AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I changed over to passive P.A. speakers for the media room (JTR). While they are not terribly pretty to look at.... they are truly the best sounding media speaker I've ever heard. I was wondering how cheaper designs would do. Has tried innexpensive passive P.A. speakers for their home theater? (like the Behringer or the like).

Allan

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 /forum/post/18136260

Last year I changed over to passive P.A. speakers for the media room (JTR). While they are not terribly pretty to look at.... they are truly the best sounding media speaker I've ever heard. I was wondering how cheaper designs would do. Has tried innexpensive passive P.A. speakers for their home theater? (like the Behringer or the like).

Allan

Soundod (JTR, Danley, Behringer & others Dealer) said the Behringer active PA speakers make a good dynamic HT. I think I will stick with the JTR T8's.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
As a retired professional drummer, I used some pretty nice PA equipment over the years, and I have a nice Yamaha drum monitor system for my current Roland TD-20 setup. While the most important criteria for home speakers is fidelity, PA speakers, disco gear, and setups like my drum monitors emphasize different areas of performance. In a nutshell, they have to play loud and not break. Because of that, they may not sound good at low levels, they may have uneven or limited frequency response, or they may scream at you. (Not all, but many.) My Shure earbuds sound absolutely spectacular on my Roland drums, but although the Yamaha monitor plays fairly loud, it is colored and lacks any response over around 8 kHz. It's much nastier than the Shure phones. You don't notice the difference until you actually compare, and then the difference is stunning.

I owned a cut-down pair of Voice of the Theaters for a small jazz/rock trio I had for a few years, and it worked nicely for PA. I brought them home once and hooked them up to my stereo (in 1973) and I expected them to sound better than the Large Advents I had been using. They sounded awful...no bass below 60 Hz, and very metallic and screechy. But the Advents couldn't have played nearly loud enough for PA use. Both were appropriate for different applications.

Think of the differences between consumer and pro speakers as the difference between a car and a truck. They're designed for different workloads. You wouldn't race a dumptruck on a road course, but you wouldn't use a Viper to haul road gravel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul,

Traditionally that line of thought makes good sense.... and I'm certainly not questioning your observations. But, just like mjg100, I switched over to a triple 8 based system. These were genuinely designed (in my understanding) as a P.A. speaker. They are definitely the best sounding media speaker that I have personally heard. This observation lends itself to the question. How the innexpensive passive P.A. speakers (which seem readily available) would compare to some of the more budget minded home theater speakers.

Allan

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'd say it's a good idea to take a look at the frequency response graph before one decides to buy one. Most budget ones don't come with a FR graph. It's also a good idea to read about the angle of the horns. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.