AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with the thought of using pro cinema speakers in a home cinema for a long time! And by looking at some threads on this forum the result should be pretty impressive.

But i was wondering what the result would be if 5 or 7 of the following speakers were used in a home cinema?

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...x?PId=87&MId=3

I know it is not hifi-speakers or anything like that, but we are talking high sensitivity and compression drivers, so dynamics should be present.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Those are for sound reinforcement, and they give up frequency response in order to play loud. They're great products for the appropriate use, but they're down 10 dB at 38 Hz and 10 dB at 16 kHz. In other words, no low bass at all, and probably nothing much above 13 kHz.

If I still had a band and I was working smaller venues, they'd make decent PA speakers, or great drum monitors.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen /forum/post/15465942

I have been playing with the thought of using pro cinema speakers in a home cinema for a long time! And by looking at some threads on this forum the result should be pretty impressive.

But i was wondering what the result would be if 5 or 7 of the following speakers were used in a home cinema?

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...x?PId=87&MId=3

I know it is not hifi-speakers or anything like that, but we are talking high sensitivity and compression drivers, so dynamics should be present.

I think they will offer more impact than most hi-fi products and will be impressive in HT with a good sub to complement. I'd say go with pro-sound for big home cinema.

·
Registered
20,245 Posts
I use cinema speakers and they work great. I use the jbl 3622n's and I don't miss anything up high and I crossover to 80hz to my subs. I have owned M&K speakers, The best being the 5000thx system, The Klipsch THX ultra 2 system, and the JTR triple 8 system. These are awesome systems and probably more than most people need. My JBL pro system has more dynamics, a much bigger soundstage, and more resolution than all. This will not be true for all rooms, I just got lucky. I am currently thinking about trying out some Maggies as they do sound fantastic but would lack some dynamics. I have great amps that could drive them but I am still skeptical. Paul, What do you think, can this be pulled off?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well I run a set of B52's for my mains and I love them but you need to have enough power to make them really shine. I run all pro amps for my whole system so I don't have to worry about enough power. I wouldn't however run them for my entire system I think true surround speakers made for that reason work best,IMO.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm listening on this one - have the same thoughts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've always thought that these pro PA speakers *should* sound fantastic in a HT system. I brought it up in another thread and was basically recommended not to do it, so I'm currently experimenting with some big active studio monitors.

Of course, I'm still curious about the PA speakers though, because as mentioned, they are very similar to purpose-made cinema speakers in their output and design.

There was an article from someone who tested various pro audio speakers in a HT setting, including PA's and cinema speakers, and he didn't like the PA's. I don't have the link handy at the moment but I'll post it up later when I find it. And naturally, there could be a number of things that caused them to sound bad in his situation so who knows???

Interesting topic though, and I hope more people add their thoughts.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Look at Mackie in your search. They're THX certified so they'll most likely be enough for your room. Flexible setup options too.

If your budget allows, check out Genelec studio monitors too.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have extensive use in JBL Pro equipment (mobile) in and out of home environments.

First and foremost, I wouldn't recommend the JRX series to anyone planning to use inside of a home. They are harsh sounding and are the entry line for a reason.

I do however recommend the MRX500 or SRX700. I personally use the MRX 525s and 528S' for my mobile rig. I do use them in my once home theater room as well. They are fantastic sounding speakers for anything. They're extremely neutral and transparent, as well as revealing. There really is nothing to complain about. I've gone through many home audio speakers and none really match these in output nor sound quality.

The SRX700 is great and everything, but really I wouldn't even use it. The only thing I'd consider from that line would be the dual 18" sub, fantastic unit. The dispersion pattern from the SRX725 just doesn't equal what two MRX525s next to each other would. If I had limited transport space and needed wide dispersion, I'd get an SRX725 per side, otherwise 2x MRX525s per side would be better.

Take a look at the patterns on all of them as well as the spec sheets, JBL is very thorough and extensive in everything. They really tell you what you're getting in the spec sheets.

I recommend getting the MRX512s instead of the JRX115s if you can afford them. They sound great and go loud if you want them too. Some may say the response up high is bad because they are primarily intended for sound reinforcement, but also realize they are expensive because of their incredible sound quality and accuracy.

Here is my youtube page if you'd like to check out any of my equipment that I've had.
http://www.youtube.com/user/spezzy

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have no problem with PA/pro speakers for use in HT. Especially if you have a big listening area to fill and like high volumes. But the MRX's you reference have a pretty tangy upper midrange peak that isn't very pleasant compared to a regular high quality speaker. Good EQ capabilities will be critical.

