It just means it's an "anamorphic" transfer that could be any ratio.

What does DirecTV have to do with OAR?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what an anamophic transfer is. I'm only familiar with 2.35:1 movies that are provided as 2.35:1 LTX or 4:3 P&S. That's why I didn't buy it. I still don't understand what is actually on that disc however, its not 2.35:1, right?

(I think its ironic that with all the HD widescreen development, they stopped at some "golden rule" ratio of 16:9 rather than at least providing 1.85:1 Just doesn't make any sense.)

AFAIK, a friend of mine who has DirectTV says they provide more actual 2.35:1 LTX than any of the premium channels such as HBO etc. available via cable. maybe its a compression bandwidth problem with cable?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Are you talking about DVD's or HD? I can only think of two DVD's that have been changed from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1. They are "The Recruit" and "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" and both of these were apparantly done by the directors. Now HD is a totally different animal. I know HBO-HD is notorious for doing this, and I'm sure other channels are too.

An anamorphic transfer is a transfer on DVD that has been optimized for 16x9 TV's, because DVD's are natively 4x3. HD on the other had is native 16x9.

As far as "Earth Girls are Easy" goes, here is a excerpt from DVDFile's review of the DVD.

"The film's 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio is presented in anamorphic video (the notes on the back of the clamshell case indicating 1.85:1 is a typo). As I wrote when I began this review, the video is simply outstanding. The video is extremely detailed without any intrusive sharpness enhancement. There is no video noise, and no noticeable digital artifacts, just wonderfully crisp, clear, rock solid images. The colors are vivid and vibrant. Have a look at the tropical fish tank in Valerie's home; the coral and the fish are gorgeous. The director frequently composed his scenes with bright, richly colored costumes, sets, backgrounds, and set dressing. They are all reproduced flawlessly."

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sorry bgall, I was editing my post as you were posting.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It's fine that you prefer OAR. Excellent. But if you really want to be more than an "ordinary customer" you really need to come up to speed about what "enhanced for 16:9 TVs" (same thing as anamorphic widescreen) really means. It doesn't refer to a specific aspect ratio. It refers to improved picture resolution on widescreen displays. Read up here:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...c/welcome.html

As to 2.35 being cropped or P&S'ed to 1.78:1 to fit the widescreen TV dimensions, yes that is a shame. It really doesn't happen on DVDs hardly ever as pointed out above. It happens a lot on HD channels on TV (HBO, INHD, etc.)

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:
I don't know what an anamophic transfer is. I'm only familiar with 2.35:1 movies that are provided as 2.35:1 LTX or 4:3 P&S. That's why I didn't buy it. I still don't understand what is actually on that disc however, its not 2.35:1, right?

(I think its ironic that with all the HD widescreen development, they stopped at some "golden rule" ratio of 16:9 rather than at least providing 1.85:1 Just doesn't make any sense.)

AFAIK, a friend of mine who has DirectTV says they provide more actual 2.35:1 LTX than any of the premium channels such as HBO etc. available via cable. maybe its a compression bandwidth problem with cable?
If you dont know what an anamorphic transfer is...I suggest doing just a little bit of homework before posting here. You also seem confused about DVD vs HD.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, it doesn't matter what anamorphic transfer means. Every DVD made has the aspect ratio published on the back. They also use words like "theatrical release." You can verify the aspect ratio on IMDB.COM A 2.35:1 movie published as such on DVD will say "2.35:1" on the back of the case.

So, what is this new standard appearing on Earth Girls are Easy DVD? No published aspect ratio. It is 2.35:1 I suspect that DVD is NOT 2.35:1 because of their weasel words "enhanced for widescreen monitors."

One of the big deal with HD is that there was the hope that LTX would becom the viewing standard. however, it looks like 16:9 P&S is going to be the standard.

This would be a BIG STEP BACKWARDS becuase the DVD "standard" is actual theatrical release.

So here we have LoDef DVD providing true content while the new HD hubbub is still in the miopic P&S camp.

Just so you understand, I would watch movies in 2.35:1 VHS rather than P&S 4:3 or even 16:9 super ultra HD 1900p if there was such a thing.

I am one of those cursed people who can tell from composition that P&S or clipping is present. I watched Stateside recently and when our hero was boarding the troop ship with his radio, I immediately saw bad composition. Not from the director but from the P&S.

Lo and behond, Stateside is 2.35:1 and it was shown probably in 16:9.

I hope this clarifies my observations and opinions.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
So, what is this new standard appearing on Earth Girls are Easy DVD? No published aspect ratio. It is 2.35:1 I suspect that DVD is NOT 2.35:1 because of their weasel words "enhanced for widescreen monitors."

No, it doesn't matter what anamorphic transfer means. Every DVD made has the aspect ratio published on the back. They also use words like "theatrical release." You can verify the aspect ratio on IMDB.COM A 2.35:1 movie published as such on DVD will say "2.35:1" on the back of the case.

The IMDB indicates the Earth Girls DVD is 2.35. Why do you think it won't be? Because of the "enhanced for widescreen" message?

Are you being obstinate or something worse? Once again, and for the last time, "Enhanced for widescreen TVs" has NOTHING to do with the aspect ratio. The fact that you say "it doesn't matter what anamorphic transfer means" indicates that this discussion will just be an act of futility and you really seem to be unwilling to get an education about aspect ratios and DVD terminology and understanding.

And when you say that every DVD made has the aspect ratio published on the back, well, you couldn't be further from the truth. Many DVDs do NOT list the aspect ratio on the back. I have dozens and dozens of DVDs of 2.35 movies that say "enhanced for widescreen TV", don't have the aspect ratio listed on the back, and are indeed in their correct ratio of 2.35. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

And the fact that some HD channels such as HBO alter 2.35 movies to 1.85 is an entirely different discussion that has nothing to do with DVDs, their ratios, and "enhanced for widescreen".

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
First off, I want to say that I do agree with your opinion that 2.35.1 movies should not be cropped to 16:9. However, you still seem to be missing the point about anamorphic transfers, it means exactly the same as "Enhanced for Widescreen TV's." Whether a DVD is anamorphic or not has nothing to do with whether or not a 2:35.1 movie was cropped to 16:9. Are you viewing on a 16:9 or 4:3 tv?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I think it's going in one ear out the other.

we've been trying to explain to him that the DVD is fine, but instead he keeps going on this crazy talk that because HD is 16x9 studios will start panning and scanning to 16x9.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On Topic:

My concern is that while 4:3 P&S was an issue and required disclosure, with the new standard 16:9 being so much "wider" and "closer to 1.85 or 2.35 that P&S will not be an issue and won't need to be disclosed.

I strongly disagree with that.

Off topic:

I went to WalMart to buy Earth Girls are Easy to see if there were any problems.

Well, when I got there, the aspect ratio was stated as 1.85:1 and "enhanced for widescreen." Well, I didn't buy it because of the 1.85 - I thought it was 2.35 and 1.85 is just sucky.

Well, I got home and low and behold it was 2.35 as per imdb.

So what in the world was that in WalMart's bin???

2.35 P&S'd down to 1.85? or was the 1.85 a typo???

NOTE: I did some reading up on anamorphic DVD and observed the vertical stretch when going from 4:3 to 16:9 TV output setting in the anamorphic DVDs.

I wasn't aware they had that technology. And it is irrelevant for 4:3 TV's.

I get crazy when they start chopping away parts of a movie. I have had to complain at movie houses because they matted so much of the image away, they weren't even close to centering what was left.

There was this one movie house that had about a 2.00:1 screen. The Unforgiven was so bad, I had to walk out. What was interesting was in one of the opening scenes, there was part of a little shed that was 1/2 off the screen. So I saw it in a better movie house and saw the entire shed. Then I watched it on DVD on my zero overscan TV and there was open space on the other side of the shed. Amazing how much content casually gets thrown away.

I always buy the service manual for my projection TV's so that I can get the master height and width set to about 1/8" overscan.

I did get a BIG BONUS running out to WalMart: I found Stateside in the DVD bin!

Who-Ahh!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Glad to see you did a little research on anamorphic transfers, like we've said, understanding this is important. I am assuming you have a 4:3 tv, even though you haven't stated that for sure. Also, I stated way up in post #7 that DVDFile's review said that the 1.885:1 statement on Earth Girls was a type.

Anyway, keep up the OAR fight!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rocky,

Good Grief! I never read #7!

I think I've been staring at this screen too much....

BTW, I have a Pioneer SD-P5181-K which is a 4:3 "fake" wide screen.

What really sucks about this unit is that it is basically the bottom end w/o even SVHS input. However, it was the brightest TV on the floor of Sun Appliance, Monroeville PA when I bot it almost 10 years ago. It is still too bright to NOT play in game mode. Further, it has this incredible matte finish that is totally unreflective - you can play it in a room with open windows and the sun shining in and there are no reflections.

This combination of brightness and no reflection makes it still superior to most of the HDTV I see in Best Buy in those categories.

I used to have a GE (Zenith) front projector and many, many Advents. I had the GE running 11.5' on drywall. My next purchase will be a HD projector. They're simply too small to be avoided. ...and an anamorphic lense would be awesome but most likely out of my limited budget.

Looks like I'm off to WalMart again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.