AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to paint all of the trim, soffit, ceiling, and columns black in my theatre. A professional painter will be spraying this. The walls will be a rich, red textured paint and sound treatments will be Ethan's Realtraps (Black). The stage carpet and stage walls/curtains will be black.

My question: how glossy should the finish be for the black trim, and what kind of paint is best for mdf soffits, mdf columns, and wood trim? I have normally used a medium to high-grade interior latex on wood trim. Also, should the black ceiling be the same finish? I'm guessing a flat black on the ceiling is appropriate even if using a non-flat paint on the woodwork, but I'll defer to the experts here. I've considered using a color other than black on the ceiling so the room isn't too black, but I'm not sure what color to use with my color scheme (the colors of my alma mater).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would use flat paint on the ceiling for sure. As far as the trim goes, it comes down to a tradeoff of ideal environment for your projected image vs cosmetic considerations. Ideally, you would use flat paint here also but I think the trim should provide a pleasing cosmetic function. I came down on the side of the trim looking good and went with a gold semigloss trim. When the lights go down, I'm sure it does reflect some light to the screen but I am very happy with the choice.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
I look at it this way, you want to have a nice look and minimize refections. Flat balck ceiling looks and functions well and since no one touches the ceiling it can be flat with no maintenance. I used egg shell on the trim . It wipes off well with water and has much more class IMO than a gloss paint. I have always disliked gloss or semigloss as it's used so much in gyms, schools and hospitals.

Art

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.