AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered a Viewsonic 8100 and will be projecting it onto a Level 5 (soupy drywall applied with paint roller) prepared drywall surface to hide any blemishes. My issue is "El Toro"
He is my loving and buckwild 45 pound 23 month old who will reek havoc on my painted wall. I opted against my chances of a pulldown or fixed screen lasting very long.

My assumption is that I could get a can of Kilz Premium White and add colorant to it that would get me towards grey and provide a paint that could be touched up. I know with straight Kilz I could repaint the screen every couple of months until the bull and I can have a meaningful heart to heart about leaving Daddy's toys alone. I was hoping to get a bit better blacks out of the Viewsonic.

The room is an L config with viewing area 16 long by 12 wide. I am going to ceiling mount the projector in a "Batcave". 115 or 120 inch diagonal depending on preference. The kids will watch Pixar's fare over and over and I will go the gaming/BluRay route. Once I am comfortable with the screen staying in one piece I will probably HVLP one of the moderate gain/contrast increasing options. I have a buddy who works for Wilsonart so that may be a possibility going forward.

It is soooooo cool what $1200.00 buys you these days in the video world.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts
Simply use 1 gallon Flat White Interior Enamel mixed with 24 oz Poly and 8 oz Delta Silver Metallic....16 Oz Delta White Pearl....2 oz Folk Art Champagne Gold, and roll on 3 good coats w/3/16" Nap Roller over 2 Rolled coats of White primer.

You'll have plenty of left-overs to repair those Baby Bovine "Boo Boo"s, but even so, the cured surface will be a lot tougher than primer, and it will present a far better image than Kilz-2 alone could ever muster..

But best of all, you'll have enough gain to drop the Veiwsonic into Low lamp and further help out it's lower-than-average Dynamic/Native Contrast.

I'm interested in how the Veiwsonic unit performs. By this weeks end I'm getting a hold of a new Optoma HD20 1080p 1700 lumen $999.00 wonder, and using it on a 49" x 37" DARK HUED SF painted "Rear Projection" Window screen to duplicate an Salt Water Aquarium effect that will be seen both Day & Night, both inside & out.

Wait'll all ya all see dose screen shots.

Things are always changing..........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am assuming I can reveiew some threads and the specifics of these paint recommendations will be available. Man this projector is huge, but it looks fantastic on the ceiling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MM- I am confused on your paint recommendation- I have an Epson 1600 lumens with 10,000:1 contrast- will that work for me as well- screen size 112" diag. If yes, then help me with your paint mix-Do I go to Lowes, or whatever and tell them to mix all that together? Do you have paint codes? Where are the Delta paints from? Also, waht is the poly I see everyone talking about?

Sorry for all the questions

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev68SS /forum/post/17171892

MM- I am confused on your paint recommendation- I have an Epson 1600 lumens with 10,000:1 contrast- will that work for me as well- screen size 112" diag. If yes, then help me with your paint mix-Do I go to Lowes, or whatever and tell them to mix all that together?

No, even though the suggested Mix is not complicated, it does consist of a few elements that must come from a Craft Supply store. Mixing it requires the use of a Mixing tool called a "Squirrel Cage" mixer.

Quote:
Do you have paint codes?

No, the mix above is strictly a "DIY" toss together of varied individual ingredients.

Quote:
Where are the Delta paints from?

The most popular place is a "Michael's Arts & Crafts" store, or similar "Artist Supply". A Web Order is another option.

Quote:
Also, what is the poly I see everyone talking about?

Sorry for all the questions

Minwax "Water Based" SATIN finish

Home Depot / Lowes / Michaels carry it, as to many hardware supply outlets, prices for a Quart vary though. Shop.

Recently it has come to my attention that some...if not most stores and web outlets have stopped stocking the Delta "Pearl finish" in the larger 8 oz. Bottles. The 2 oz. bottles are however still readily available.

A RS-MaxxxMudd "primer" thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...82#post6389182

1 - 7 of 7 Posts