AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When viewing movie credits from a Denon DVD1600 using Tributaries component cables connected directly to the plasma, I notice what appears to be “dot crawl†as the credits scroll up. The lettering is not solid and appears to have movement within the lettering. The plasma is set to Zoom1/Fine mode for the 2:35:1 movie (The Bourne Identity) and the DVD1600 is set to progressive. Switching the DVD to normal yields the same result. When viewing a 4:3 movie in Wide1/Fine mode on digital channel 210 (Encore) using a direct s-video (Triburtaies) connect between the cable box and the plasma, the lettering remains solid when scrolling.

Any thoughts as to why this occurs and what, if anything, can be done to correct it?

Pete...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Anyone else see this? Anyone know what's going on?

I assume that some amount of dot crawl is normal for plasmas when displaying an analog signal. But how much is too much?

·
Registered
33,595 Posts
Pete, I think the fact that you have seen perfect scrolling in other scenario's makes me think it is not the plasma but rather in the source or in your DVD setup. What happens when you play the credits of other movies in the same DVD setup? Never ever assume you have an equipment problem until you can rule out the source. If you get this with every DVD, then it's not source related and you'd next look in to your DVD setup. Again, the fact that you don't see it in other scenarios makes me believe it's not the plasma.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken,

Thanks for the info. I haven't noticed it on other DVDs, so it is probably this particular disc.

Pete...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Pete,

I've noticed others consider the Fine mode a 'torch' mode and are using the Static mode. Have you been switching back and forth between modes by any chance? The comments were that they had to dial back the Fine mode and by the time thry got it were it looked good it was close to the Static mode so they weren't fooling with Fine anymore.

jack

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jack,

I watch most programming in Static/Fine mode (select Static in the setup and Fine on the remote). It seems to yield a slightly softer picture, more movie like, especially on analog cable channels by masking some of the blooming that I see in other modes at my current settings (Sharpness -8, Brightness -10, Contrast -8). I haven't played with the other settings too much since I have a picture I like, nor have I purchased Avia to do fine tuning. I have read on this forum that Avia is more for projection sets and doesn't do much for plasmas.

I am sure as time passes I will fiddle with the various settings and memories, tweaking this and that, but right now I am just enjoying this wonderful technology. And I am sure you will as well.

Pete...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.