AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new SVS PB12-ISD. The problem is i'ts silver and I want it to be black. Is it possible to paint this sub black? If so, what type of paint should I use? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Why didn't you just order a black one? Was it B-stock?

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
When I saw the topic, I immediately thought that what kind of an idiot wants to paint his new rosewood box etc. with some cheesy colour... :D

Luckily I was wrong.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a tremendous deal on it, that I couldn't pass up or I would have ordered a black one. So, am I able to paint it black?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
the paint will peel over time. So while it may look ok now it will look like crap in a few years

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
the paint will peel over time. So while it may look ok now it will look like crap in a few years
that would all depend on how he paints it...sure if he uses latex paint and a house roller it will peel. but if he preps the surface correctly and uses quality paint it should last forever.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
need4speed: How do you suggest I prep the surface correctly, you mean with a primer? Also, what type of paint should I use?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Aren't the ISD subs covered in vinyl? How do "properly prep" that? I'm not sure you can.

·
Registered
690 Posts
hoops10 - strange coincidence - I just finished painting a tan PB10-ISD black an hour ago. All you need to do is lightly sand the surface with some 320 grit sandpaper (to give the new paint a rough surface to adhere to), then use Krylon black spray paint (glossy will look better). Obviously, make sure you carefully mask off parts you don't want to paint (like the control panel). If you take your time, Krylon is great stuff, because it doesn't run (unless you get carried away) and it dries quickly - 12 minutes, according to the can. However, I would refrain from touching the paint for a few hours because it still needs time to cure completely.

Ross

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTracey
hoops10 - strange coincidence - I just finished painting a tan PB10-ISD black an hour ago. All you need to do is lightly sand the surface with some 320 grit sandpaper (to give the new paint a rough surface to adhere to), then use Krylon black spray paint (glossy will look better). Obviously, make sure you carefully mask off parts you don't want to paint (like the control panel). If you take your time, Krylon is great stuff, because it doesn't run (unless you get carried away) and it dries quickly - 12 minutes, according to the can. However, I would refrain from touching the paint for a few hours because it still needs time to cure completely.

Ross
Very close. I say at least take the sub apart completey before you do anything and then when you are done, let it sit for a day or two. Other then that, do everything else above.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice, but I don't know about taking it apart completly. I don't think that I would be able to put it back together the way it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops10
Thanks for the advice, but I don't know about taking it apart completly. I don't think that I would be able to put it back together the way it is supposed to be.
It's only 3 parts, amp, driver and base plate. Just take your time.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Label the wires.

As far as painting goes, here's some tips...

Do it on a day with low humidity. After it dries to the touch, let the finish bake in the sun for a few hours. The longer it bakes the finish, the more durable it will end up being.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.