AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an FYI post. I have a Panasonic 50LC13 and everything had been working great with the DVI connection from the Pace DC550P provided by Time Warner. About a week ago I began losing the video and receiving a message that said my tv did not support HDCP and I needed to use component cables. I wanted to let everyone know the scoop from Time Warner:

Pace Micro Technology Americas

DVI/HDCP Update

Pace has currently released software version 1.301.2.12 to SARA sites. Under this release, the DVI/HDCP implementation that was described in Time Warner Corporate Memo titled "DVI Implementation - High Definition Set Top Boxes" has been implemented. However, in certain televisions that are labeled as HDCP compatible, Pace has observed some television specific issues. Currently, Pace believes that our DVI/HDCP implementation is within spec, but these issues could be related to either a particular television's implementation of HDCP or other issues such as Data Corruption when sent from a particular television. In Pace's preliminary analysis, the following Televisions have exhibited the following Symptoms.

Manufacturer

Model Number

Symptom

Sony

34AZXVR910

After some power downs and power ups, the HDCP connection is lost between the Pace 550 and the Television.

Samsung

HLN617W

Never Display Video from DVI port. (Could be HDCP Compatibility issue with the Television.)

Samsung

HLN4365W

While using DVI to watch cable channels, the subscriber switches to a DVD using Component output. After the switch back, the black screen with the incompatibility message is displayed.

Mitsubishi

WS-65413

Television does not pass EDID data.

Panasonic

PT50LC13

Television intermittently drops the video and shows the message on the DVI connection.

The current work around for these particular television models is to merely use the component output. Due to the large number of television types, Pace is still collecting more data from sites to determine more issues if any may arise. However, due to the large number of televisions, Pace does not anticipate testing all televisions for DVI/HDCP compatibility. This is an issue from the manufacturer itself. They are currently working on the problem. Until further notice, component video cables need to be used.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm often, but not always, having the same problem with my sony GWIII KF42WE610. A re-boot or power cycle with the tv left on will clear it, but that's not going to cut it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Time Warner gave you a more coherent explanation than they provided to me. I called because I had been using the Pace's DVI output on my Mits 65813 with no problems for several weeks when suddenly one day I started getting a message about the device not being HDCP compatible. The rep on the phone told me that they had disabled the DVI output because of piracy concerns and would never turn it back on. I tried to explain that made no sense since the whole intention of incorporating HDCP on the interface was to prevent these problems. Fortunately, a tech came out last week to check on a signal level issue and he told me something similar to what you heard about certain TVs having problems. I hope they come up with a resolution soon since I could see a difference even on my CRT based TV. Overall I am happy with Time Warner SA if we could just get ESPN and Fox.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Websgt,

My workaround is to now reboot (unplug) the Pace box with my tv on. It seems to work until the next time I turn the tv off. Hopefully I'll be able to make it through the whole Super Bowl. I'd hate to have it give the HDCP message during the commercials! That's probably the only time I'll ever say that. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Sony KP-57WS510 and Pace DC-550 connected via DVI. I've been using that interface for the past few months after I picked up the STB from BrightHouse here in Tampa. After the Pace software update I, too, got the HDCP error message.

I've found that if I just turn the TV on BEFORE the STB I can avoid the error. (I had been using the convenient "system power" button on my cable remote which turns on the STB first.) Seems to me the Pace is expecting certain signals/responses from the TV that it doesn't get unless the TV has already been powered up. I wonder if the "fix" would be as simple as introducing a short delay in the PACE HDCP powerup sequence to allow the TV time to initialize?

- Michael

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I have been bitten by this. I have a Mits WS-65513 and I get the same error message. I just got my box from Brighthouse here in Central Florida. Oh well, I guess I will return my DVI cable until they fix it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is an response I got from Pace...

This is a known problem that stems from the fact the Mitsubishi HDTV doesn't start the HDCP negotiation process in the time frame allotted by the HDCP spec. There will be a new software release available that extends the time that the Pace 550 will wait to start the negotiation process. This should be available by the end of February.

Regards,

Pace Customer Support

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.