AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my plasma is up and running. It was purchased from Tony Short at Sights and Sounds, a new B&M in Williamsburg (highly recommended by the way). It took a week from order to install. Two major reasons for buying this model: picture quality and warranty.

My system consists of a Denon AVR3803 fed by a Denon DVD1600 and a Motorola digital cable box, all housed in a Lovan Sovereign AVR rack. The speakers are Phase Technology 33.1 (center), 2.1 (front), 1.1 (rear), and Power 10 (sub). All video is connected directly to the plasma: digital cable box via s-video, DVD via component.

The panel and stand were well packed. Instructions and manual seem well written and easy to understand. It looks good even turned off. I would prefer a charcoal colored bezel to go with the rest of my components, but the silver finish is subtle and not overpowering. The Fujitsu table stand (P-TT4200-S) is not as sturdy as I expected for the price paid, but looks nice and compliments the overall appearance of the plasma. It has a textured glass shelf that is flush with the bottom supports which gives it a touch of class. This stand is intended for the P50 as well, so there should be no stability issues with a P42. Fujitsu recommends securing the stand to the equipment rack surface with supplied screws if the environment is prone to knocking it over (i.e., children) or earthquakes.

The unit gets warm on the top which is expected, but is well ventilated. Overheating shouldn’t be a problem as long as proper clearances are maintained. No dead or stuck pixels noticed, and no noticeable screen door effect at 10’ viewing distance. A slight hum can be heard from the right rear of cabinet (similar to a fluorescent light), but is noticeable only up close with audio muted. The unit has a built-in audio amplifier which I will not use, so all audio settings are zeroed to put less stress on the internal electronics. Menus are logical with easy setup. I like the many available viewing modes and image placement adjustments.

Digital cable channels (no HBO, Showtime, etc.) display varying picture quality depending on channel (GIGO), which is the consensus from what I’ve read. Overall picture quality is quite good, much better than I expected. Compression artifacts are noticeable at times on scenes with background movement (i.e., leaves blowing in the breeze) or solid color backgrounds (i.e., underwater) on channels above 100. Again, it varies from channel to channel, program to program. I am sure more tweaking will show improvements. DVDs are outstanding. Colors are vivid, dark scenes show good detail, and no distracting motion artifacts. Distortion at the vertical edges is hardly noticeable when viewing 4:3 in Wide1 mode. I do see a problem with what I believe is “dot crawl†on scrolling movie credits which is addressed in another thread. No HDTV yet. Cox is dragging its feet bringing it online, so I may go with DirecTV if my patience runs out with Cox.

I haven’t calibrated with Avia yet. Would be interested in hearing from others on their settings.

Pete...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pete, Congrats on the new addition. Nice write-up.

HAve the same set & bounced around with settings week as struggled to find something that would hold up for most of the cable channels. One of the senior members here was nice enough to share his 50" settings that i used as a starting point, have Video Essentials so can't set a white level due to no blooming. He was using static mode.

R 220

G 252

B 215

Brightness @ -10.

From having a HD RPT professionally calibrated previously, have gotten used to a darker picture so i'm down to -14 brightness. Looks like it has me to a spot where i'm not constantly tweaking whenever changing channels. A number of folks were over yesterday and thought SD looked fantastic on the premium channels. Should have seen their faces when we turned on HBO-HD. Let us know where you end up on settings.

greg

·
Registered
465 Posts
What connectors are on this unit? BNC or RCA? If I'm not mistaken the 4233 had BNC but I can't find any info on the new models. Thanks.

jack

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jack,

Composite and component(2) are RCA. The RGB1/DVI-D is 24-pin, RGB2 is 15-pin, RS-232C is 9-pin. S-video is standard connector. There are also three RCA audio inputs and two pair of outputs for optional speakers.

Pete...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other thing I've noted is a slight pinkish tinge towards the left side of the screen when the white screen is displayed, but is not noticeable otherwise. I think this was reported by others on the 50" model.

Pete...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mscoins
One other thing I've noted is a slight pinkish tinge towards the left side of the screen when the white screen is displayed, but is not noticeable otherwise. I think this was reported by others on the 50" model.

Pete...
Fujitsu claims this isn't normal but so far I haven't seen one post where someone didn't have it. I know I do. Reportedly, it diminishes over time. Doesn't appear to be present when viewing anything thru the inputs though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.