The 16-18kHz roll off which is common in PA/Cinema speakers is not as bad as it sounds. The horns have very wide dispersion and especially for home theater use, that >16-18kHz content doesn't jump out as missing like you might think. Remember most simple treble adjustments are centered at 10 or 12kHz.

As has already been noted they will also pound at ~60Hz and above, but output will drop like a stone around 50Hz or so. A good solid purpose built 10" sub will produce more low bass than two 15" PA speakers like this, but it won't pound on drums the same. So you need a sub imho.

Finally, I think 5 or 7 of them would be pretty wasteful. 3 up front with smaller surrounds would be just fine.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare /forum/post/15626567

I have no problem with PA/pro speakers for use in HT. Especially if you have a big listening area to fill and like high volumes. But the MRX's you reference have a pretty tangy upper midrange peak that isn't very pleasant compared to a regular high quality speaker. Good EQ capabilities will be critical.

The 16-18kHz roll off which is common in PA/Cinema speakers is not as bad as it sounds. The horns have very wide dispersion and especially for home theater use, that >16-18kHz content doesn't jump out as missing like you might think. Remember most simple treble adjustments are centered at 10 or 12kHz.

As has already been noted they will also pound at ~60Hz and above, but output will drop like a stone around 50Hz or so. A good solid purpose built 10" sub will produce more low bass than two 15" PA speakers like this, but it won't pound on drums the same. So you need a sub imho.

Finally, I think 5 or 7 of them would be pretty wasteful. 3 up front with smaller surrounds would be just fine.

Noted that myself before buying them.

To my ears they sound better than what I've heard elsewhere. If you heard them in person, I doubt you'd have anything to complain about.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's the link to the review article I mentioned earlier:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/prospeakers.html

I was also just reading some of Mackie's literature on their PA speakers, and a few things popped out that couldn't be more relevant to achieving the awesome HT sound many of us are looking for:

...a dedicated team of engineers set out to create a portable loudspeaker that could deliver studio monitor sound quality. Unlike a relatively small, acoustically controlled studio where the "sweet spot" is well defined, live venues vary greatly, and most are far from acoustically balanced. Despite the challenges, after two years of extensive research and development, the first Sound Reinforcement Monitor was born - a loudspeaker that truly lived up to its name. The SRM350v2 continues the SRM350’s tradition of studio monitor sound quality - and trumps it - to deliver sound that makes any venue seem like a well-tuned studio.

Ultra-Wide Dispersion

Undoubtedly you’ve been to a show where the sound is all over the map - stand in front of the band, it sounds okay, but move a little to your left or right and all of a sudden you’ve got mud in your ears. When the SRM350v2 loudspeakers are on stage, no matter where you stand, you hear sound with impeccable stereo imaging, depth of field and definition - at full-on loudspeaker levels.

Super low distortion thanks to Mackie’s own Class-D, Fast Recovery Amplification With its combination of Class D topology and Fast Recovery circuitry, the SRM350v2 operates with incredible efficiency, and delivers much more power and clarity. With this "Class D Fast Recovery amplification," as we’ve lovingly (and creatively) dubbed the technology, the SRM350v2 handles maximum volume - and associated heat - with ease, so there’s no unwanted noise, and no thermal problems. Even after hours of sustained use at near-peak levels, your sound remains clean and your SRM350v2 keeps cool.

Now I dunno about you guys but those are definitely some things I like in HT speakers.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting links! That filters out the use of the "DJ-like" speakers. But i'm still curious on how it sounds compared to normal hifi-speakers.

In regards to studio monitors, I have listened to them myself. When playing at moderate levels I really liked the sound. (Only heard it with music - not HT). But when the volume became higher they couldn't keep up. So I think the dynamics in HT will be too much for them. Of course the models I heard were not the biggest, but the prices of studio speakers are relatively high compared to PA-speakers so my bank-account can't afford the larger studio speaker

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the problem you will run into is that Pro level reinforcement speakers of even 'B' rig use will be much more expensive than a Home Audio setup that would give you the sound your looking for at the volume you need. I've messed around before and hooked up my QSC HPR153i setup as a front left, front right, center setup and it sounds great but your using almost $4k worth of speakers for the front 3. I've also tried my QSC HPR181i sub for HT and it sucks. Starts to roll off at like 24db per octave at 39hz... meant for music reinforcement not HT. So maybe for the speakers it would work but I'd stick to HT subs for the bass. Most of the plastic JBL stuff is junk - stay away from it. The SRX stuff on the other hand is great. But I'd still look at standard home theater offerings - I prefer using my reg HT speakers to the pro stuff unless I'm doing a movie in the backyard in the summer.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunprophet /forum/post/15630551

