AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ok so I've researched and researched but cant find what i need, just confused. I'm not new to forums, just to the theater forums.

I've decided to remodel my theater and I really want to mac it out.

while searching for theater room ideas I ran across this paint solutions for a screen. Well I have a infocus 4805 and I have it playing on my wall, no special paint, just the original white flat paint all new homes come with. picture looks nice but I know it can look better.

I still want to use the wall for the screen, its already framed.

I read of this mix (Painting 70/30 mix of 70-Behr Silverscreen & 30-White Perlessence over flat white base coat). if so who would mix this, the store or me? also are both of those paints flat?

I also read that theres a diff mix for the infocus 4805, dont know how true that is.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have an Infocus IN72 which is similar to your 4805.

How big is your screen?

How bright does it look to you on your white wall?

How are the blacks?

Is your room painted a dark color?

Do you use low lamp mode, or high?

What areas of performance are you trying to improve?

In general, a light gray is what I would suggest unless the picture looks dim to you now. A light gray screen will improve the quality of the blacks at the expense of a little brightness. That's a good trade if not taken too far. Simply mixing some satin poly with a light shade of flat gray wall paint will work better than plain flat white paint. Here's one of my screenshots on a screen like I'm suggesting. This screen is a little on the small size at about 82". I use the projector on low lamp mode. Room wall colors are very dark.

If your room is dark colored, and you feel your current picture is too dim, then mixing the satin poly with white paint may be a better option.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1-the screen i have set to the max, i believe its about 100"

2-the picture looks good to me but it is a little on the light side.

3-the blacks are a bit light.

4-my home is new so i havent painted yet, thats why im gonna finish my theater room now so i will be painting the room dark, im thinking dark chocolate or something, i dont want to go all black.

5-the lamp os set at factory settings which is in low lamp mode.

6-i just want a clear looking picture like yours here.

thanks again..

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykissimmee /forum/post/14267720

1-the screen i have set to the max, i believe its about 100"

2-the picture looks good to me but it is a little on the light side.

3-the blacks are a bit light.

4-my home is new so i havent painted yet, thats why im gonna finish my theater room now so i will be painting the room dark, im thinking dark chocolate or something, i dont want to go all black.

5-the lamp os set at factory settings which is in low lamp mode.

6-i just want a clear looking picture like yours here.

thanks again..

Quoting Tiddler..."True Value "Winter Mist" is about an N8.6, while Benjamin Moore "Misty Gray" is an N9."

Sounds like a light gray like Winter Mist, or Misty gray would be a good choice. The gray will improve the blacks, and the satin poly in the mix will help retain similar whites to what you have now. Since you are painting on the wall, I'd use about one part poly to four parts flat paint. Adding too much poly may tend to show any defects in the wall surface. There's another mix called cream and sugar that you should look into. I suspect it would perform very similar to what I've suggested, and might not tend to show wall defects as much. I'm guessing about that though.

Since you are painting your house, you will have plenty of paint to experiment with on some test panels. You could get a quart mixed that is darker gray than you want, and mix it with white to it to make different shades of gray.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts