AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm preparing my front wall for Screen Goo, and I primed the area where the Goo will be as the Goo salesman recommended. Unfortunately, I primed that area and I overshot the area by at least 6-8" in some places because at the time, I didn't know exactly where the screen would be.

Now, I painted the surrounding area of the screen blue to match the rest of the room before I paint the Goo.

Problem?

The place where I overshot the screen area dries/looks DIFFERENT then the rest of the wall. Its a lighter blue, and there is no elegant border - its the crazy border that I left when I primed. Its noticeable and annoying me so much.

I tried a second coat of blue over the whole thing and really tried to use a lot of paint along the border and smooth it out. Its drying now, but I can already see the liter primed area coming back a lighter blue than the unprimed areas next to it.

The paint on the unprimed areas was antique white from the builder of my house.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I don't think a third coat will do it at this point.

My only idea is to reprime the ENTIRE wall and then paint blue over it, but I don't even know if that will work.

Thanks much in advance.

-Larry

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
I would let the paint dry a couple days and see how it looks. If it still doesn't look good, you need to prime the wall and repaint.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
How about actually creating some type of border?

I suspect, however, multiple coats of paint will do it, unless the original paint was very old.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I ran into something similar on this project. We were too quick to paint after skin coating, not finding all the flaws first. After the primer and first color coat, the flaws became obvious and I went back and patched/sanded some areas. Then forgetting to re-prime I color coated again. The patched areas stuck out like sore thumbs, especially in reflected light! Another color coat helped but not enough.

I did a quick surface sand, a few small patches, then re-primed and all looked well on the next color coat.

The paint will show everything under it. If this color coat doesn't look good enough (not so much in coverage as in texture), then surface sand and prime the whole wall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There will be a moulding painted black as a border, but I overshot the primer way too much to cover all of it with just moulding.

I landed up priming the entire wall last night and this morning. I'm going to sand whatever looks bad and reprime, and then I'll paint blue over that. Hopefully I wont see any bad priming job from underneath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.