I think the problem you will run into is that Pro level reinforcement speakers of even 'B' rig use will be much more expensive than a Home Audio setup that would give you the sound your looking for at the volume you need. I've messed around before and hooked up my QSC HPR153i setup as a front left, front right, center setup and it sounds great but your using almost $4k worth of speakers for the front 3. I've also tried my QSC HPR181i sub for HT and it sucks. Starts to roll off at like 24db per octave at 39hz... meant for music reinforcement not HT. So maybe for the speakers it would work but I'd stick to HT subs for the bass. Most of the plastic JBL stuff is junk - stay away from it. The SRX stuff on the other hand is great. But I'd still look at standard home theater offerings - I prefer using my reg HT speakers to the pro stuff unless I'm doing a movie in the backyard in the summer.

I don't follow your opinion on the price of pro speakers. What i've seen, they are much much cheaper!

But if only the SRX-series and above from JBL are good then the price will come close to home speakers.

But its great with people having actually tried using pro speakers and can share their opinion
I live en Denmark and have asked on multiple forums and people just say its a stupid idea without having tried it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So far dynamics have been great with the monitors I'm trying. Both pairs have 8" drivers and 150 - 225w of active amps (which according to what I've read from most experts you'd need roughly 3-4x the power in a passive design to match it). Granted the room I'm currently set-up in is only 1000 cubic feet or so, but these things easily hit 105db peaks at -15 or so volume on my receiver (calibrated to THX reference at 0). They have tons of headroom and play with absolute clarity and zero distortion.

(Try some bigger, better amp'ed monitors and your opinion will likely change. Focal Solo 6, Mackie HR624/824, Blue Sky One, Dynaudio, Genelec, JBL and others make some popular choices for studio monitors used for HT. Heck, even the $450CAD/pr Behringer 2031A's are proving to be one heck of a good speaker.)

I'm very curious what the better amp, 8.75" woofer and better design of the Mackie HR824's sound like though. 5 or 7 of these would light it up in even fairly large rooms with awesome sound, crossed over at 80Hz and coupled with a good sub. They won't get to the dynamic level of something like the JTR Triple 8, but once you factor in the powerful built-in amps, they're also only 1/4 the price for a VERY good HT speaker.

So far I'm sold on this stuff, and will probably never venture back into "hi-fi" gear. Pro audio all the way. And if I'm this impressed with the entry level pro gear, I can only imagine what stuff like the JTR's, Danley's, JBL Cinema, Electrovoice Cinema, Genelec (etc) sounds like!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslbebiz /forum/post/15631399

So far dynamics have been great with the monitors I'm trying. Both pairs have 8" drivers and 150 - 225w of active amps (which according to what I've read from most experts you'd need roughly 3-4x the power in a passive design to match it). Granted the room I'm currently set-up in is only 1000 cubic feet or so, but these things easily hit 105db peaks at -15 or so volume on my receiver (calibrated to THX reference at 0). They have tons of headroom and play with absolute clarity and zero distortion.

(Try some bigger, better amp'ed monitors and your opinion will likely change. Focal Solo 6, Mackie HR624/824, Blue Sky One, Dynaudio, Genelec, JBL and others make some popular choices for studio monitors used for HT. Heck, even the $450CAD/pr Behringer 2031A's are proving to be one heck of a good speaker.)

I'm very curious what the better amp, 8.75" woofer and better design of the Mackie HR824's sound like though. 5 or 7 of these would light it up in even fairly large rooms with awesome sound, crossed over at 80Hz and coupled with a good sub. They won't get to the dynamic level of something like the JTR Triple 8, but once you factor in the powerful built-in amps, they're also only 1/4 the price for a VERY good HT speaker.

So far I'm sold on this stuff, and will probably never venture back into "hi-fi" gear. Pro audio all the way. And if I'm this impressed with the entry level pro gear, I can only imagine what stuff like the JTR's, Danley's, JBL Cinema, Electrovoice Cinema, Genelec (etc) sounds like!!

I guess I better get out there and hear some more monitors
I have actually heard of the JBL LCR6332 and people says that it is the best sounding speaker in almost every price range. Unfortunately I haven't heard them myself. But they are a bit pricey.

But aren't monitors designed for near-field listening in a small room?

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
But aren't monitors designed for near-field listening in a small room?

That's BS. There's a lot of good explanations of why on this forum from people much smarter than me. Just search around for threads on Mackie, studio monitors, active speakers, etc.

Anyone that tells you near-field is a concern probably hasn't heard them.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts