AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Check out our review of this charming family film based on the beloved children's books by Michael Bond. A young Peruvian bear travels to London in search of a home. Finding himself lost and alone at Paddington Station, he meets the kindly Brown family, who offer him a temporary haven.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Anchor Bay/The Weinstein Company - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Family/comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins, Jim Broadbent, Nicole Kidman, Julie Walters, Peter Capaldi, Ben Whishaw
Directed by: Paul King
Music by: Nick Urata
Written by:Hamish McColl, Paul King – Based on the character created by Michael Bond
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 28, 2015

"The adventure begins…"

My Take:

Paddington tells the story of the comic misadventures of a young Peruvian bear who travels to London in search of a home. Finding himself lost and alone, he begins to realize that city life is not all he had imagined until he meets the kindly Brown family who take him home after reading the label around his neck that says “Please look after this bear. Thank you”. It looks as though his luck has changed until this rare talking bear catches the eye of Millicent a museum taxidermist with an axe to grind.

Paddington Bear was first introduced to children in Michael Bond’s 1958 book, A Bear Called Paddington and the subsequent Paddington Bear series has sold over 35 million copies and been translated into 40 languages. For the first time, author Michael Bond has given his blessing for his beloved characters to be brought to the big screen.

Paddington is a film adaptation based on the beloved children’s books by Michael Bond. The film combines a mix of live-action, and computer-generated special effects to create the characters/world featured in the story. I remember Paddington Bear, not so much for me growing up but from when my kids were little. I believe there was a TV series they used to watch. To be honest seeing the trailer for this film didn’t leave me hankering to see it.

After sitting down with it I was pleasantly surprised. It remains faithful to the character while adding a sort of contemporary flavor that rarely feels campy. The fish out of water plot works quite well and the storyline is spirited and appropriately deferent. I found it had just the right amount of heartwarming charm while adding the type of adventure and humor that makes for pitch perfect family entertainment. I rather enjoyed the cast, including the voice performances of Michael Gambon, Imelda Staunton and Ben Whishaw. I wouldn’t say that Paddington is destined to be the next animated film classic but it’s wonderful family fun that fans of the books can share with their children.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild action and rude humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Paddington comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is a great looking video presentation from Anchor Bay on Blu-ray. High level detail is present throughout so that images are rendered with pristine quality. Colors are bright and visually pleasing and fleshtones are naturally rendered with discernible complexional delineation among the various members of the cast. Contrast and black levels are stable with ample depth and perceptible delineation. I didn’t observe any signs of video related anomalies or artifacts. All in all this one shines on Blu-ray.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio presentation renders the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. Dialogue is delivered with appreciable tonal variation and refinement. The surrounds are active at times and used to good effect for front/rear channel pans and reproduction of music related ambience. The mix isn’t very aggressive but does create an enjoyable listening experience that matches the tone of the film.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Meet the characters – 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) When bears come to stay – 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) From page to screen – 3 minute featurette
  • (HD) “Shine” – lyric music video
  • (HD) The making of “Shine” with Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams – 4 minutes
  • Digital HD Copy
  • Bonus DVD

Final Thoughts:

Paddington is a film adaptation based on the beloved children’s books by Michael Bond and is a charming and deferent family adventure that can be shared by generations of fans. It comes to Blu-ray from Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, crystal clear lossless surround sound and a disappointingly light supplemental offering. Paddington makes for pitch perfect family entertainment while looking terrific on Blu-ray. If you’re a fan feel free to add it to your collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Think you meant April 28th on that release date.

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings,

You piqued my interest to add this to the queue for family movie night, but after watching that youtube preview, I must say it looks pretty weak.
I felt very much the same after seeing the trailer. As I noted in my review it turned out to be better than the trailer would lead you to believe. Again, it's not destined for classic status but it's all good fun especially for the kids.

Ralph - I've added this bluray to my Redbox watch rental list, they show it's available on 4/28, we love family movies here!
http://www.redbox.com/movies/comingsoon
Will report back our impression after viewing.
Great! I look forward to hearing what you think.. :)

Regards,

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I echo Ralph's thoughts.. I wasn't very interested in the movie but took the kids to see it in the theater. It turned out to be way better than expected. I think this is a very recommendable movie for a family night, everyone will love it!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I thought it was neat to learn that the animation house that did Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy also did Paddington Bear. They specialize in doing lifelike animals for commercials, tv, and cinema.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Rented this via redbox tonight, let me tell you this movie won my heart over pure and simple.
Truly enjoyed it, my kids and I clapped at the ending.

Easily a recommend for any family to watch.

We watched this in the family room rather than the basement HT, which still has a 55" Vizio P series 4k UHDTV and 5.1 surround sound.
Sometimes it's nice to change up the viewing area now and then.
side note: there were a few LFE effects in the movie that woke up my family room subwoofer, a 12" Ultimax 4 cu ft ported sub tuned to 20hz, I was pleasantly surprised and not expecting that.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rented this via redbox tonight, let me tell you this movie won my heart over pure and simple.
Truly enjoyed it, my kids and I clapped at the ending.

Easily a recommend for any family to watch.

We watched this in the family room rather than the basement HT, which still has a 55" Vizio P series 4k UHDTV and 5.1 surround sound.
Sometimes it's nice to change up the viewing area now and then.
side note: there were a few LFE effects in the movie that woke up my family room subwoofer, a 12" Ultimax 4 cu ft ported sub tuned to 20hz, I was pleasantly surprised and not expecting that.
Greetings,

Great to hear Mike! Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Regards,

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
One of the best family movies to come out in years. I really expected to be bored out of my mind and the story sucked me right in I enjoyed the heck out of it. Now I want a pet bear :)

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One of the best family movies to come out in years. I really expected to be bored out of my mind and the story sucked me right in I enjoyed the heck out of it. Now I want a pet bear :)
Greetings,

Nice Dave! Although I am not certain how your better half would feel about that... :D

Regards,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts