AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received this edited post (reportedly from Electronic Media, March 5. p14) from an AVS contributor who wishes to remain anonymous. I can't verify its accuracy but thought it of interest to HDTV fans.

WPIX-TV is based in the Daily News building at 42nd Street and Second Avenue in Manhattan. But the Tribune Co.-owned WB station can clearly cover news live from as far away as the tip of Long Island,

Poughkeepsie, N.Y., Atlantic City, N.J., and out west to the Poconos in Pennsylvania, thanks to its new all-digital news helicopter. It was the sweet culmination of a two-year project to get multipath-free reception with perfectly clear video and audio. .....

"There was a crystal-clear picture to viewers at home the first day out, so we tried some distance shots," recalled WPIX Engineering Manager Ralph Augenfeld. "We went up the Hudson River almost 50 miles without breakup, refueled and went west to the Delaware Water Gap (Pennsylvania border) and over a mountain range to a Pocono ski resort (about 80 miles west of the receiver site). And that's air miles - which doubled to tripled our traditional distance."

The next day was even better. Air 11 headed east to the tip of Long Island, about 110 miles (98 air miles away) to the Montauk Point lighthouse, catching sight of Connecticut across the Long Island Sound. According to Mr Gano, "We ran out of Long Island before we ran out of signal."

Both Mr Gano and Mr Augenfeld attribute much of their success to COFDM, a transmission technique that splits bandwidth into many narrow sub-band channels, which are then modulated by a low-rate data stream.

"One of the main advantages of COFDM vs. analog FM is that all the ghosts are eaten up like Pac-Man," Mr Augenfeld said. "What normally added noise to the picture - signals arriving late to the receiver due to bounces off the millions of obstructions from the Manhattan skyline - are now all added together to improve the picture. Each bounce actually gives you more signal energy."

In addition to improving the picture, COFDM also calmed the fear or running out of microwave bandwidth, which has nagged broadcasters for the past couple of years.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
At least the other bob had the decency to go away. Now will this bob STOP being a pain in the butt and get the hell out of this forum already? All the two bobs have accomplished here is to turn more people off to cofdm. If these two bobs are representatives of the people who support cofdm, cofdm surely is a disaster and deserves the rejection it has received. Please go away already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're driving everyone nuts with your daily new threads about something only two bobs want!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

(The original Jerry G, not the new member named Jerry_G)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bob,

The People have spoken!

You may wish to expouse a differing opinion..........just don't do it here.

I think you have a modicum of intelligence, why not use it.

Referencing HD reception to Pac Man (BTW I love Ms. Pac and HATE HATE HATE your usage of PacMan to further your inane argument) http://www.basementarcade.com/arcade...man/msmain.gif

could be analogous to using the arcade game Area 51 http://www.klov.com/images/A/sArea_51.jpg as proof that alien reception of Cofdom is much superior to 8VSB.

Please don't go away mad, just go away.

------------------

THE WALKING DUDE

·
Registered
276 Posts
it IS Bob Utne, The COFDM nutjob. I actually saw other postings on OTHER subjects from the clown and I almost pee'd in my pants in utter surprise, he didnt mention cofdm ONCE in those posts, but wouldn't you know it, his true colors have to show up eventually. A dedicated topic on COFDM.

Hahaha On a side note, I think all of us should uniquely numbered limited edition life size Bob Utne rag dolls with the word COFDM on his shirt that we can hang up in the corners of our home theaters and just WACK AT with a stick every time we get frustrated with the progress of HDTV http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif What an idea! :p

"480P? YOURE BROADCASTING IN 480P AND YOU CALL THAT HDTV??!! TAKE THAT BOB UTNE, COFDM THIS!!" *SMACK* *WHACK* *THUMP*

[This message has been edited by dpak2000 (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
362 Posts
Is this guy still carrying that dead fish around? Unbelievable!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Hey dpak,

Why not a two headed wacker? We'd call it "the two bobs". Whenever we hear the word "cofdm" we SMACK, WHACK, AND THUMP the two bobs. I'd pay a bunch for such a toy. And between this forum and the newsgroups, we could sell a bunch of these. The bobs have pissed off and annoyed a lot of folks.

------------------

(The original Jerry G, not the new member named Jerry_G)

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll take a dozen!

I didn't see any HDTV in Germany and Austria last week but neither did all but about 50,000 American households see any HDTV in the US.

Interesting that in Italy they plan to totally convert to DTV by 2006 (when the analog spectrum will be returned by the Italian broadcasters) with the government helping to subsidize the sale of digital STBs to those needing financial assistance. Might be a solution worth considering here what with the tens if not hundreds of billion $ of spectrum space tied up with our dual (ATSC and NTSC) systems.

I have no financial interests in COFDM. I do have financial interests in the most rapid implementation of HDTV within the US and the rest of the world, ASAP.

·
Registered
407 Posts
MMafia,

That is what I hear also. It is like the teacher in the Peanuts comic with a few COFDM thrown in.

-Brett

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think the operative words in the article are: "low rate data into many channels" Sounds like what the COFDM shills are performing!

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
COFDM shill? Nope. More likely that the extreme, personal attackers on here have been co-opted by Zenith/LGE to make certain that early adopters (and newbies) toe the 8-VSB BS line.

·
Registered
772 Posts
oh my god!!! he found out!

quick! call Zenith/LGE and tell them that our secret scheme is no longer a secret!

.... and stop leading the *newbies* like blind sheep!

MMafia

·
Registered
362 Posts
Save your breath friends. You cannot reason with a man who's in love with a dead fish.

Cheers. M.Hat.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dead fish, Mad Hatter? Last time I looked, they were swimming live and well all around our borders.

Let's get serious. Who, today, depends on OTA TV? More than likely, it's your grandparents on fixed income, an inner city struggler or a very infrequent TV viewer. With the present OTA digital transmission model, they are highly unlikely to convert to DTV unless its about an $100 upgrade, easily installed (STB and rabbit ears) and works.

Does 8-VSB offer these OTA TV viewers a DTV solution?

Fact is, the only purchasers of 8-VSB STBs and HDTVs are those that can readily afford either HDTV-quality, DBS or cable transmissions. Once available, they have a ready HDTV solution. Not so your grandparents.

So, we will be stuck with both NTSC and ATSC for decades....as long as we have LGE's 8-VSB as our OTA transmission standard.

With the rest of the world testing and discarding 8-VSB, one wonders why we have accepted this provenly inferior DTV transmission standard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.