AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently managed to acquire a used-but-in-great-shape da-lite mobel B matte white pull-down screen, to pair with my 16x9 projector.

But the screen is 80inchesx80inches.

I was thinking of painting masking onto the screen, two big black sections, one at the top and one at the bottom -- leaving me with an 80x45 inch section that is white in the middle.

But since this screen is a pull-down model, I'm concerned about what kind of paint would be okay -- and not flake, crust, etc. when getting rolled up/unrolled.

I've done a search through the screens discussions but couldn't find something like this discussed anywhere.

Has anyone tried such a thing?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yes,

Go to your local Auto Paint store and get a can of interior paint ( they sell it in spray cans), flat black.

This paint is made to be used in the matter witch you intend to use it.

I hope this helps.

Ddog!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
One thing I've thought about but not sure if it would work is using adhesive of some sort and black velvet to really absorb the light.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ddog
Yes,

Go to your local Auto Paint store and get a can of interior paint ( they sell it in spray cans), flat black.

This paint is made to be used in the matter witch you intend to use it.

I hope this helps.

Ddog!!
This would be vinyl dye if I read this correctly. You might want to try this in a small sampling to see if it will absorb completely. Also, be prepared to do this outside, this stuff's fumes are highly offensive and toxic. If it works, it will be a nice inexpensive solution. I use this stuff to recolor computer drives (cd-roms, floppies, etc.) for custom rigs.

Diana

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by ddog
Quote:
Originally posted by Huntress
This would be vinyl dye if I read this correctly.
Excellent. Thanks. I think I'll only get confused now if these turn out to be two different things... :)

Quote:
Originally posted by CalypsoCowboy

using adhesive of some sort and black velvet to really absorb the light.[/b]
I think that with this, I would have to pull the velvet off each time I want to roll up the screen? I'm still trying to assess whether I should use the pull-down feature or just remove the screen and mount it on the wall. In my current apt, the wall is used for nothing, really. But if I were to change the setup (moving to another apt, or even move within the same room) the pull-down aspect would probably be necessary.

Something I've thought about that might be useful and almost work: Since I'll have the screen painted to be 16x9, maybe a little black velcro, and a couple of small panels of black velvet to further mask to 4x3 (for example) might be useful. I could remove the velvet each time I roll up the screen, and maybe the velcro on the screen would interfere with it too much...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It's vinyl dye.

Ddog!!

I use it on the sides of my roll up screen and it works good.

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I see that my local Kragen has something called: Duplicolor VS1

VINYL SPRAY-BLACK for about $5. Guess I'll take a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Just make sure it's flat black.

·
Registered
209 Posts
any tips on best way to do this with a recycled dalite model c?

I have a 10x10 that i would like to cut down and use on as a 54x96 screen. Is this stuff easy to work with?

What would be the best way to tape off the screen section?

I was concerned about the paint/dye "bleeding/wicking" into the white portion and blurring the edges?

If anyone can help thanks

rudee

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't tried this yet (waiting for the rainy season to slacken, since I'll have to do this outside and let it dry for a few hours before bring it indoors). But I'll report back when I do.

My plan is to test in a corner, let that dry, and decide it's "okay". Then:

Using masking tape and newpaper, protect the area that should stay white, and make the rest of the screen black. Perhaps easier said than done....

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally had a sunny weekend. Works great. Here's what I learned:

It's pretty much just like using spray-paint. Maybe someone can be more detailed about the technique, but that it what it seemed like and that is how I used it.

Make sure your masking is REALLY GOOD. I used a little too much paint in one area along the masking which was a touch loose and got some seepage. I was able to scrape it off, but it was a serious pain and that probably wouldn't have worked as a solution if it was larger than an inch or so.

Painting a roughly 2.35:1 space across a square 7 foot screen: One can does not seem to be enough paint -- or I was using it too thickly. So the job is not quite done: Everything even close to the white image area is fine, but if I pull down the screen all the way, I then get another patch of white. So at some point I pick up another can and finish that area. Luckily it's relatively far from the image, so it's not killing me right now.

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I purchased enough black velcro tape to do a line all the way across the bottom of the screen and top of the screen. But I am going to live without side-masking for a few more weeks and see how crazy it makes me.

My concern is that in the week I've spent with this 2.35:1 screen, I've noticed that movies really do vary a lot -- so if I have some black felt that I hang for the side masks, I'd need at least 5 different sizes to get it just right for each kind of movie. Would be much nicer to have a curtain which is "infinitely adjustable" but that's not a real option with a roll-up screen.

But the other concern that you mention is a big one, too: I probably won't be able to roll it up any longer -- or, if I do, it will probably damage the screen....

The thing with my setup if that I don't really need to be able to roll it up, where it is, now. So maybe curtains or something other sort of masking solution is really what I should be looking at...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.