AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FOOL screen returns... Both Blockbuster and Hollywood Video in my area only had Fool screen for rent for the Mummy Returns. I even emailed Hollywood video on subject. They said it was a corporate decision. I finally found it at my local grocery store! They had both versions! (I complained previously about them only having Remember the Titans in Full Screen, maybe that helped.) I rented the full screen by accident at Hollywood since they had a see the front desk sign to rent the Mummy Returns. I never looked at the box. I later took it back to get a widescreen version and the girl said all they had was full. She asked if I wanted to watch it and I said no, thanks and she looked puzzled. I should have went off in a imbecilic tirade saying that I can't watch a full screen DVD on my widescreen TV, my TVs broke, what did you do to my TV?! But I kept my composure.

Anyway, I'm thinking that the wider movies with 2.35:1 AR are the ones that most idiots, I mean people;) , complain about. Those have the largest black bars on their TV and probably get the most complaints. Can anyone confirm this. Sadly, those are the movies that are the best in widescreen with all the parallel action. I guess the big video firms are not identifying with the millions of people that were happy with Widescreen and returned the video and rented some more videos (because that is what movie fans do.) Minimally, they should have some widescreen available to rent since they are neglecting their best customers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wooderson
Anyway, I'm thinking that the wider movies with 2.35:1 AR are the ones that most idiots, I mean people, complain about. Those have the largest black bars on their TV and probably get the most complaints. Can anyone confirm this. Sadly, those are the movies that are the best in widescreen with all the parallel action. I guess the big video firms are not identifying with the millions of people that were happy with Widescreen and returned the video and rented some more videos (because that is what movie fans do.) Minimally, they should have some widescreen available to rent since they are neglecting their best customers.
I blame the electronics makers for this, because they have not brought out a cheap 16:9 that J6P can afford. These people are not "idiots" , they have been weaned on P&S from day one, it's going to take time for them to get use to it.

These people are the majority, like it or not, and we have to help them leave the "Dark Side".

Case in point, when my brother got his DVD player that's all he use to complain about, now you don't hear a peep out of him, he never bought many VHS tapes, but he buys lots of DVDs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that better? ;) I was going to do that in the first place. (I should have known some people don't get subtle sarcasm in this forum from the Superbit P&S thread.) :D

I didn't care about J6P's ignorance until it starts affecting me, one of the ones that has two DVD players and bought one when it first came out. And why did I buy it, because I wanted my movies in their OAR. The masses are trying to take that away from us.

And now a nice like story about J6P. I bought a DVD player for my parents two years ago. They didn't like WS either. My brother on the other now moved back home and loves it. Then my dad visited and watched Election on my WS TV. Now he wants one and understands. Funny how things change with a little info. We need to inform people and the first thing that needs to go is the term Full Screen. It's misleading as possible. It surely isn't Full Screen on my TV. There should be a definition beside both. One should say Widescreen: Displays movie as Director intended, this is how it was presented at the movie theater. Standard TV version: This is the version that has been altered to fit standard 4:3 (square) TV screens, you will not see all of the video as it was seen in the movie theater or as the director intended. Unintentional camera movement will be included in this version.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, I'm thinking that the wider movies with 2.35:1 AR are the ones that most idiots, I mean people , complain about.
If that turns out to be the case, maybe it would be better to do a step-by-step conversion of those people to 2.35:1. Offer OAR versions of a movie, and a separate P&S 1.85:1 version instead of a separate 4:3 P&S. I know that would be controversial, but maybe it would help to make a step in the right direction. My biggest concern is that would become the norm after j6p gets his 16:9 set.

We need our own format, like LD was to VHS. One standard for people like us (maybe HD-DVD), and a lower quality format for J6P. It's funny, because when I switched over to DVD in '97 I thought that this issue would finally be put to rest with all the options offered on DVD.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wooderson
Anyway, I'm thinking that the wider movies with 2.35:1 AR are the ones that most idiots, I mean people;) , complain about.
While I dislike P/S, I can understand their point. To me, 2.35:1 is basically unwatchable on a 14" TV. It's too bad more companies don't put both versions on the same disc (like with Blade Runner). I couldn't care less if we lose the DVD art.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The Enemy is at the Gates! I bought Cats and Dogs in P & S by mistake and exchanged it and then at Costco wanted to buy Silence of the Lambs - sorry only in P & S! I complained and was told that what J6P wants, J6P gets.

Years ago I bought Ben Hur on VHS and just as the chariot race starts it switches to widescreen - huge difference and this sold me then and there on widescreen.

I don't really care if they sell both as long as they are clearly marked and available. Here we are moving into Superbit while others are going backwards with P & S - go figure.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
97 Posts
For a moment, I have some doubt if I want to watch a 2.35:1 movie on a 4:3 TV. Then I started to remember that I still own a few 2.35:1 LDs that I didn't felt bad watching them on my old 4:3 TV at all.

With my newer 16:9 TV, my choice is obvious especially for anamorphically enhanced DVDs.

For 4:3 TV, it is a choice between seeing the whole picture or seeing a small portion of the picture at higher resolution. The zoom feature available on some DVD players may partially help.

Question - If the DVD is anamorphically enhanced, are these DVD players utilising the data available in 16:9 mode during their zoom function even when playing on a 4:3 TV?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.