AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The game looks amazing, esp. when they show the wide shot! One of the best HD broadcasts I have seen yet.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
'Cause I am quite underwhelmed with this broadcast so far.

Maybe it has to do with it being on the 'main' D* bird and overcompressed a bit, but the PQ is quite poor during fast-motion sequences. In fact, sometimes when players make a quick/strong move to the basket, the picture blurs so badly it looks like it is literally changing between 1080i 16:9 and 480P 16:9 right then and there.

But, as mentioned before, it could very well be my system and/or eyes deceiving me.

Also, a bit of a side-rant; why do the sponsors feel it necessary to push the fact that the game is in HD on us by running commercials about it?? We know its HD, that's why we're watching it. Run the danged HD commercials on the regular broadcast to promote the fact that more people could be watching the playoffs in HD. We don't need reminding if we're watching it at the time.

If you're gonna promote the fact that another game(s) is gonna be in HD at a later time, that's different, but is it really necessary to tell us HD viewers that the game is in HD when the main score/time graphic on the broadcast has 'in HD' right on it. I'd rather have the non-HDTV viewers being bombarded with the 'HD commercials', rather than those of us who already watching in HD.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No HDTVwannabe, I'm watching it on Time Warner cable NY and what I'm seeing is the picture goes "soft" on quick movements. I have not seen this happen in any of the other basketball games I've seen, it is quite annoying.

And you're right about these sponsors babbling about how the game is being broadcast in HD....No sh!t. They would be better off talking about it and showing it, like they just did earlier today on TNT during the Spurs and Suns game.

Morris

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Those guys put a lot of money in to HD. If they want to blow their own horn and advertise HD, then go right ahead.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The PQ looks good to me. The colors are vivid and the players stand out especially when they show a picture of the fans in the background. It looks great to me.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Guess maybe I'm just spoiled - and maybe cause I would usually watch college bball than NBA - but I remember watching a few college games being broadcast in HD on HDNet, one or two was actually right there in Conseco Fieldhouse for the John Wooden Tradition (or something like that) and the difference between those broadcasts' PQ and tonight's are VASTLY different.

The HDNet college bball broadcasts were always sharp and never lost focus so bad on fast-motion sequences that it looked like it was switching instantly from HD to analog to back again right in front of my eyes.

(They're showing a replay of the Slam-Dunk comp during halftime and you can still see a little bit of 'softening' during the slam sequences, but its overall much better than the whole first half of the Celts-Pacers game so far. Ahh, spoke to fast, it does blur real badly, like the rest of tonight's broadcast, during the full-court shots, right before the competitor slams it home. But the rest of it looks really good. Not sure I can say the same for the game that's at halftime right now.)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm watching on Dish ch. 9425 and so far, everything is solid, even the flying "NBA-TV" logo. On my CBS affiliate, something like that would break into blocks. Sound is another matter. It's like the CBS NCAA broadcasts, with the crowd noise overpowering the announcers.

Go Pacers!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat
I'm watching on Dish ch. 9425 and so far, everything is solid, even the flying "NBA-TV" logo. On my CBS affiliate, something like that would break into blocks. Sound is another matter. It's like the CBS NCAA broadcasts, with the crowd noise overpowering the announcers.

Go Pacers!

I am also watching it on dish and feel that is fine except for the score board. Does it look like it is out of focus or are my eyes getting tired (from the hard day)?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by motjes2
I am also watching it on dish and feel that is fine except for the score board. Does it look like it is out of focus or are my eyes getting tired (from the hard day)?
Yes, the far right side is blurry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey HDTVwannabe, Seeing the same thing here on D*. Glad it's not only me seeing it. Makes me want to grab my glasses during a fast break sequence :)

Everything else looks great. Colors are very vivid and detailed. I'm making my wife watch while I switch between the SD and HD broadcasts. She's even saying 'wow' (gotta love that!)...

-dean

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've watched every hidef NBA game on Dtv and this is by far the worst looking one. The interview with Moses Malone before the game wasn't

very good quality either his check patterned jacket had all kinds of jaggies.

I'm also seeing the blurring during fast motion. If they could get the pic quality as good as the Knicks-Lakers game all the time I would really be satisfied.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I found this game nearly unwatchable due to the ridiculous camera angles that the producers seem to insist on using. Half the time you can't even see who's shooting, and the camera's so far away that it's just difficult to watch.

It seems like every time the Pacers have the ball they either use the camera on the complete opposite side of the court, or the one with 1/3 of the offensive zone missing, and the ref blocking another 1/3 of the picture.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by motjes2
No, it's horribly out-of-focus. Obviously it's not really out-of-focus, they just need to clean their hard drive :rolleyes: I have trouble watching the game at all with that on, it's very distracting!

Jeff

·
Registered
73 Posts
jautor,

What kind of TV are you watching on??

I will give you that the scoreboard is a little soft, but on my TV it did not look that bad. I have a tosh 55.

Ken, what TV are you watching on??

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Samsung 61" DLP (HLM617W). I'm not watching it closely, but PQ looked at least decent, but that scoreboard was awful! The stadium's scoreboards were much clearer, as were the player's jersey numbers!

(and that board is big, too, my eyes kept darting to it because it appears so "out of focus" compared to the rest of the picture)

Jeff

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by morse

And you're right about these sponsors babbling about how the game is being broadcast in HD....No sh!t.

Morris
It was being simulcast in SD (letterboxed) for those without they said at the very beginning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm glad I checked in here.

I too thought that the fast motion was out of focus during the entire game. The only things that looked truly High-Def were the close-ups from under the basket and Aldredge's interviews.

I get the Madison Square Garden high-def of Knick games and this version didn't come close to the quality.

Let's hope Wednesday's game shows improvements

·
Registered
73 Posts
jautor,

Thanks for the feedback. I might have to get a new TV, as I said the scoreboard was not too out of focus for me.

I have a CRT based RPTV, I have worked on the focus, but I know the focus and resolution is not stellar on my set.

Its probably fair to say that your set has very good focus.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.