AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering buying the P46S1 because of a recent discount. However, I just found out that I can pre-order the 2010 series 46" S2 for just $160 more. I'm wondering if it's worth it (for that same amount I can get a 46" G10...).

There's also the concern that the S2 hasn't actually been reviewed as it hasn't been released.

One reason I'm considering it is to avoid the whole "doubling black levels" issue, but that's really not a big concern in my mind.

Comparing the two side by side, I see:

S2 has a native: 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio whereas the S1 has a 40,000:1. Could the two really differ that much? And is that worth the extra money?

The Panasonic site doesn't state the resolution for the S2 (N/A). I assume, though, that it's 1080p. It doesn't state the pixel pitch, either.

It supports 3D color management, which the S1 doesn't. What is this? Should I care?

It does claim to have a significantly lower power consumption (331 vs 556 W). Also is a bit lighter.

A bit about myself: Never owned a HD TV before. I am somewhat picky about colors, etc, but I don't see myself obsessing too much over these things. I want "pretty good", not necessarily "best possible" colors. I assume that coming from the CRT world, I'm bound to like the S1/S2?

So: Ideas if I should just go for the S1 now? Preorder the S2? Ditch both and get the G10 now? The only two things going for the S2 right now are the higher contrast ratio, and the possibility that it won't have the black lighting flaw - and I'm not sure if I should give more weight to either. And the S2 has not yet been tested...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,328 Posts
S2.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleB /forum/post/18137213

S2 has a native: 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio whereas the S1 has a 40,000:1. Could the two really differ that much? And is that worth the extra money?

from my understanding, the contrast numbers are a load of bull. The new model might be better, but you cant compare the two effectively

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I wasn't clear.

I'm going to buy one in the next few weeks. The deal I have for the S2 is likely pre-order only, so waiting till it comes out is not an option - it will be more expensive then. I either pre-order it now, buy the G10 now (which no one over here has recommended), or buy the S1 now.

I can certainly hope the black levels issue is resolved, but it'll take too long to find out.

Right now, I'm leaning towards just ordering the S1. While pre-ordering the S2 isn't that much more expensive, it's unclear whether it will be that much better - especially if the consensus here is that the contrast ratio claims are not a big factor.

·
Banned
5,511 Posts
Just bought a 58" S2 for 1.5K, you cant beat these prices. Always get the newest model, and the largest screen you can afford or that suits your room.

I opted for the lower end S2, and have been talked into a DVDO iScan Duo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.