AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been swearing by using a P4 Retail HSF(running on 5v) with my 2.0a for the last 4 months till last night. I was running my HTPC, while watching a recording from my HiPix and all of a sudden, the HTPC shuts down. Strange I think, so I fired it back up only for it to shut off a few seconds later, now I am thinking maybe a bad PSU? Nope, I opened up the case and when I felt the heatsink on the p4, it was VERY hot, I never had ANY problems prior that I was aware of except the other day when I had a recording set with the HiPix and I noticed that the HTPC was off, hmmm I thought and fired it back up and resumed the recording (it must have been doing it that nite also). So today, I went in and removed the Retail HSF and to my surprise, the CPU pulled out with it, even though the lever was in the locked position on the motherboard, the CPU was bonded to the retail HSF via Arctic Silver 3 and I had to use a screwdriver to pry it off !!

Well, luckily, the cpu and motherboard was not damaged and I changed the retail HSF to the AVC sunflower with a Zalman fan silencer adapter that makes the fan run on 7v (as opposed to 5v that I was running the retail HSF on before) plus this HSF is much better with a solid copper base. Looks like free is not always good and I figured that I would give a HEADS UP to all the people that used my advice regarding the retail HSF in the past.

Jim

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I had the same experience recently - I pulled out the heatsink and the P4 came out, despite the locked socket lever. I also used Arctic Silver 3. I was lucky that the processor's pins were not damaged. I had to pry off the P4!

The P4 has very easy to damage pins. That is why Intel is changing the next P4 processor, Prescott in 2004, to no longer have pins on the processor (they will use special sockets and the processor will have flatter pads instead of pins).

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump so more peeps get the warning, don't let this happen to you...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.