AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to paint the speaker grills of my in-wall speakers. However, I noticed that there is a piece of white (acoustically transparent, I assume) material attached to the back of the metal grill. I am thinking that if I get paint on that material, it may block the sound. On the other hand, if I don't paint it, I wonder if I'll see little white dots in all of the holes of the grill.

Any tips on painting in-wall or in-ceiling speaker grills would be appreciated. I searched the forum but didn't find any relevant threads. Over in the speaker forum they don't really mention in-walls too often.

Thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
I painted my speaker grills, but they did not have any cloth (i.e GOM like) material attached to them. They almost have to be spray painted to look good. My speakers also came with a plastic mold of the speaker so you could cover the speaker and paint the trim (without overspraying the speaker). Mine turned out fine....but I will warn you....don't try to put the speaker grills back on until the paint is 100% dry. You can see 3 of my inwall's in the attached photo. Good luck!

-Jason

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should remove the cloth before painting.

The primary purpose of the "vanity" cloth is to hide the speaker drivers behind it. Depending on the mfg. the cloth may or may not be easy to remove. I replace it when I am done painting.

If you are matching the wall/ceiling color, then use the same paint. This is usually a latex flat paint, however, semi-gloss works best because it can be wiped clean.

1. Lightly "sand" the surface with steel wool. This will allow the pain to stick better.

2. If the wall/ceiling paint is dark, then you should spray paint the grills with a dark gray or black enamel primer. Otherwise, you will see the white sides of the holes when you look at the speaker on an angle. Use a very light coat and move the can quickly accross the grill, spraying at an angle to get inside the holes. You should also spray from the back side to get good coverage.

3. Use a small foam roller to apply the paint. These are the small 4" or 6" long rollers. Get a small roller pan, and pour in the paint. Don'[t thin the paint. I tried that but the paint won't stick as well.

4. Cover the roller with paint, and then roll out as much as you can on in the pan, and then again a paper towel. You want to put a thin coat on the speaker grill so it doesn't clog the holes. Let the 1st coat dry for about 30 min, then add another coat. If you get too much paint on the grill, wipe it off and start over.

5. A 3rd coat may be necessary.

6. If any holes get clogged, use a dry paint brush and dab the brissles into the holes until the paint is removed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From http://www.htd.com/inwallspeakers.html :

Installation Tip #3: If you will be painting the frame and grille, the best results are achieved by spraying on the paint. Rolling or brushing paint onto the grille often fills in the holes negatively impacting performance. A neat little spray gun can be purchased at your local paint store for around $5. The Preval Spray Gun (online for $19, in stores for $5) is a nice example. Guidelines for thinning the paint are included with the spray gun, although we have found that thinning the paint a little more than recommended actually works best. For latex paint (the most common), we recommend mixing one part water with one part paint. Two thin coats produce better results than one thick coat.

I bought one from Amazon for four bucks to paint seven grilles. Came out great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, DONT use a roller or brush. a friend of mine tried this and almsost completely filled in all of the holes. Go with the spray like jmike1 said.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I used a foam brush and that just barely had paint on it and used light, fast strokes across the grill. It took a number of coats, but I was able to get even coverage without having any holes filled with paint.

What ever you do, just take your time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.