AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of designing and building an electric roll-up screen with masking. I've read the posts on blackout cloth and gesso. Has anyone tried rolling up a screen after painting? Will the gesso flake or crack over time (or immediately)? Any other recommendations other than commercial screens?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have constructed my own electric roll-up screen, using artists canvass and gesso, and have not had any cracking problems so far. The canvass has had multiple layers of paint as I have tried to get the color, reflectivity correct and get an even coating, so if mine hasn't cracked so far I thinkk you should be OK.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've painted my old DIY electric roll-up screen, but I used auto interior paint fore it is flexible and it never cracked or flacked off and it been almost a year sense I painted it.

ddog!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Gesso is flexible as are all acrylic and oil artist paints. They are in fact meant to be rolled up and stored from time to time. The artist paint tempera is not flexible and must be applied to a stiff surface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.