AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a basement build. It is not a closed room but the lighting is pretty minimal and controlled. I have settled on the BenQ w1070, not sure how much of a screen size I want. I just want the sharpest picture out of the projector, probably around 110-120 inches.

Now my dilemma should I find a paint that will do it or do a fixed screen. Any suggestions? My budget is 300 and under.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You probably won't get a fixed screen for 300 $, I would focus on creating a smooth and uniform projection image area on the wall and surround it by black framing to enhance the contrast perception (dull white and black paint).

As for the "sharpest" picture out of a projector I'd recommend one with creative frame interpolation (CFI) and motion blur reduction.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Light control means the control of reflected light as well as light from other sources. Your finished image quality will suffer more from a room that is painted with light colors. Since you did not mention what color ceiling walls and floor are I thought I would mention that since it is probably the single most important factor.
Next, how much work do you want to do to save $100-$200.. Screen surface is, well, the thing that makes your image, it has to accurately reflect what is projected on it.. Screen surface has to be smooth with no visible texture from the viewing area, color neutral (does not change the color of the light it is reflecting) , 100% even reflective, no hot spotting with a very bright projector like you are using etc..
Can it be done, yep, or so they say in the DIY Screen forum. Pop over there and find out the tools and skills required to do it correctly, otherwise buy a manufactured screen, install it and enjoy it. Again, with the proper tools and skills, you can paint a better screen per $ than you can buy, but will you get it correctly the first time.. Same can be said for buying a screen.. people buy inexpensive screens and they have very bad texture, hotspoting etc. Normally this is not a problem with a high quality screen > $1000 as the sales folks make sure you are buying what should work well for your projector and environment.
Good luck with your project!

If interested, here is a link to a document that explains what makes a good screen and the results of testing on many of the manufactured screens.
http://www.accucalhd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

·
Registered
465 Posts
I decided on paint, and absolutely love it. DIY can be done...and pretty easily too. My friend who has literally no DIY experience at all and was almost certain he could never make a screen like that....ended up trying it and doing it perfectly too. You could obviously do it a lot cheaper than $300 if you had a nice flat wall that you could prime + paint on. All you'd need is paint, primer, and a spray gun. Below are a few shots that i took with my cell phone last night while watching the NBA playoffs. This screens performs awesome with ambient light as well. If you'd like i can take some photos during the day + lights on to show you the results.

10'x5' Sintra - $70 (I got a good deal...usually it's around $120-150 i think)
All Paint - $110-120 (I used SilverFirev2 3.0)
LEDs - $40
Wood Frame - Under $20
Spray Gun - $50

Total Under $300

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Why would you put lights around the screen? That will just degrade the image by adding ambient light in the room.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Why would you put lights around the screen? That will just degrade the image by adding ambient light in the room.
I actually think it looks pretty rad. I don't think the image degradation would be as much as you think, but I'm just not sure I would be able to handle the halo effect for a very long time.

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
Screen surface has to be smooth with no visible texture from the viewing area, color neutral (does not change the color of the light it is reflecting) , 100% even reflective, no hot spotting with a very bright projector like you are using etc..
Can it be done, yep, or so they say in the DIY Screen forum.
Here's one that I've tried out with excellent results:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Paint-the-Screen

The paint is Sherwin-Williams ProClassic, Extra White, Satin, Smooth Enamel Finish, # B20 WQ 8051

·
Registered
465 Posts
There is absolutely no degradation in the quality of the image using these LED lights. It reduces strain on the eyes and the improvement in perceived contrast ratio (black level, 'pop') is substantial IMO. It's not distracting at all, and I honestly prefer it now while I watch TV at all times of the day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we are going to paint the basement with a neutral gray color, the floors are going to be carpet. Not set on the color yet. I will more than likely keep a door on the basement floor for sound and light removal. There will be only one window in that room (which is a basement window) that will have a blind on it.

So it seems like painting is the way to go. I can choose any type of texturing so is there a particular name or style I should be looking at or just as flat as I can get it? Also, I am so confused about how many different type of paints can be used for a projector wall, is there one that you would recommend that is specifically for projection?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided on paint, and absolutely love it. DIY can be done...and pretty easily too. My friend who has literally no DIY experience at all and was almost certain he could never make a screen like that....ended up trying it and doing it perfectly too. You could obviously do it a lot cheaper than $300 if you had a nice flat wall that you could prime + paint on. All you'd need is paint, primer, and a spray gun. Below are a few shots that i took with my cell phone last night while watching the NBA playoffs. This screens performs awesome with ambient light as well. If you'd like i can take some photos during the day + lights on to show you the results.

LEDs - $40
Wood Frame - Under $20
Spray Gun - $50

Total Under $300

Looks awesome! Did you mount the frame underneath the screen for support, is that what the wood is used for? What type of projector are you using?

·
Registered
465 Posts

LEDs - $40
Wood Frame - Under $20
Spray Gun - $50

Total Under $300

Looks awesome! Did you mount the frame underneath the screen for support, is that what the wood is used for? What type of projector are you using?
Yea, i made a frame for the sintra with the wood and left the sintra over hanging a bit and wrapped the LED lights around the wood frame for the back-light effect. I'm using a Sony HW40ES. There are many ways to paint. I would highly suggest reading the DIY sub forum. I wanted the best known widely used solution, which is why i chose SilverFire v2. There is a very big thread in the DIY sub forum with lots of information. The paint is not the cheapest...was around 110-120 for everything i needed. There are definitely other much cheaper ways to do it as well.

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
I am so confused about how many different type of paints can be used for a projector wall, is there one that you would recommend that is specifically for projection?
As mentioned in the previous reply, a very good choice and readily available paint is the Sherwin-Williams ProClassic, Extra White, Satin, Smooth Enamel Finish, # B20 WQ 8051

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some pictures of the final product without content on it. Wow, i'm impressed with this Galaxy S6 camera...the detail in the high res shot is pretty good for a phone. That's probably the only one worth looking it.
Do you have the links for the DIY for that screen?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've seen first hand some great painted screens, and some really bad ones. It comes down to the wall prep and even painting. I've seen roller marks destroy a perfectly smooth wall, and I've seen perfect painting just lost by poor wall prep.

When it works, it looks really nice, but when it fails...

Keep in mind that some people's skills are different than others as well, and every wall is going to be different too, so what was quick and easy for one install, may not be for the next.

I am not saying not to going with a painted wall, I just wanted to add a dash of reality that it isn't always a simple job to get right.

If you decide not to go painted, you could try something like a Jamestown Home Theater Screen. I know someone that got a 140" screen from them and it said that it was super easy to put together. Granted he went with the Seymour XD screen material and not the base material, but you CAN get a 110" screen for under $300 in matte white or high contrast gray. Within an hour, you would be assembled and done.

Just tossing ideas out there, not saying that the end result would be better than a correctly painted screen, just offering an alternative that people have had success with.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've seen first hand some great painted screens, and some really bad ones. It comes down to the wall prep and even painting. I've seen roller marks destroy a perfectly smooth wall, and I've seen perfect painting just lost by poor wall prep.

When it works, it looks really nice, but when it fails...

Keep in mind that some people's skills are different than others as well, and every wall is going to be different too, so what was quick and easy for one install, may not be for the next.

I am not saying not to going with a painted wall, I just wanted to add a dash of reality that it isn't always a simple job to get right.

If you decide not to go painted, you could try something like a Jamestown Home Theater Screen. I know someone that got a 140" screen from them and it said that it was super easy to put together. Granted he went with the Seymour XD screen material and not the base material, but you CAN get a 110" screen for under $300 in matte white or high contrast gray. Within an hour, you would be assembled and done.

Just tossing ideas out there, not saying that the end result would be better than a correctly painted screen, just offering an alternative that people have had success with.
I don't disagree. It's for the right type of people. I personally am not much of a craftman...I just decided to put myself to the test and see what I could do. I was not wanting to spend a ton of money on a screen, but i wanted to mimic the $3500 black diamond with backlighting...cause I absolutely loved the look. You can get a Silver Ticket 120" grey screen for under $300 shipped to your door just as well. IMO you won't get as good performance as the SilverFire application, but you also spend a lot less time. Unbox it...snap it together...and throw it up.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Awesome! That looks like a very clean set-up. Can you also show me where you got the actual screen and wood?
The wood you can grab from home depot or lowes. You can also get all your T brackets and L brackets from home depot or lowes. Some pictures below. I got my Sintra from a friend who works at a company that makes a lot of signs and works with Sintra all the time. That's why i got it for $70. I believe your best bet is to look up Laird Plastics in your area. They sell it in 10' x 5' sheets...and even deliver it in most locations. My friend got his delivered to his door for around $140.

My actual frame...which is WAY overkill and heavy. I'd elect not to do it like this again...because it's pretty pointless.

I'd personally recommend doing something like this with poplar wood. It doesn't warp.

Glue i used for gluing the sintra to the frame. I did not use any screws. The sintra is light.

All the paint needed:

The look i was going for of the $3500 black diamond screen:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts