AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
No offense but this might be the 20th time this question has been asked on this forum in the past year or two. So search!!

Yes, you can paint it and yes it will somewhat change the acoustic properties of tile alone but most here have a painted sheetrock ceiling...so who cares about the slight change I say. Colored tiles are more expensive and require special orders.

Brian

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Yes, this question is on repeat.

The tiles don't do much for acoustics anyway. Most install ceiling tiles so they can access plumbing and run wires later.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Use drywall tiles instead. I believe there is a special primer (PVA?) you can use for drywall and then paint them whatever color you please.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Or see what colors are available by going through a specialty distributor. Armstrong has black tiles (maybe other colors as well) that can't be ordered by home stores. I got my black 2'x2's this way and they ended up being cheaper than most of the plain white tiles at the home stores.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch

The tiles don't do much for acoustics anyway.
There goes the gazillion dollar ceiling tile industry with that careless statement.

Painting ceiling tiles should be avoided. Purchase colored tiles or even cover them with GoM fabric (crazy but true).

Steven

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Those tiles are so thin and light that they just absorb the really high frequencies. Drywall will absorb more than those ceiling tiles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.