Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do about this ??

I am trying to install a P4 motherboard... When it got to be time to fit the cooling support around the processor it is obvious that there should be more 'mounts' through the MB into the case around the processor...

Is it safe to find some suitable sized bolts and apply rubber washers on the reverse of the MB and simply clamp it to the MB ?? Does this put too much strain on the MB and leave the processor sitting heavy on the motherboard ??

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi PP:

___What kind of CPU F/HS combo are you trying to install? Given the foot print of the P4’s cooling mounts on all P4 based boards I have seen, I have not heard of any solution not working. Even the monster large Alpha PAL8942 fits nicely although the Caps and ATX connectors on the sides are close using an MSI 845G, P4B266/533, I850-T, and P4S533.

___As far as isolating the mounts, the latest Alpha’s are coming with metal flanged nuts (much better setup than the older plastic nuts) attached to the pass-thru standoffs with simple plastic washers for isolation on both sides of the board if that helps.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a P4 board going into an Antec 780 case (finally found all the bits for Kieths masterpiece) but the MB mounts are only supporting the motherboard edges and two middle posts... Around the processor there are no supporting posts from the case that line up with the processor holes..

The manual with the motherboard states that 'all cases that support P4 will have these mounting posts' and lots of warnings about if it does not have them its not compatible... I can see this case has only the 'standard ATX' motherboard mounts and not the processor mounts... I am thinking that just applying a little DIY and mounting some screws through the motherboard would suffice but as its holding a pretty beefy zalman P4 fan I could see some 'stress' implications....

I am sure others have put P4 systems into these cases ?? Am I just being a worryer ??

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi PP:

___Ok, now I know what you are speaking of … Don’t worry, as long as you have the standoff’s under all the std. MB mounting holes, you do not need to worry about the posts directly under the CPU. This was a warning many board makers included when the P4 was just released but was proven to be a little conservative after. You are not using a socket 423 board by chance, are you?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No this one is a 478 but funny you should say that as I have a 423 board (intel 850GB IIRC) with some RDRam sticks and processor coming my way as a company perk... I will use this to make my raid server with instead of the P166 with 98Lite as this will not run the Media Jukebox 'server' as its too wimpy... I had thought a 166 would suffice as basically a networked hard drive but I am getting the upgrade for nothing so !!!

The component selection is not ideal and sounded horibbly expensive for what it was but looking into the mouths of gift horses and all that !!!

Is there a problem with 423 mounting ?? I dont know what case I could get it into (really would like a super small case but need the 4 or 5 HD's in there) I would splash out on the Coolermaster 600 (they have all silver versions locally) but thats a mATX board so thats out... I have too much happening at once with these really :D!!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
My case has teh holes, but I don't use them (Intel D850MV board with S478 P4 1.6 chip). My new case design will have them 'just in case', but I've never seen them used.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The reason why there are no standoffs under the processor mount is that the heatsink mounting system for P4s will flex the motherboard quite a bit.

I'm not kidding...several millimeters.

It all works, no matter how bad it looks when you're installing one. First time I dealt with a P4 board, I had to look really closely at it because I thought something had to be wrong.

Nope, the heatsink was sitting nicely on top of the processor, no problem. And nothing in hades is going to cause that heatsink to fall.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi PP:

___In some of the early P4 boards (Asus I850’s), there was a stack of rectangular pads that were supposed to be placed directly under the board where the P4 chip sat and on those cases that did not have the P4 support directly … After hundreds of thousands of boards in use however, it apparently was determined that the 4 and 6 layer boards could easily handle the larger P4 HS’s weight distributed over the 4 posts without underlying support. In other words, you should feel the Alpha on top of my 1.6A … It feels like a 12 lb. shotput and works just fine ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.