AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to buy a P series right now or is a 2015 model around the corner? I hear people talking, and the current P series recently took a price decrease. Also, IPS vs VA? I was looking at the 55" for a grand but I know I won't get the same contrast levels as the 60". Any pros to the IPS panel?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well rumor is April for when Vizio will be announcing new 2015 sets, but I haven't seen a date and even at that you'll probably be waiting a little longer for anything to ship.

IPS= worse blacks but better viewing angles
VA= better blacks but worse viewing angles

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Is it safe to buy a P series right now or is a 2015 model around the corner? I hear people talking, and the current P series recently took a price decrease. Also, IPS vs VA? I was looking at the 55" for a grand but I know I won't get the same contrast levels as the 60". Any pros to the IPS panel?
I do not think You will not get a 2015 P until like September, BUTT Vizio could do some major surprises during the April PR event.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Just to add, I have a 49" M series with IPS panel and with the active LED zones on it definitely helps black levels... and overall contrast ratio, natively is better than LG's. It also gets plenty bright as well and colors are really good... with the P series getting 72 active LED zones it should work even better than mine... IPS is definitely good if not everyone watching can sit right in front of it, the viewing angles are indeed excellent... Also the current P series already supports HEVC for 4k so you should be OK for the future as well, but i'm still curious what comes out this year but that all depends on what your budget is too and what size you need for your viewing distance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pros to the IPS panel are viewing angles. I am about to return my P 70 for something else due to the terrible viewing angles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the P series with the IPS-55". The PQ isn't that great and the up scaling is nothing to write home about. Imo the 65 would be better for PQ. But unless you have access to a lot of 4k content I would hold off on 4k. I just don't see the point of ot yet. Hell, Charter can't even get me channels in 1080p because the boxes aren't available "in my market".
They are dropping the prices so much because they probably aren't selling well. I personally returned my P55 due to a problem with the HDMI 5 port having an issue and no fix in sight. Also, when they do fix the communication problems on that port they may screw up the input lag speed and that's the only port with fast speed.
I went with a 1080p Sony that has a far better picture than the P55 did and it has 23-24 ms lag on all the hdmi ports when in game mode.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
If you view in a dim to bright room, the IPS-based P55 will be a good performer.

If you view in a dark room and seek invisible letterbox bars and inky blacks, a VA-based P-Series such as the P60 would be a better bet.

The 2014 P70 available for $2000 from Costco through the end of March remains one of the best values on today's TV market. The 2015 P-Series scheduled to be announced next month is likely to add support for HDR but is unlikely to fully support the requisite peak brightness of 1000 or even 800 Nits and will probably not be available until the weeks before Black Friday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you view in a dim to bright room, the IPS-based P55 will be a good performer.

If you view in a dark room and seek invisible letterbox bars and inky blacks, a VA-based P-Series such as the P60 would be a better bet.

The 2014 P70 available for $2000 from Costco through the end of March remains one of the best values on today's TV market. The 2015 P-Series scheduled to be announced next month is likely to add support for HDR but is unlikely to fully support the requisite peak brightness of 1000 or even 800 Nits and will probably not be available until the weeks before Black Friday.
Just pulled the trigger on the P60 but after seeing your comment I might as well go back for the p70 huh?. I know i am going to regret it later if I don't pick it up for that price.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on the P60 but after seeing your comment I might as well go back for the p70 huh?. I know i am going to regret it later if I don't pick it up for that price.
If you've got space for the 70, you won't regret it. If you've already unboxed the P60, you may want to play with it for a bit before boxing it up for exchange. You will find basic and advanced settings for the P60 on the P-Series calibration thread, and since both the P60 and P70 are based on Sharp panels, performance is very, very similar...

The discounted price on the P70 will be available until the end of the month...

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you've got space for the 70, you won't regret it. If you've already unboxed the P60, you may want to play with it for a bit before boxing it up for exchange. You will find basic and advanced settings for the P60 on the P-Series calibration thread, and since both the P60 and P70 are based on Sharp panels, performance is very, very similar...

The discounted price on the P70 will be available until the end of the month...
Yeah I am going to bring this convo over to the calibration thread. My set needs some help.

I really want to just get it dialed in by someone with experience from my area. I am really impressed with the input lag and 1080p performance which was the most important for me when purchasing this set.

One last question which would probably apply to this thread.
Can we expect retail price to get even lower than March Madness sales we are seeing now?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts