AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a current NFL Sunday ticket subscriber. I remember the days when we used to pay a little over $100 per season to watch our favorite teams. This year I paid $175 for 16 weeks. And that "bargain" was only for those who "renewed" their last year's subscription, which I did. For first time subscribers the cost for the NFL Sunday Ticket was up around the $200 mark!! WOW!

Let's see, if a family is paying around $40 a month for their sat. service plus an additional $50 a month through the season for NFL Sunday ticket, the total cost per month will be $90. I say OUTRAGEOUS! Every year the prices keep on climbing.

Guys! I'm a fanatic for my NFL team, BUT the pricings are getting way out of line!!! This may be my last year for the NFL Sunday ticket. And it just may be my last year for this sat. service. Someone is making the dough! And man they are digging deeper every year. I think it is uncalled for!

Any thoughts?

HotAhr

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
And what would have been your cost to go to all of the games in-person? How many of those games were not televised on your local channels (DBS or OTA)?

$10-11/game for one to watch seems a little high, but not in comparison to going to the game. And with 2 or more in the room D* is probably thinging its a decent price.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$10 - $11 a game is high! And yes it is less expensive than flying to all 16 games no matter where those games are at, a lot less. True!

But why not offer viewers cost effective options! Remember pay per view? Where did that go as an option? *cash register rings* Or, why not offer a season ticket to an individual's favorite team as one option, and/or a season pass for ALL teams! *cash register rings again* Why? Because the NFL and the sat system provider don't make as much money with those options.

The NFL and the sat. system provider are up-ing the cost every year because "I" will pay for it!! And the costs will continue to go up until the market bottoms out!! I'm curious, what is the cost for the WNBA per week with this service provider? or the NBA per week? or MBL per week?

I'll bet without even looking that the cost of the NFL for "16 weeks" is much greater per week than any of these leagues though their season is longer. Why is that? because we like NFL FOOTBALL! I love my team.

HotAhr

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The cost of all sports packages rose over the past few years, there are many factors involved. The price for the MLS Package actually dropped from $69 for $49 and the WNBA Season Pass is no longer around, at least not on DirecTV anyway. ESPN GamePlan is now $120, where as in 1998 is was $90.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly!!! No WNBA season pass! Bingo! The market has bottomed out.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Guys, while I would love to get the Sunday Ticket for $19.95 (one payment and that is it), its crack of a different quality and they know you want it. If and when the demand drops out the price will follow or it'll go away altogether.

I doubt there ever will be a fair and equitable solution that will make all happy (I'm high maintenance).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep, but just think of all the worthless programming for the masses on channels that very few people watch that you are helping to support!

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Russ, I agree! If PPV was such a big hit why not give up the meat & potato channels and run an all-PPV DBS service? Morality has nothing to do about it. And with that said, why not 100 hi-def adult channels, all PPV even.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The point is "choice"! Not morality! Service for resonable pricing! Options. On second thought, let's just let that ol price keep rising. It doesn't really matter. I'm going to watch a movie!

*grin*

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm truly happy for you.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not interested in the adult channels.

·
Registered
732 Posts
While we are at it, we need to roll back the prices on the BMW I am buying my wife. Why should it cost over twice the price of a KIA? A car is a car. Oh yea, I have a choice. That is what this is all about. You are complaining about the price increase of SundaY Ticket. Don't forget that this a for profit business. DirecTV paid over a Billion dollars for the latest contract. The NFL uses it to pay it's players an ever increasing millions to play.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BMW! Nice! Real Nice! You are correct. It is all about choice!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Guys! I'm a fanatic for my NFL team, BUT the pricings are getting way out of line!!! This may be my last year for the NFL Sunday ticket. And it just may be my last year for this sat. service. Someone is making the dough! And man they are digging deeper every year. I think it is uncalled for!
Hmm. Last year, DirecTV paid the NFL $150 million for Sunday Ticket. This year, the contract was up for renewal, and the NFL forced DirecTV to pay $400 million a year for the next 5 years.

Someone is making the dough. It is the exact same people that have contracts to televise the product every Sunday afternoon. And they make their money from gate receipts, FOX, CBS, ABC, ESPN, and DirecTV.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just subscribed to a C-Band package and what great prices. This package is called Ultraview from NPS programming .

For $259 (limited time) , I am getting just about ALLl the "basic cable" channels available, where as some even have both the East AND West feeds.

And

the SHOWTIME pak, which includes both the analog and a total of 26 digital Showtimes, The Movie Channel, Flix and Sundance. Not bad for about $26 a month, I couldn't believe it.......

C3-101 Showtime East

C3-102 Showtime 2 East

C3-103 Showtime 3 East

C3-104 Showtime Extreme East

C3-105 Showtime Beyond East

C3-110 FLIX East

C3-111 The Movie Channel East

C3-112 The Movie Channel 2 East

C3-117 Sundance Channel East

C3-118 Showtime High Definition East

C3-125 Showtime Next East

C3-126 Showtime Familyzone East