AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the areas where TS and GOM are applied to the walls, is it necessary to paint the wall a dark color or is the covering sufficiently opaque?

·
Registered
27,310 Posts
You must paint!

Even using GOM FR 701, I needed black primer, and two coats of flat black. The material is thin. I used Insulshield and did paint behind similarly as well but only on the screen wall.

Other fabrics, like puzzle 4145 have white batting behind them and are fine. It has a much tighter weave than the FR 701 but is out of the direct light of the projector.

The area around the screen wall is probably the most important area to make sure is properly painted under the material. If you are using a micro-perf, absolutely paint the material behind the screen as well as the bright light / light spill will expose the light colors under the material.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Raw drywall should be primed with PVA primer even if covered with batting.

My HT was signed off as an empty rec room, the HT fitting out was off permit. But the inspection did require the drywall be at least primed to get final sign off, reason, health issue from dust.

And beyond that, it's just good practice IMO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had planned to use a tinted primer on all surfaces, but was unsure as to the necessity of using expensive finish-coat paint on areas which will then be covered by 1" of TS and GOM.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Theater Shield", an acoustic fiberglass insulation product made by Johns-Manville. It is applied over the drywall to tame reflections.

·
Registered
268 Posts
dkramer3,

Thanks. One last idiot question. Is Insul-shield the same as Theater Shield or are they two distinct and different products (how so if they are)?

·
Registered
908 Posts
TheaterShield was replaced by InsulShield. Both were/are manufactured by Johns Manville. Accoustically they are very similar. I used TS in my theater.

Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
The entire area behind my screen is covered with TS. TS is sufficiently dense such that there was no reason to paint the drywall underneath it. I did paint my screen wall with flat black and covered it with GOM FR701. However, no where else in my theater was it necessary to paint the surfaces under the fabric. Take a look at my website and you'll see what I mean.

Also look at my columns. I covered the speakers in my columns with white polyester batting. I then covered the batting with black GOM FR701. I cannot see the white through the black fabric. And believe me, that fabric is stretched tight.

·
Registered
703 Posts
One thing I did forget to paint the same color as the batting or TS (depending on what was there) is the furing strips. There are a couple that do not have trim over them (near corners) that the color of the wood shows through where the black TS has a nice dark backround to it. You can defiantly see the lighter wood color show up through...so dont forget to paint the furing strips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.